Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Sep 2016, 21:48
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is x a negative number?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

5 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Affiliations: CFA Level 2 Candidate
Joined: 29 Jun 2009
Posts: 221
Schools: RD 2: Darden Class of 2012
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 190 [5] , given: 2

Is x a negative number? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2009, 15:01
5
This post received
KUDOS
17
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

33% (01:45) correct 67% (00:33) wrong based on 563 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Is x a negative number?

(1) x^2 is a positive number.

(2) x*|y| is not a positive number.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Bunuel on 29 Dec 2013, 03:34, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question and added the OA.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 Sep 2009
Posts: 129
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 323 [1] , given: 6

Re: Is X Negative? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2009, 15:40
1
This post received
KUDOS
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The answer is E.

Statement 1: x^2 is a positive number.

x can either be positive or negative. Insufficient.

Statement 2: x*|y| is not a positive number.

There are two possible cases:

1st case: x*|y| < 0, therefore x must be negative.
2nd case: x*|y| = 0, therefore x or y can be zero, and this doesn't prove anything about x.

Therefore, insufficient.

Evaluating both Statements

We know that |x| > 0, and that x*|y| <= 0. If y is non-zero, X must be negative. However, if Y = 0, then it doesn't matter what X is. Insufficient.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2007
Posts: 2492
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 707 [0], given: 19

Re: Is X Negative? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2009, 22:32
hogann wrote:
Is x a negative number?

(1) \(x^2\) is a positive number.

(2) x · |y| is not a positive number.


Does statement 1 add any additional info to the question?
_________________

Verbal: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: http://gmatclub.com/forum/everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html


GT

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 Sep 2009
Posts: 129
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 323 [0], given: 6

Re: Is X Negative? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2009, 23:04
GMAT TIGER wrote:
hogann wrote:
Is x a negative number?

(1) \(x^2\) is a positive number.

(2) x · |y| is not a positive number.


Another flawed question.
Does statement 1 adds any additional info to the question?
Didi you get the question correctly from its source?
Source???


It lets us know that x is not equal to zero.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2007
Posts: 2492
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 707 [0], given: 19

Re: Is X Negative? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2009, 23:39
AKProdigy87 wrote:
GMAT TIGER wrote:
hogann wrote:
Is x a negative number?

(1) \(x^2\) is a positive number.

(2) x · |y| is not a positive number.


Does statement 1 adds any additional info to the question?


It lets us know that x is not equal to zero.


Thanks.. That makes sense.
_________________

Verbal: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: http://gmatclub.com/forum/everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html


GT

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Oct 2013
Posts: 180
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 590 Q40 V30
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
WE: Project Management (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 29

Re: Is X Negative? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2013, 03:26
is x>0?

1. \(x^2=positive.\)

NS. x could be both a positive number and a negative number.

2 x|y| is not a positive number

different scenarios unfold from this expression. x|y|= -ve number, 0, or a positive rational number.

case a) |y| is not zero and x is negative. The answer would be yes
b) if |y| is zero the value of x is concealed (x is either positive or negative).
c) x can be a positive rational number and |y| a positive integer or a positive rational number.
d) x can be a negative rational number and |y| zero.

NS

1+2) combining the informations provided doesn't help to define a clear answer.
NS and the answer is E.
_________________

learn the rules of the game, then play better than anyone else.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 11652
Followers: 527

Kudos [?]: 141 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Is x a negative number? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2015, 08:44
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 7460
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Followers: 330

Kudos [?]: 2206 [0], given: 162

Re: Is x a negative number? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2015, 13:27
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi All,

This question can be solved by TESTing VALUES.

We're asked if X is a negative number. This is a YES/NO question.

Fact 1: X^2 is a positive number.

IF....
X = 2
X^2 = 4
The answer to the question is NO.

X = -2
X^2 = 4
The answer to the question is YES.
Fact 1 is INSUFFICIENT.

Fact 2: (X)|Y| is NOT a positive number.

IF....
Y = 0
X = 2
The answer to the question is NO.

