Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:57 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32870 [19]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-14-2012
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32870 [0]
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618844 [2]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Re: Is x/y a terminating decimal? [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
carcass wrote:
Is x/y a terminating decimal?

(1) x is a multiple of 2
(2) y is a multiple of 3

I do not know how to evaluate this question. I mean: for me 1 and 2 are insuff because we do not know alternatively of the other variable. Together we do not have the information that we want ok E is the answer

BUT if we have \(\frac{4}{9}\) we know that 9 is not in the form\(2^n * 5^m\) so is not a terminating decimal ok ------->\(\frac{18}{24}\) reduced is \(\frac{3}{4}\) and neither 4 is in the aforementioned form :?:

here the OA explanation. may be is late in my TM but I'm confused

Quote:
Statement 1 indicates that x is a multiple of 2, which has nothing to do with
terminating or non-terminating property of decimals. For instance 2/4 is a
terminating decimal while 4/6 is a non terminating decimal. So, NOT SUFFICIENT.

Statement 2 says that y is a multiple of 3, but gives no information about the
common factors of x and y if any, and what is x/y in lowest terms. For instance, 2/3
is non-terminating while 9/12 is terminating. So, NOT SUFFICIENT.

Taking statements 1 and 2 together, 4/9 which satisfies both the statements is non-
terminating, while 18/24 is a terminating decimal. So NOT SUFFICIENT.

The correct answer is E

Actually \(4=2^2*5^0\), thus \(\frac{3}{4}=0.75\) is a terminating decimal. If the denominator has only 2-s and/or 5-s then the fraction always will be a terminating decimal (in this case it also doesn't matter whether the fraction is reduced or not).

(1) x is a multiple of 2. Not sufficient since no info about y.
(2) y is a multiple of 3. Not sufficient since no info about x.

(1)+(2) If \(x=2\) and \(y=3\), then \(\frac{x}{y}=\frac{2}{3}=0.666...\) which is NOT a terminating decimal, but if \(x=6\) and \(y=12\), then \(\frac{x}{y}=0.5\) which is a terminating decimal. Not sufficient.

Answer: E.

THEORY:

Reduced fraction \(\frac{a}{b}\) (meaning that fraction is already reduced to its lowest term) can be expressed as terminating decimal if and only \(b\) (denominator) is of the form \(2^n5^m\), where \(m\) and \(n\) are non-negative integers. For example: \(\frac{7}{250}\) is a terminating decimal \(0.028\), as \(250\) (denominator) equals to \(2*5^3\). Fraction \(\frac{3}{30}\) is also a terminating decimal, as \(\frac{3}{30}=\frac{1}{10}\) and denominator \(10=2*5\).

Note that if denominator already has only 2-s and/or 5-s then it doesn't matter whether the fraction is reduced or not.

For example \(\frac{x}{2^n5^m}\), (where x, n and m are integers) will always be terminating decimal.

(We need reducing in case when we have the prime in denominator other then 2 or 5 to see whether it could be reduced. For example fraction \(\frac{6}{15}\) has 3 as prime in denominator and we need to know if it can be reduced.)

Hope it helps.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32870 [0]
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
carcass wrote:

(1) x is a multiple of 2
(2) y is a multiple of 3

I do not know how to evaluate this question. I mean: for me 1 and 2 are insuff because we do not know alternatively of the other variable. Together we do not have the information that we want ok E is the answer

BUT if we have \(\frac{4}{9}\) we know that 9 is not in the form\(2^n * 5^m\) so is not a terminating decimal ok ------->\(\frac{18}{24}\) reduced is \(\frac{3}{4}\) and neither 4 is in the aforementioned form :?:

here the OA explanation. may be is late in my TM but I'm confused

Quote:
Statement 1 indicates that x is a multiple of 2, which has nothing to do with
terminating or non-terminating property of decimals. For instance 2/4 is a
terminating decimal while 4/6 is a non terminating decimal. So, NOT SUFFICIENT.

Statement 2 says that y is a multiple of 3, but gives no information about the
common factors of x and y if any, and what is x/y in lowest terms. For instance, 2/3
is non-terminating while 9/12 is terminating. So, NOT SUFFICIENT.

Taking statements 1 and 2 together, 4/9 which satisfies both the statements is non-
terminating, while 18/24 is a terminating decimal. So NOT SUFFICIENT.

The correct answer is E

Actually \(4=2^2*5^0\), thus \(\frac{3}{4}=0.75\) is a terminating decimal. If the denominator has only 2-s and/or 5-s then the fraction always will be a terminating decimal (in this case it also doesn't matter whether the fraction is reduced or not).

(1) x is a multiple of 2. Not sufficient since no info about y.
(2) y is a multiple of 3. Not sufficient since no info about x.

(1)+(2) If \(x=2\) and \(y=3\), then \(\frac{x}{y}=\frac{2}{3}=0.666...\) which is NOT a terminating decimal, but if \(x=6\) and \(y=12\), then \(\frac{x}{y}=0.5\) which is a terminating decimal. Not sufficient.

Answer: E.

THEORY:

Reduced fraction \(\frac{a}{b}\) (meaning that fraction is already reduced to its lowest term) can be expressed as terminating decimal if and only \(b\) (denominator) is of the form \(2^n5^m\), where \(m\) and \(n\) are non-negative integers. For example: \(\frac{7}{250}\) is a terminating decimal \(0.028\), as \(250\) (denominator) equals to \(2*5^3\). Fraction \(\frac{3}{30}\) is also a terminating decimal, as \(\frac{3}{30}=\frac{1}{10}\) and denominator \(10=2*5\).

Note that if denominator already has only 2-s and/or 5-s then it doesn't matter whether the fraction is reduced or not.

For example \(\frac{x}{2^n5^m}\), (where x, n and m are integers) will always be terminating decimal.

(We need reducing in case when we have the prime in denominator other then 2 or 5 to see whether it could be reduced. For example fraction \(\frac{6}{15}\) has 3 as prime in denominator and we need to know if it can be reduced.)

Hope it helps.

I did not know (or notice) the red part albeit I read the theory in the gmatclub math book

Thanks
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13387 [0]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
carcass wrote:

(1) x is a multiple of 2
(2) y is a multiple of 3

CONCEPT: A ration x/y will be Terminating when in its least form the denominator has NO PRIME FACTOR OTHER THAN 2 and 5

Question: Is x/y a terminating decimal?

Statement 1: x is a multiple of 2
No information about y hence
NOT SUFFICIENT

Statement 2: y is a multiple of 3
No information about y hence
NOT SUFFICIENT

Combining the two statements
using both statements as well we have no idea what will be the least form of x/y hence
NOT SUFFICIENT

Answer: Option E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 94 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
­2K1/3K2 is the form. 2/3 is any way an non-terminating decimal. So the values of K1 and K2 are going to say whether x/y is terminating or not. So we can't say with clarity whether x/y is terminationg or not. Hence E
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
So by looking at this I automatically thought if denominator is a factor of 3 there will not be a terminating decimal 1/3, 2/3, 4/3/5/3 etc are not terminating. But I dug deeper in the question.

(1) so if we do not know what Y is we cannot determine this answer so insufficient​

( 3) We dont know what X is so we cannot determine the answer.

( 1+2) if if X is 2/3--> .666, however what if X = 6 and Y = 3, then it will be 2 a terminating decimal, still insufficient

E
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92900 posts