Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 17:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is x>3 ? 1. (x-1)(x-2)(x-3)>0 2. x>1

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 May 2011
Posts: 10
GMAT 1: 600 Q37 V35
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

GMAT ToolKit User
Is x>3 ? 1. (x-1)(x-2)(x-3)>0 2. x>1 [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2011, 16:14
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 2 sessions
Is x>3 ?

1. (x-1)(x-2)(x-3)>0
2. x>1
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2011
Posts: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: DS - is x>3? [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2011, 18:43
1
This post received
KUDOS
I would choose E: none of them helps.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Jul 2011
Posts: 5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: DS - is x>3? [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2011, 18:55
1
This post received
KUDOS
Ok we need a yes or no. Is x>3 ?

2) x > 1: it could be 2,3 so answer is No. it could be 4,5,6,7,8 so answer is YES. Two possible answers thus Insufficient.

Between A C and E

3) Lets say that you take the time to solve statement one:

(x - 1)(x - 2)
= x^2 - 2x - x + 2
= x^2 - 3x + 2

(x^2 - 3x + 2) (x - 3)
= x^3 - 3x^2 - 3x^2 + 9x + 2x - 6
= x^3 - 6x^2+ 11x - 6
Sure x^3 - 6x^2+ 11x - 6 > 0 you probably are going to have more than one result so insufficient.

Between C or E

Put them together and:
You know that from st (2) x > 1

so try using 2 in

(x-1)(x-2)(x-3)>0

(2-1)(2-2)(2-3)>0
(1)(0)(-1)> 0
0>0 not true, thus we can not use the number two or 3, because it could give the same result.

so x could be 4,5,6,7,8,9,10...
Use 4 and

(4-1)(4-2)(4-3)>0
(3)(2)(1)>0
6>0 check

its (4,5,6,7,8,9,10...) x > 3 ? YES always.

Thus C
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 May 2011
Posts: 10
GMAT 1: 600 Q37 V35
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: DS - is x>3? [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2011, 18:57
K... I thought about it. In this case X can be a fraction. X could be 5/4, in that case we cannot say that x>3. this is actually a GMAT club test question. I am leaning towards E since they have not specified that X is an integer. Thoughts?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Sep 2011
Posts: 52
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 9

Re: DS - is x>3? [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2011, 19:06
parama79 wrote:
K... I thought about it. In this case X can be a fraction. X could be 5/4, in that case we cannot say that x>3. this is actually a GMAT club test question. I am leaning towards E since they have not specified that X is an integer. Thoughts?

Yes you're right. E is correct answer if the question does not specify that X has to be an integer.

A would be the correct answer if X must be an integer.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Jul 2011
Posts: 5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: DS - is x>3? [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2011, 19:16
KickingGmat wrote:
Ok we need a yes or no. Is x>3 ?

2) x > 1: it could be 2,3 so answer is No. it could be 4,5,6,7,8 so answer is YES. Two possible answers thus Insufficient.

Between A C and E

3) Lets say that you take the time to solve statement one:

(x - 1)(x - 2)
= x^2 - 2x - x + 2
= x^2 - 3x + 2

(x^2 - 3x + 2) (x - 3)
= x^3 - 3x^2 - 3x^2 + 9x + 2x - 6
= x^3 - 6x^2+ 11x - 6
Sure x^3 - 6x^2+ 11x - 6 > 0 you probably are going to have more than one result so insufficient.

Between C or E

Put them together and:
You know that from st (2) x > 1

so try using 2 in

(x-1)(x-2)(x-3)>0

(2-1)(2-2)(2-3)>0
(1)(0)(-1)> 0
0>0 not true, thus we can not use the number two or 3, because it could give the same result.

so x could be 4,5,6,7,8,9,10... or 1.25,
Use 4 and

(4-1)(4-2)(4-3)>0
(3)(2)(1)>0
6>0 check

its (1.25,4,5,6,7,8,9,10...) x > 3 ? YES and NO two answers.

Thus E



Yes as some of other users said it does not specify that is an Integer

Last edited by KickingGmat on 16 Oct 2011, 19:30, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Sep 2011
Posts: 52
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 9

Re: DS - is x>3? [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2011, 19:17
KickingGmat wrote:
KickingGmat wrote:
Ok we need a yes or no. Is x>3 ?

2) x > 1: it could be 2,3 so answer is No. it could be 4,5,6,7,8 so answer is YES. Two possible answers thus Insufficient.

Between A C and E

3) Lets say that you take the time to solve statement one:

(x - 1)(x - 2)
= x^2 - 2x - x + 2
= x^2 - 3x + 2

(x^2 - 3x + 2) (x - 3)
= x^3 - 3x^2 - 3x^2 + 9x + 2x - 6
= x^3 - 6x^2+ 11x - 6
Sure x^3 - 6x^2+ 11x - 6 > 0 you probably are going to have more than one result so insufficient.