Y = 0
X = -2
The answer to the question is YES.
Fact 2 is INSUFFICIENT

Combined, the two TESTs that we did in Fact 2 ALSO "fit" Fact 1, so we end up with NO and YES answers.
Combined, INSUFFICIENT

Final Answer:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
E


GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests

60-point improvement guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Feb 2015
Posts: 75
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 15

Is x a negative number? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2015, 06:46
Hi there,

I did reach the correct answer but i am not sure If my reasoning is fully correct (specifically statement 2). I assumed the following:

(1) x^2 is a positive number.

Statement 1 is obviously not sufficient since x could be either positive or negative and the result when squaring both types would still be positive. Since there might be two possible cases for x, this statement is Insufficient.

(2) x*|y| is not a positive number.

Statement 2 can be broken down into two cases since we are mainly looking at the absolute value of "y" (|y|).

Case 1: The absolute value of |y| is positive.
If "y" is positive, and "x" being multiplied with "+y"
1. Assuming that "x" is positive will give us a positive product. (Contradicting to the original statement which states that " x*|y| is not a positive number)
2. Assuming that "x" is negative will give us a negative product. (Lets assume that at the moment it tells you that "x" is negative)

Case 2: The absolute value of |y| is negative.
If "y" is negative, "x" being multiplied with "-y"
1. Assuming that "x" is positive will give us a negative product.
2. Assuming that "x" is negative will give us a positive product. (Again totally contradicting with the original statement which states that " x*|y| is not a positive number) & also If x were negative, it should have matched with our 1st case second assumption)

Again "x" could have either of these two signs, we cannot be sure if "x" is negative or positive, Hence this case also does not help us in determining the value for x.

Looking at the above reasoning, statement 2 itself is not sufficient.

Combining these two statements also does not help us determining the sign of "x" since statement (1) does not add any additional information and statement (2) as already described does not help us either. Therefore both statements are not sufficient to answer the question. Answer E.
Expert Post
Math Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 20 Mar 2014
Posts: 2643
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 107

Kudos [?]: 1230 [0], given: 786

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Is x a negative number? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2015, 06:59
HarveyKlaus wrote:
Hi there,

I did reach the correct answer but i am not sure If my reasoning is fully correct (specifically statement 2). I assumed the following:

(1) x^2 is a positive number.

Statement 1 is obviously not sufficient since x could be either positive or negative and the result when squaring both types would still be positive. Since there might be two possible cases for x, this statement is Insufficient.

(2) x*|y| is not a positive number.

Statement 2 can be broken down into two cases since we are mainly looking at the absolute value of "y" (|y|).

Case 1: The absolute value of |y| is positive.
If "y" is positive, and "x" being multiplied with "+y"
1. Assuming that "x" is positive will give us a positive product. (Contradicting to the original statement which states that " x*|y| is not a positive number)
2. Assuming that "x" is negative will give us a negative product. (Lets assume that at the moment it tells you that "x" is negative)

Case 2: The absolute value of |y| is negative.
If "y" is negative, "x" being multiplied with "-y"
1. Assuming that "x" is positive will give us a negative product.
2. Assuming that "x" is negative will give us a positive product. (Again totally contradicting with the original statement which states that " x*|y| is not a positive number) & also If x were negative, it should have matched with our 1st case second assumption)

Again "x" could have either of these two signs, we cannot be sure if "x" is negative or positive, Hence this case also does not help us in determining the value for x.

Looking at the above reasoning, statement 2 itself is not sufficient.

Combining these two statements also does not help us determining the sign of "x" since statement (1) does not add any additional information and statement (2) as already described does no help us either. Therefore both statements are not sufficient to answer the question. Answer E.


Your reasoning is correct but a bit more time consuming. A quicker way is to realise |y| \(\geq\)0 for all y. Thus for statement 2, you get 2 cases;

Case 1: When y = 0 , x*|y|\(\leq\)0 , then x be either negative or positive and hence not sufficient. you could have stopped here as you get 2 possible answers for x.

Case 2: when y \(\neq\)0, then x MUST be <0 for x*|y| \(\leq\)0. Although this case does give a unique "yes" to "is x<0?" but with case 2, statement 2 is not sufficient.

Had it been the case that the question stem mentioned that either y=0 or y\(\neq\)0 , then we could have eliminated 1 case and showed that statement 2 is indeed sufficient.

