Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 10:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is x/m*(m^2+n^2+k^2)=xm+yn+zk?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [2] , given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Is x/m*(m^2+n^2+k^2)=xm+yn+zk? [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2010, 02:29
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

76% (02:39) correct 24% (02:03) wrong based on 237 sessions

(1) z/k=x/m
(2) x/m=y/n

This is just an awful arithmetic problem. Can't I just pick numbers and PIN them? The problem is: as soon as I choose numbers for all of the variables, I ALWAYS get a definite answer...
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Can I PIN this? [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2010, 05:45
heyholetsgo wrote:
Is x/m(m^2+n^2+k^2)=xm+yn+zk?
1.)z/k=x/m
2.)x/m=y/n

This is just an awful arithmetic problem. Can't I just pick numbers and PIN them? The problem is: as soon as I choose numbers for all of the variables, I ALWAYS get a definite answer...

This is easier than it looks,

\frac{x}{m}(m^2+n^2+k^2)

xm + \frac{x}{m}*n^2 + \frac{x}{m}*k^2

Now if you see the second term can be written as \frac{x}{m}*n^2= \frac{x}{m}*n *n = y*n

Where \frac{x}{m}*n = y

Similarly for the third term z= \frac{x}{m}*k

Now if you see both the statements, you will be able to figure out that Statement 1 is giving you the value for Z and Statement 2 is giving you the value of Y

Hope this helps.
Expert Post
9 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3247

Kudos [?]: 22401 [9] , given: 2619

Re: Can I PIN this? [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2010, 06:57
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
heyholetsgo wrote:
(1) z/k=x/m
(2) x/m=y/n

Is \frac{x}{m}(m^2+n^2+k^2)=xm+yn+zk? -->multiply both part by m, to get rid of fraction part and open the brackets --> xm^2+xn^2+xk^2=xm^2+ynm+zkm --> xm^2 will cancel out and the question becomes is xn^2+xk^2=ynm+zkm

(1) \frac{z}{k}=\frac{x}{m} --> zm=kx --> substitute zm with kx --> is xn^2+xk^2=ynm+xk^2 --> xk^2 will cancel out and the question becomes is "xn^2=ynm?" Not sufficient.

(2) \frac{x}{m}=\frac{y}{n} --> xn=ym --> substitute ym with xn --> is xn^2+xk^2=xn^2+zkm --> xn^2 will cancel out and the question becomes "is xk^2=zkm?" Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) is xn^2+xk^2=ynm+zkm? --> substitutein from (1) and (2) --> is xn^2+xk^2=xn^2+xk^2? Answer is YES. Sufficient.

Answer: C.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: Can I PIN this? [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2010, 07:50
Bunuel - Your explanations are excellent. They are clear, articulate and to the point. Thank you for your continued support.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 13

Re: Can I PIN this? [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2010, 20:03
What is PIN? Picking numbers? I think for numbers with this many variables, it's much better to go for a conceptual approach. It's too easy to make a careless math error, or some weird math property or cancellation comes up.

If you liked my post, please consider thanking me with Kudos! I really appreciate it! :)

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Can I PIN this? [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2010, 07:55
Thanks guys.
Yes, PIN means plugging in numbers. I just prefer doing that.
However, if I do that I will always get a solution! If both sides of the equation are equal, the solution is YES and if both sides of the equation are unequal the solution would be NO. As it is a DS question, it is solvable no matter if it's YES or NO.
But can I do that? It seems weird that I will always get one solution as soon as the ratio of all variables are given!
Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1030

Kudos [?]: 4484 [5] , given: 162

Re: Can I PIN this? [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2010, 12:02
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
A question with too many variables should not be done by picking numbers. Takes too much time, plus prone to errors.
then again, if you are short on time, and have barely half a minute, plug in and run.. Let me take both methods:

Proportion: This question tests your understanding of ratios and proportion.

Concept tested: If \frac{x}{m} = \frac{y}{n} = \frac{z}{k}, then \frac{x}{m} = \frac{y}{n} = \frac{z}{k} = \frac{{x+y+z}}{{m+n+k}}

Question: Is \frac{x}{m}(m^2+n^2+k^2)=xm+yn+zk?
or Is \frac{x}{m}=\frac{xm+yn+zk}{(m^2+n^2+k^2)}?

