Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 04:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is x^2 greater than x ?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Expert Post
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 2315
Followers: 241

Kudos [?]: 2053 [0], given: 677

Is x^2 greater than x ? [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2013, 15:45
Expert's post
3
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

61% (01:48) correct 39% (00:48) wrong based on 56 sessions
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 16 Nov 2010
Posts: 1692
Location: United States (IN)
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 275 [1] , given: 36

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Is x^2 greater than x ? [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2013, 17:14
1
This post received
KUDOS
1) x < -1 means that x^2 > x , e.g. -2, -1.5 are all positive so x^2 > x, sufficient

2) x^2 > 1 means that |x| > 1, so if x is either say -1.5 or 1.5, then x^2 > x, sufficient.

Answer - D
_________________

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4573
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1029

Kudos [?]: 4465 [2] , given: 162

Re: Is x^2 greater than x ? [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2013, 20:21
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
carcass wrote:
Is x^2 greater than x ?

(1) x is less than -1.

(2) x^2 is greater than 1.


For 700+ level questions, you should know these properties of numbers very well:

When is x^2 > x?
For all negative values of x (since the square will be positive) or whenever x > 1 (Square will be more than the number).

When is x^2 < x?
When 0 < x < 1

When is x^3 > x?
When x > 1 or -1 < x < 0

When is x^3 < x?
When 0 < x < 1 or x < -1

Draw them on the number line and mark the corresponding regions. Take examples from each region to convince yourself why the squares and cubes behave this way. Then, memorize both the diagrams!

Coming back to this question:
(1) x is less than -1.
For negative numbers, x^2 is more than x. So answer is 'Yes'. Sufficient.

(2) x^2 is greater than 1
implies mod x is greater than 1 or we can say, x is greater than 1 or less than -1. In either case, x^2 is greater than x. So answer is 'Yes'. Sufficient.

Answer (D)
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 2315
Followers: 241

Kudos [?]: 2053 [0], given: 677

Re: Is x^2 greater than x ? [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2013, 03:54
Expert's post
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
carcass wrote:
Is x^2 greater than x ?

(1) x is less than -1.

(2) x^2 is greater than 1.


For 700+ level questions, you should know these properties of numbers very well:

When is x^2 > x?
For all negative values of x (since the square will be positive) or whenever x > 1 (Square will be more than the number).

When is x^2 < x?
When 0 < x < 1

When is x^3 > x?
When x > 1 or -1 < x < 0

When is x^3 < x?
When 0 < x < 1 or x < -1

Draw them on the number line and mark the corresponding regions. Take examples from each region to convince yourself why the squares and cubes behave this way. Then, memorize both the diagrams!

Coming back to this question:
(1) x is less than -1.
For negative numbers, x^2 is more than x. So answer is 'Yes'. Sufficient.

(2) x^2 is greater than 1
implies mod x is greater than 1 or we can say, x is greater than 1 or less than -1. In either case, x^2 is greater than x. So answer is 'Yes'. Sufficient.

Answer (D)



Thanks Karishma :) I know: I 'm working to memorize these rules and tackle the question with more proficiency.

Infact at the moment I 'm quite comfortable with this question but I'm working on how attack a question from an odd angle i.e. trying different strategy.

This is why I posted here this question. Please see if I did correct

x^2 > x or x^2 - x > 0

This imply that x < 0 and x > 1

1) x < - 1 suff

2) x^2 > 1 basically says x > 1 suff

In less than 50 seconds. Is fine or I'm wrong ??

Thanks a lot :)
_________________

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension

TOEFL iBT
Best resources to tackle each section of the TOEFL iBT

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 18714
Followers: 3238

Kudos [?]: 22296 [1] , given: 2612

Re: Is x^2 greater than x ? [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2013, 04:11
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
carcass wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
carcass wrote:
Is x^2 greater than x ?

(1) x is less than -1.

(2) x^2 is greater than 1.


For 700+ level questions, you should know these properties of numbers very well:

When is x^2 > x?
For all negative values of x (since the square will be positive) or whenever x > 1 (Square will be more than the number).

When is x^2 < x?
When 0 < x < 1

When is x^3 > x?
When x > 1 or -1 < x < 0

When is x^3 < x?
When 0 < x < 1 or x < -1

Draw them on the number line and mark the corresponding regions. Take examples from each region to convince yourself why the squares and cubes behave this way. Then, memorize both the diagrams!

Coming back to this question:
(1) x is less than -1.
For negative numbers, x^2 is more than x. So answer is 'Yes'. Sufficient.

(2) x^2 is greater than 1
implies mod x is greater than 1 or we can say, x is greater than 1 or less than -1. In either case, x^2 is greater than x. So answer is 'Yes'. Sufficient.

Answer (D)



Thanks Karishma :) I know: I 'm working to memorize these rules and tackle the question with more proficiency.

Infact at the moment I 'm quite comfortable with this question but I'm working on how attack a question from an odd angle i.e. trying different strategy.

This is why I posted here this question. Please see if I did correct

x^2 > x or x^2 - x > 0

This imply that x < 0 and x > 1

1) x < - 1 suff

2) x^2 > 1 basically says x > 1 suff

In less than 50 seconds. Is fine or I'm wrong ??

Thanks a lot :)


Everything is correct except the red part above.

Is x^2 greater than x ?

Is x^2 > x? --> is x(x-1)>0? Is x<0 or x>1? So, as Karishma correctly noted above x^2>x hods true for all negative values of x as well as for values of x which are more than 1.

(1) x is less than -1. If x is negative, then x^2=positive>x=negative. Sufficient.

(2) x^2 is greater than 1 --> x^2>1 --> |x|>1 --> x<-1 or x>1 --> for both case x^2>x. Sufficient.

Answer: D.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 2315
Followers: 241

Kudos [?]: 2053 [0], given: 677

Re: Is x^2 greater than x ? [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2013, 05:21
Expert's post
Quote:

Everything is correct except the red part above.

Is x^2 greater than x ?

Is x^2 > x? --> is x(x-1)>0? Is x<0 or x>1? So, as Karishma correctly noted above x^2>x, for all negative value of x as well as for values of x which are more than 1.

(1) x is less than -1. If x is negative, then x^2=positive>x=negative. Sufficient.

(2) x^2 is greater than 1 --> x^2>1 --> |x|>1 --> x<-1 or x>1 --> for both case x^2>x. Sufficient.

Answer: D.



grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr always this silly stupid dumb mistake :wall: I'm not so far from a good score ( >=48 )

and always if you do not know the sign of x you can't square both sides, simply.


thanks both of you :roll:
_________________

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension

TOEFL iBT
Best resources to tackle each section of the TOEFL iBT

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 1715
Followers: 164

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Is x^2 greater than x ? [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2014, 09:26
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Re: Is x^2 greater than x ?   [#permalink] 13 Jul 2014, 09:26
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic Is x^2 greater than x-y? steilbergauf 1 13 May 2014, 05:31
5 Experts publish their posts in the topic Is x^2 greater than x ? Bunuel 8 09 Feb 2014, 23:24
Experts publish their posts in the topic Is x^2 greater than x ? metallicafan 7 20 Jun 2012, 09:44
Is x^2 greater than x? (1) x^2 is greater than x^3 (2) x^2 lumone 2 03 Jun 2008, 07:21
Is x^2 greater than x? 1) x^2 is greater than 1 2) x is netcaesar 5 18 Oct 2006, 12:24
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Is x^2 greater than x ?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.