Hope this helps.
_________________

Thursday with Ron updated list as of July 1st, 2015: http://gmatclub.com/forum/consolidated-thursday-with-ron-list-for-all-the-sections-201006.html#p1544515
Rules for Posting in Quant Forums: http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html
Writing Mathematical Formulae in your posts: http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html#p1096628
GMATCLUB Math Book: http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-math-book-in-downloadable-pdf-format-130609.html
Everything Related to Inequalities: http://gmatclub.com/forum/inequalities-made-easy-206653.html#p1582891
Inequalities tips: http://gmatclub.com/forum/inequalities-tips-and-hints-175001.html
Debrief, 650 to 750: http://gmatclub.com/forum/650-to-750-a-10-month-journey-to-the-score-203190.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2015
Posts: 269
GMAT 1: 540 Q39 V26
GMAT 2: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT 3: Q V
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 162

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Is x a negative number? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2015, 10:35
Engr2012 wrote:
HarveyKlaus wrote:
Hi there,

I did reach the correct answer but i am not sure If my reasoning is fully correct (specifically statement 2). I assumed the following:

(1) x^2 is a positive number.

Statement 1 is obviously not sufficient since x could be either positive or negative and the result when squaring both types would still be positive. Since there might be two possible cases for x, this statement is Insufficient.

(2) x*|y| is not a positive number.

Statement 2 can be broken down into two cases since we are mainly looking at the absolute value of "y" (|y|).

Case 1: The absolute value of |y| is positive.
If "y" is positive, and "x" being multiplied with "+y"
1. Assuming that "x" is positive will give us a positive product. (Contradicting to the original statement which states that " x*|y| is not a positive number)
2. Assuming that "x" is negative will give us a negative product. (Lets assume that at the moment it tells you that "x" is negative)

Case 2: The absolute value of |y| is negative.
If "y" is negative, "x" being multiplied with "-y"
1. Assuming that "x" is positive will give us a negative product.
2. Assuming that "x" is negative will give us a positive product. (Again totally contradicting with the original statement which states that " x*|y| is not a positive number) & also If x were negative, it should have matched with our 1st case second assumption)

Again "x" could have either of these two signs, we cannot be sure if "x" is negative or positive, Hence this case also does not help us in determining the value for x.

Looking at the above reasoning, statement 2 itself is not sufficient.

Combining these two statements also does not help us determining the sign of "x" since statement (1) does not add any additional information and statement (2) as already described does no help us either. Therefore both statements are not sufficient to answer the question. Answer E.


Your reasoning is correct but a bit more time consuming. A quicker way is to realise |y| \(\geq\)0 for all y. Thus for statement 2, you get 2 cases;

Case 1: When y = 0 , x*|y|\(\leq\)0 , then x be either negative or positive and hence not sufficient. you could have stopped here as you get 2 possible answers for x.

Case 2: when y \(\neq\)0, then x MUST be <0 for x*|y| \(\leq\)0. Although this case does give a unique "yes" to "is x<0?" but with case 2, statement 2 is not sufficient.

Had it been the case that the question stem mentioned that either y=0 or y\(\neq\)0 , then we could have eliminated 1 case and showed that statement 2 is indeed sufficient.

Hope this helps.


X is not a negative number. Does this mean X can be 0, which is non negative, or X can be a positive number?

Pls. Help. I went with B, which has two cases.

Case 1: Where x=0, I'm getting y as a non negative.
Case 2: is clear that x is 0.
_________________

Fais de ta vie un rêve et d'un rêve une réalité

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 20 Mar 2014
Posts: 2643
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 107

Kudos [?]: 1230 [1] , given: 786

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Is x a negative number? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2015, 10:43
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
SauravPathak27 wrote:

X is not a negative number. Does this mean X can be 0, which is non negative, or X can be a positive number?

Pls. Help. I went with B, which has two cases.

Case 1: Where x=0, I'm getting y as a non negative.
Case 2: is clear that x is 0.


Look below:

For x = non positive or not a positive number : x \(\leq\) 0

For x = non negative or not a negative number : x \(\geq\) 0

Yes, when you say x is NOT a negative number, then x can be = 0.