1.)x/m = z/k
Since we have no information about n and y, this is not sufficient. If you are not convinced, put x = 0, z = 0.
Question becomes: Is 0=\frac{yn}{(m^2+n^2+k^2)}?
We do not know since this depends on the values of y and n. Not sufficient.

2.)x/m=y/n
Similarly statement 2 alone is also not sufficient.

Using both together, we get \frac{x}{m} = \frac{y}{n} = \frac{z}{k}
which is same as \frac{x}{m}=\frac{xm}{m^2} = \frac{yn}{n^2} = \frac{zk}{k^2} = \frac{xm+yn+zk}{(m^2+n^2+k^2)}

Sufficient. Answer C.

Plugging in numbers:
1. x/m = z/k
Put x = 0, z = 0.
Question becomes: Is 0=\frac{yn}{(m^2+n^2+k^2)}?
We do not know since this depends on the values of y and n. Not sufficient.

2. x/m=y/n
Put x = 0, y = 0.
Question becomes: Is 0=\frac{zk}{(m^2+n^2+k^2)}?
We do not know since this depends on the values of z and k. Not sufficient.

Using both together, put x = 0, y = 0, z = 0
Question becomes: Is 0=0? Answer 'Yes'
Try putting x = 2, y = 2, z = 2, m = 1, n = 1, k = 1
It satisfies so mark the answer as (C) and move ahead. Remember, this is not foolproof. In some case, you could have taken values which satisfied the equation but not those which did not satisfy it. But if you don't have much time to spare, this gives you a decent probability of getting the answer right.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Can I PIN this? [#permalink] New post 01 May 2011, 05:39
I do not understand why the answer is not A, as one can deduce that x/m = y/n from the first part. Therefore, we do not learn anything new from the second part.

Please help.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 8

Re: if kmn<>0 is x/m(m²+n²+k²)=xm+yn+zk? [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2012, 16:05
Interesting question, I also brute force simplified it. Took me just under 4 minutes, is there a short cut?

I first simplified it into xn²/m + k²x/m = yn + zk by multiplying out the x/m from first part and reducing xm

1. z/k = x/m or zm = kx

Using this, the top equation simplifies down to y/n = z/k simply by plugging z/k instead of x/m and replacing kx by zm (basically removing the X).

2. x/m = y/n

After 1. is used to simplify it's just about y/n = z/k = x/m

The more I think about it, the more I see that this can be simplified very quickly.
Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 22401 [0], given: 2619

Re: Is x/m*(m^2+n^2+k^2)=xm+yn+zk? [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2013, 00:18
Expert's post
Bumping for review and further discussion*. Get a kudos point for an alternative solution!

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

Theory on Algebra: algebra-101576.html

DS Algebra Questions to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=29
PS Algebra Questions to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=50

Special algebra set: new-algebra-set-149349.html

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: Is x/m*(m^2+n^2+k^2)=xm+yn+zk? [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2014, 10:50
This post received
KUDOS
Are we not considering that K and m are not zero when we are moving that other side.

z/k = x/m => zm=xk
Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 22401 [0], given: 2619

Re: Is x/m*(m^2+n^2+k^2)=xm+yn+zk? [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2014, 10:54
Expert's post
viksingh15 wrote:
Are we not considering that K and m are not zero when we are moving that other side.

z/k = x/m => zm=xk

No, because both of them are in the denominator and thus cannot be 0. If either of them is zero, then the ratio will be undefined and z/k won't be equal to x/m as given in the statement.

Hope it's clear.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 35

Re: Is x/m*(m^2+n^2+k^2)=xm+yn+zk? [#permalink] New post 04 May 2014, 02:42

(1) z/k=x/m
(2) x/m=y/n

Sol.

Expand the expression,
x/m*(m^2+n^2+k^2)=xm+yn+zk => xm + xn^2/m + xk^2/m

try to match with the R.H.S of the expression in question.
What we want is -
xn^2/m = yn i.e. x/m = y/n
similarly, xk^2/m = zk i.e. x/m = z/k

Now have a look at the options.
Opt.1 gives one part of what we need. Not Sufficient.

Opt.2 gives the other part of what is required. Not Sufficient.

Together, we have the info that we are looking for i.e. . Hence, sufficient

Answer C.
Re: Is x/m*(m^2+n^2+k^2)=xm+yn+zk?   [#permalink] 04 May 2014, 02:42

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap