Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 04:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is x^4 + y^4 > z^4?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Is x^4 + y^4 > z^4? [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2010, 22:51
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

49% (02:12) correct 51% (01:21) wrong based on 223 sessions
Is x^4 + y^4 > z^4?

(1) x^2 + y^2 > z^2
(2) x + y > z
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Bunuel on 03 Jul 2013, 00:32, edited 2 times in total.
Added the OA.
Expert Post
13 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3233

Kudos [?]: 22243 [13] , given: 2602

Re: Gmat Prep exponent [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2010, 23:03
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Is x^4+y^4>z^4?

The best way to deal with this problem is plugging numbers. Remember on DS questions when plugging numbers, goal is to prove that the statement is not sufficient. So we should try to get a YES answer with one chosen number(s) and a NO with another.

(1) x^2+y^2>z^2
It's clear that we get YES answer very easily with big x and y (say 10 and 10), and small z (say 0).

For NO answer let's try numbers from Pythagorean triples:
x^2=3, y^2=4 and z^2=5 (x^2+y^2=7>5=z^2) --> x^4+y^4=9+16=25=z^4, so we have answer NO (x^4+y^4 is NOT more than z^4, it's equal to it).

Not sufficient.

(2) x+y>z. This one is even easier: again we can get YES answer with big x and y, and small z.

As for NO try to make z some big enough negative number: so if x=y=1 and z=-5, then x^4+y^4=1+1=2<25=z^4.

Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) As we concluded YES answer is easily achievable. For NO try the case of x^2=3, y^2=4 and z^2=5 again: x+y=\sqrt{3}+\sqrt{4}>\sqrt{5} (\sqrt{3}+2 is more than 3 and \sqrt{5} is less than 3), so statement (2) is satisfied, we know that statement (1) is also satisfied (x^2+y^2=7>5=z^2) and x^4+y^4=9+16=25=z^4. Not sufficient.

Answer: E.

Hope it's clear.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Gmat Prep exponent [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2010, 18:23
Thanks for the explanation. I keep forgetting the unknowns could be negative numbers.
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 444 [1] , given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Gmat Prep exponent [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2010, 02:39
This post received
KUDOS
utin wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

Can it be done using algebra???

Yes ! and it is fairly simple as well ...

(1) x^2+y^2>z^2
Both sides are positive, so we can square them up
x^4+y^4+2x^2y^2>z^4
For statement to be true or false, we need to know the magnitude of 2x^2y^2. So insufficient

(2) x+y>z
Let me take the special case, x,y,z>0. If we cannot answer for that case, we can certainly not answer in general.
Now simply take both sides to the fourth power :
x^4+y^4+4x^3y+6x^2y^2+4xy^3>z^4
Again unless we know the extra terms, we cannot say for sure. So insufficient

(1+2) Again consider the special case for positive numbers only. Even then we don't have enough information to say anything. Do the same manipulation as above and it is easy to see that inequality two has the same terms on the LHS as inequality 1 and some extra terms on top. So clearly its enough to look at 1, which we know is not sufficient to give us an answer, so insufficient

Answer is (e)

Math write-ups
1) Algebra-101 2) Sequences 3) Set combinatorics 4) 3-D geometry

My GMAT story

Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 22243 [0], given: 2602

Re: Gmat Prep exponent [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2010, 03:45
Expert's post
utin wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

Great question. Yes you can use algebra, but as shown by shrouded1 above you'd better not. Below is great note from ManhattanGMAT tutor Ron Purewal about this problem:

"this problem should serve as a nice wake-up call to any and all students who don't like "plug-in methods", or who abjure such methods so that they can keep searching ... and searching ... and searching for the elusive "textbook" method.
this problem is pretty much ONLY soluble with plug-in methods. therefore, you MUST make plug-in methods part of your arsenal if you want a fighting chance at all quant problems you'll see.

this is the case for a great many difficult inequality problems, by the way: the most difficult among those problems will often require some sort of plug-ins, or, at the very least, they will be hell on earth if you try to use theory."

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1029

Kudos [?]: 4455 [0], given: 162

Re: Is x^4 + y^4 > z^4? [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2010, 18:59
Expert's post
gmatbull wrote:
Is x^4 + y^4 > z^4?

(1) x^2 + y^2 > z^2
(2) x + y > z

What do you think is the fastest approach to solving this question?

This is the approach I used. It isn't algebraic and it isn't completely based on plugging numbers either (though I am explaining using plugs). It seemed intuitive to me, but your opinion could be different.