Hope this helps.
_________________

Thursday with Ron updated list as of July 1st, 2015: http://gmatclub.com/forum/consolidated-thursday-with-ron-list-for-all-the-sections-201006.html#p1544515
Rules for Posting in Quant Forums: http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html
Writing Mathematical Formulae in your posts: http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html#p1096628
GMATCLUB Math Book: http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-math-book-in-downloadable-pdf-format-130609.html
Everything Related to Inequalities: http://gmatclub.com/forum/inequalities-made-easy-206653.html#p1582891
Inequalities tips: http://gmatclub.com/forum/inequalities-tips-and-hints-175001.html
Debrief, 650 to 750: http://gmatclub.com/forum/650-to-750-a-10-month-journey-to-the-score-203190.html

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 112
Schools: ISB '18
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 57

Re: Is x a negative number? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2015, 10:12
hogann wrote:
Is x a negative number?

(1) x^2 is a positive number.

(2) x*|y| is not a positive number.




Help needed!

I have tried solving modulus questions but I tend to get stuck in every other question. :cry:

Please let me know where am I going wrong.

1. x^2 is positive: this implies that x is not equal to 0.

2. x*|y| is not a positive number: this means that x<=0. Not sufficient as x can be zero or negative.

both combined state that x is not zero but negative.

Hence C.

Also, can someone please advice how to approach DS when it comes to absolute values.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 20 Mar 2014
Posts: 2643
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 107

Kudos [?]: 1230 [1] , given: 786

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Is x a negative number? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2015, 10:35
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
longfellow wrote:
hogann wrote:
Is x a negative number?

(1) x^2 is a positive number.

(2) x*|y| is not a positive number.




Help needed!

I have tried solving modulus questions but I tend to get stuck in every other question. :cry:

Please let me know where am I going wrong.

1. x^2 is positive: this implies that x is not equal to 0.

2. x*|y| is not a positive number: this means that x<=0. Not sufficient as x can be zero or negative.

both combined state that x is not zero but negative.

Hence C.

Also, can someone please advice how to approach DS when it comes to absolute values.



Your analysis of statement 2 is not correct. When its given x|y| \(\neq\) positive ---> x|y| \(\leq\) 0 ---> This MAY or MAY NOT mean that x \(\leq\) 0.

Consider 2 cases:

Case 1: when x|y| <0 ---> as |y| can not be <0 ---> x<0

Case 2: when x|y| =0 ---> both x and |y| separately or together be = 0, you can not say anything about sign of 'x'. x|y| =0 when |y|=0 for all x or when x=0 for all |y|.

Thus when you combine the 2 statements, you still might get a case with |y|=0 for x=-3, this satisfies both statements and will give you a "yes" for the question asked.

but, with |y|=0 for x=3, this satisfies both statements and will give you a "no" for the question asked. Thus E is the correct answer. There are other cases as well but you dont have to spend time on ALL possible cases. As soon as you get 2 contradictory answers in a DS question, mark E and move on.


As for your question on how to approach modulus questions: it does not depend on whether the question is asked in PS or DS. The logic remains the same.

3 points you need to remember:

1. For any modulus or absolute value of 'x' = |x| , |x|\(\geq\) 0 (ALWAYS)

2. |x-a| means the distance of 'x' from 'a'

3. for solving modulus questions, |x-a|=0, you need to look at 2 cases:

i) when x-a < 0 --->|x-a| = -(x-a)
ii) when x-a \(\geq\) 0 --->|x-a| = (x-a)

You can remember this by assuming a=0 and x=-5, then |x| = 5 = -(-5)=-x but if x=5, then |x|=5=x

Additional reading: math-absolute-value-modulus-86462.html

http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-math- ... te-values/

PS Absolute questions for practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=58

DS Absolute questions for practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=37

Hope this helps.
_________________

Thursday with Ron updated list as of July 1st, 2015: http://gmatclub.com/forum/consolidated-thursday-with-ron-list-for-all-the-sections-201006.html#p1544515
Rules for Posting in Quant Forums: http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html
Writing Mathematical Formulae in your posts: http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html#p1096628
GMATCLUB Math Book: http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-math-book-in-downloadable-pdf-format-130609.html
Everything Related to Inequalities: http://gmatclub.com/forum/inequalities-made-easy-206653.html#p1582891
Inequalities tips: http://gmatclub.com/forum/inequalities-tips-and-hints-175001.html
Debrief, 650 to 750: http://gmatclub.com/forum/650-to-750-a-10-month-journey-to-the-score-203190.html

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 112
Schools: ISB '18
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 57

Re: Is x a negative number? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2015, 18:08
Engr2012 wrote:
longfellow wrote:
hogann wrote:
Is x a negative number?