Between C or E

Put them together and:
You know that from st (2) x > 1

so try using 2 in

(x-1)(x-2)(x-3)>0

(2-1)(2-2)(2-3)>0
(1)(0)(-1)> 0
0>0 not true, thus we can not use the number two or 3, because it could give the same result.

so x could be 4,5,6,7,8,9,10...
Use 4 and

(4-1)(4-2)(4-3)>0
(3)(2)(1)>0
6>0 check

its (4,5,6,7,8,9,10...) x > 3 ? YES always.

Thus C



Sorry. I made a mistake in statement one:
(x-1)(x-2)(x-3)>0

Just numbers greater than 4 can be use to satisfy the statement, thus A

This question does not specify that X has to be an integer. There are fractions of where X=<3 that satisfies equation 1. Therefore statement 1 is NOT sufficient.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Sep 2011
Posts: 89
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 15

Re: DS - is x>3? [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2011, 19:27
^ What fractions satisfy equation 1? I'm leaning towards A.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Sep 2011
Posts: 52
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 9

Re: DS - is x>3? [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2011, 19:32
DexDee wrote:
^ What fractions satisfy equation 1? I'm leaning towards A.

Any fraction between 1 and 2

e.g. 5/3

You end up with 1 positive number and two negative numbers that when multiplied together gives you a positive number, which is >0.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Jul 2011
Posts: 5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: DS - is x>3? [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2011, 19:34
DexDee wrote:
^ What fractions satisfy equation 1? I'm leaning towards A.


5/4 = 1.25

(1.25-1)(1.25-2)(1.25-3)>0
Positive Negative Negative

0.25(-0.75)(-1.75)>0

0.328125>0
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 May 2011
Posts: 10
GMAT 1: 600 Q37 V35
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: DS - is x>3? [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2011, 19:53
The OA is E. Since fractions cannot be ruled out in this case. Statement B is totally useless. Statement A gives us varying results.
Director
Director
User avatar
Status: My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Joined: 27 Jun 2011
Posts: 894
Followers: 62

Kudos [?]: 157 [0], given: 57

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: DS - is x>3? [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2011, 13:38
It looks like A to me!!!!!!!!!
_________________

General GMAT useful links-->

Indian Bschools Accepting Gmat | My Gmat Daily Diary | All Gmat Practice CAT's | MBA Ranking 2013 | How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale | GMAT MATH BOOK in downloadable PDF format| POWERSCORE CRITICAL REASONING BIBLE - FULL CHAPTER NOTES | Result correlation between GMAT and GMAT Club's Tests | Best GMAT Stories - Period!

More useful links-->

GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios| GMAT and MBA 101|Everything You Need to Prepare for the GMAT|New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>|GMAT ToolKit: iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android application|

Verbal Treasure Hunt-->

"Ultimate" Study Plan for Verbal on the GMAT|Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read)|Best Verbal GMAT Books 2012|Carcass Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section|Ultimate GMAT Grammar Book from GC club [Free Download]|Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia|Souvik's The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC|ALL SC Rules+Official Qs by Experts & Legendary Club Members|Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik|Critical Reasoning Shortcuts and Tips|Critical Reasoning Megathread!|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- CR|GMAT Club's Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- RC|Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia|ALL RC Strategy+Official Q by Experts&Legendary Club Members

----
---
--
-


1 KUDOS = 1 THANK


Kick Ass Gmat

GMAT Forum Moderator
avatar
Status: Accepting donations for the mohater MBA fund
Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 1860
Location: United States
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 412 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: DS - is x>3? [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2011, 04:54
Already posted:

ds-is-x-48216.html

Please search in the future before posting.
_________________

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: DS - is x>3?   [#permalink] 18 Oct 2011, 04:54
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
2 In the sequence of positive numbers x_1 , x_2 , x_3 ,... Vyacheslav 4 10 Jan 2010, 13:43
In the sequence of positive numbers x_1, x_2, x_3 what vaivish1723 1 12 Jun 2009, 22:27
1 If the sequence x{_1} , x{_2} , x{_3} , ...., x{_n} , ....is jimmylow 3 17 Jul 2008, 02:03
6 Experts publish their posts in the topic In the sequence of positive numbers x1, x2, x3, ..., what M8 7 14 May 2006, 04:20
If the sequence X(1), X(2), X(3),...,X(n),..is such that rahulraao 5 08 Oct 2005, 03:18
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Is x>3 ? 1. (x-1)(x-2)(x-3)>0 2. x>1

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.