Stmnt 1: x^2 + y^2 > z^2
I do not like x^4 + y^4 > z^4, powers of 4 since I do not know how to work with them in multiple ways. I prefer squares.
So I look at the question in this way:
Stmnt 1: X + Y > Z (X, Y and Z are all positive)
Is X^2 + Y^2 > Z^2?
Now it is intuitive to say "Yes, it is." because if X = 8, Y = 9 and Z = 1, it is.
The problem is, is there a case in which I would answer "No".
X^2 + Y^2 > Z^2 reminds me of pythagorean triplets where X^2 + Y^2 = Z^2. I check the easiest one 3, 4, 5. I get "No". Hence this is not sufficient.
The toughest part of the question is over.

Stmnt 2: x + y > z
Again, intuitive to say "Yes" because if X = 8, Y = 9 and Z = 1, the answer is yes.
And very easy to say "No" because if x = root(3), y = root(4) and z = root(5), x^4 + y^4 is not greater than z^4

We have used the same examples in both the cases to get a "Yes" and a "No" hence using both together, we will not get the answer.
Answer (E).

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 349

Kudos [?]: 1683 [1] , given: 354

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Gmat Prep exponent [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2010, 19:31
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Nice question. Here is my reasoning that allowed me to solve the problem pretty fast.

The inequity true for X=Y=Z=1 --> 1+1>1

Now, let's increase Z (X=Y=1). Z^2 will grow faster than Z but slower than Z^4. So, at some point Z^4 will be greater than 2 but Z^2 and Z will be lesser than 2 and still both conditions will be satisfied. So E.

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Gmat Prep exponent [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2011, 22:17
i worked only with positives on this one. Plug and chug approach...
Stmnt 1: x^2 + y^2 > z^2
plug in 1 for each, you will see that the statement holds.
if you plug in 2 for x and y...3 for z the statement falls apart
Same logic for statement 2
Answer: E
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 249 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: Gmat Prep exponent [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2012, 10:26
shrouded1 wrote:
utin wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

(1) x^2+y^2>z^2
x^4+y^4+2x^2y^2>z^4
For statement to be true or false, we need to know the magnitude of 2x^2y^2. So insufficient

(2) x+y>z
Let me take the special case, x,y,z>0. If we cannot answer for that case, we can certainly not answer in general.

(1+2) Again consider the special case for positive numbers only. Even then we don't have enough information to say anything. Do the same manipulation as above and it is easy to see that inequality two has the same terms on the LHS as inequality 1 and some extra terms on top. So clearly its enough to look at 1, which we know is not sufficient to give us an answer, so insufficient

Answer is (e)

I have doubts about this method. In statement 1, although we don't know the mangnitude of 2x^2y^2, we know that this expression cannot take any arbitrary value; its value depends on the values of x^2 and y^2.
I have picked different numbers, and I have not found a combination in which z^4 is less than x^4+y^4+2x^2y^2. What do you think?

I solved the question, picking numbers directly.
It is a 700+ question, isn't it?

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

CAT Tests
Re: Is x^4+y^4>z^4? (1) x^2+y^2>z^2 (2) x+y>z [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2012, 10:01
Damn i felt stupid when i saw this question. Should you have the knowledge to solve this kind of questions to hit a 700+ score, before starting your prep to gmat?
Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: Is x^4+y^4>z^4? (1) x^2+y^2>z^2 (2) x+y>z [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2012, 10:41
Expert's post
Shadow88 wrote:
Damn i felt stupid when i saw this question. Should you have the knowledge to solve this kind of questions to hit a 700+ score, before starting your prep to gmat?

This is definitely a hard question, but some practice should help to deal with such kind of questions in the future.

Try the following inequality questions to practice:

PS: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=184
PS: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=189

Hard inequality and absolute value questions with detailed solutions: inequality-and-absolute-value-questions-from-my-collection-86939.html

Hope it helps.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 28

Re: Gmat Prep exponent [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2012, 16:55
shrouded1 wrote:
utin wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

(1) x^2+y^2>z^2
x^4+y^4+2x^2y^2>z^4

(2) x+y>z

Answer is (e)

Having a problem in statement (1)

(1) x^2+y^2>z^2
x^4+y^4+2x^2y^2>z^4
2x^2y^2>=0. so why isnt this sufficient?

If 2x^2y^2>=0 then either X or Y equals 0 (but not both!). which implies that if x=0, y^2>z^2 ===> y^4>z^4 or y=0 x^2>z^2 ===> x^4>z^4 , in both cases sufficient. What I am doing wrong? What am I not considering?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Owen '15, Olin '15
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V31
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Gmat Prep exponent [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2012, 18:45
alphabeta1234 wrote:
shrouded1 wrote:
utin wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

(1) x^2+y^2>z^2
x^4+y^4+2x^2y^2>z^4

(2) x+y>z

Answer is (e)

(1) x^2+y^2>z^2
x^4+y^4+2x^2y^2>z^4

If 2x^2y^2>=0 then either X or Y equals 0 (but not both!). which implies that if x=0, y^2>z^2 ===> y^4>z^4 or y=0 x^2>z^2 ===> x^4>z^4 , in both cases sufficient. What I am doing wrong? What am I not considering?

Hi there:
You are right on those calculations, but one thing you seem to have neglect: 2x^2y^2>=0 (yes, and for sure), but do we really need to add this term for x^4+y^4>z^4 to be true, what if it means little to the equality, 1000>10, and 1000+1>10, but you could not logically conclude that just because 1>0 and thus 1000<10. I use a totally different approach for this question: it will be relatively easy to find a confirming result giving either statement, just use ridiculous numbers to prove, there is no need to compute, say x=1000 and y=1, and z=10. Therefore, what matters is that if we can find refuting evidence given those( or either statements), I have not actually computed those equations, but as you can recall from the number properties, a number 0<and <1 will decrease when the power increases. For statement 1, we just need to find if there are x^2<1 and Y^2<1, and Z^2>1 (and possible be very close to the left side so that we can find a countering example)..We surely can, for instance, if x=y=.9, and z=1.6. We know that squaring each term on the left side will decrease the value and squaring the right side will increase the value, so bingo, we found it, and S1 is thus insufficient.
For statement 2, the pythagorean is the best approach IMO, 3,4,5 are so handy and could be easily validated or you can use my strategy to stay consistent. Combine those will still be insufficient. Hope that helps. :-D
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1029

Kudos [?]: 4455 [0], given: 162

Re: Gmat Prep exponent [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2012, 01:54
Expert's post
alphabeta1234 wrote:

(1) x^2+y^2>z^2
x^4+y^4+2x^2y^2>z^4

Ok, say you know that a+b > c and that b is positive. Can you say that a is definitely greater than c?

Given that x^4+y^4+2x^2y^2>z^4 and you know that 2x^2y^2 is positive or 0, can you say that x^4+y^4>z^4 ?
Isn't it possible that 2x^2y^2 part of the left hand side is making the left hand side greater than the right hand side?

Assume, x = \sqrt{3}, y = 2 andz = \sqrt{5}
x^2+y^2>z^2 but x^4+y^4=z^4

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: Is x^4 + y^4 > z^4? [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2013, 23:54
Expert's post
Bumping for review and further discussion*. Get a kudos point for an alternative solution!

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

To find DS questions by Kudos, sort by Kudos here: gmat-data-sufficiency-ds-141/
To find PS questions by Kudos, sort by Kudos here: gmat-problem-solving-ps-140/

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Gmat Prep exponent [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2014, 12:00
Bunuel wrote:
Is x^4+y^4>z^4?

The best way to deal with this problem is plugging numbers. Remember on DS questions when plugging numbers, goal is to prove that the statement is not sufficient. So we should try to get a YES answer with one chosen number(s) and a NO with another.

(1) x^2+y^2>z^2
It's clear that we get YES answer very easily with big x and y (say 10 and 10), and small z (say 0).

For NO answer let's try numbers from Pythagorean triples:
x^2=3, y^2=4 and z^2=5 (x^2+y^2=7>5=z^2) --> x^4+y^4=9+16=25=z^4, so we have answer NO (x^4+y^4 is NOT more than z^4, it's equal to it).

Not sufficient.

(2) x+y>z. This one is even easier: again we can get YES answer with big x and y, and small z.

As for NO try to make z some big enough negative number: so if x=y=1 and z=-5, then x^4+y^4=1+1=2<25=z^4.

Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) As we concluded YES answer is easily achievable. For NO try the case of x^2=3, y^2=4 and z^2=5 again: x+y=\sqrt{3}+\sqrt{4}>\sqrt{5} (\sqrt{3}+2 is more than 3 and \sqrt{5} is less than 3), so statement (2) is satisfied, we know that statement (1) is also satisfied (x^2+y^2=7>5=z^2) and x^4+y^4=9+16=25=z^4. Not sufficient.

Answer: E.

Hope it's clear.

Bunuel, is this reasoning correct?

Is x^4 + y^4 > z^4?

So 1st Statement

x^2 + y^2 > z^2

If you square both sides then you have (x^2 + y^2)^2 > z^4
Now since both exponents are even then the total in LHS will be greater than x^4 + y^4
So we cannot really know if by themselves they will be greater than x^4 + y^4 > z^4?

From 2nd Statement

Following the same reasoning
If you elevate both sides to the fourth power then you have (x + y)^4 > z^4
Again this is not sufficient

From both combined

Not sufficient either. We really can't tell

So I think the correct answer for this one should be (E)

Please let us know ok?
Thanks
Cheers
J
Re: Gmat Prep exponent   [#permalink] 05 Feb 2014, 12:00