(1) x^2 is a positive number.

(2) x*|y| is not a positive number.




Help needed!

I have tried solving modulus questions but I tend to get stuck in every other question. :cry:

Please let me know where am I going wrong.

1. x^2 is positive: this implies that x is not equal to 0.

2. x*|y| is not a positive number: this means that x<=0. Not sufficient as x can be zero or negative.

both combined state that x is not zero but negative.

Hence C.

Also, can someone please advice how to approach DS when it comes to absolute values.



Your analysis of statement 2 is not correct. When its given x|y| \(\neq\) positive ---> x|y| \(\leq\) 0 ---> This MAY or MAY NOT mean that x \(\leq\) 0.

Consider 2 cases:

Case 1: when x|y| <0 ---> as |y| can not be <0 ---> x<0

Case 2: when x|y| =0 ---> both x and |y| separately or together be = 0, you can not say anything about sign of 'x'. x|y| =0 when |y|=0 for all x or when x=0 for all |y|.

Thus when you combine the 2 statements, you still might get a case with |y|=0 for x=-3, this satisfies both statements and will give you a "yes" for the question asked.

but, with |y|=0 for x=3, this satisfies both statements and will give you a "no" for the question asked. Thus E is the correct answer. There are other cases as well but you dont have to spend time on ALL possible cases. As soon as you get 2 contradictory answers in a DS question, mark E and move on.


As for your question on how to approach modulus questions: it does not depend on whether the question is asked in PS or DS. The logic remains the same.

3 points you need to remember:

1. For any modulus or absolute value of 'x' = |x| , |x|\(\geq\) 0 (ALWAYS)

2. |x-a| means the distance of 'x' from 'a'

3. for solving modulus questions, |x-a|=0, you need to look at 2 cases:

i) when x-a < 0 --->|x-a| = -(x-a)
ii) when x-a \(\geq\) 0 --->|x-a| = (x-a)

You can remember this by assuming a=0 and x=-5, then |x| = 5 = -(-5)=-x but if x=5, then |x|=5=x

Additional reading: math-absolute-value-modulus-86462.html

http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-math- ... te-values/

PS Absolute questions for practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=58

DS Absolute questions for practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=37

Hope this helps.





Thanks a lot! I can see where I went wrong. :idea: I assumed y to be a non zero value hence deduced the incorrect answer.

10 Kudos to you, Engr2012!! :)
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Build your own dreams,Otherwise some one else will hire you to build there's.
Joined: 30 Apr 2015
Posts: 107
Location: India
Concentration: Finance
Schools: BYU-Marriott'18
GMAT 1: 590 Q45 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V34
GPA: 3.68
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 30

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Is x a negative number? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2015, 19:13
why do i keep on forgetting that zero......which BTW originated in my own country.. :(
_________________

"Follow your heart and realize that your dream is a dream for a reason"
-Dori Roberts

Re: Is x a negative number?   [#permalink] 28 Sep 2015, 19:13
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
3 Experts publish their posts in the topic If x is a negative number, what is the value of x? goodyear2013 2 29 Mar 2014, 16:05
20 Experts publish their posts in the topic If x and y are negative numbers, is x<y? nitin6305 13 13 Aug 2013, 11:44
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic if x and y are negative numbers, is x<y yezz 1 15 May 2013, 09:09
6 Experts publish their posts in the topic Is x a negative number? Bunuel 16 06 Aug 2012, 03:11
21 Experts publish their posts in the topic Is x negative? gi 34 21 Dec 2009, 13:01
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Is x a negative number?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.