Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:53 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4927 [425]
Given Kudos: 690
Concentration: Accounting
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618568 [205]
Given Kudos: 81562
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [70]
Given Kudos: 174
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V27
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE:Operations (Other)
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618568 [56]
Send PM
Is xy > 0? (1) x - y > -2 (2) x - 2y < -6 [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply

Is xy > 0?

\(xy>0\) means that x and y must have the same sign, so point (x, y) must be either in the first or the third quadrant (green regions).

(1) x-y > -2 --> \(y<x+2\) --> the area below blue line (\(y=x+2\)). (x, y) may or may not be in green region. Not sufficient.

(2) x-2y < -6 --> \(y>\frac{x}{2}+3\) --> the area above red line (\(y>\frac{x}{2}+3\)). (x, y) may or may not be in green region. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) Below blue line and above red line, is yellow region, which is entirely in I quadrant (where \(y>4\) and \(x>2\)) --> \(xy>0\). Sufficient.

Answer: C.

Hope it helps.

Attachment:
xy.png
xy.png [ 8.35 KiB | Viewed 232458 times ]
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 6270 [37]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM
Re: Is xy > 0? (1) x - y > -2 (2) x - 2y < -6 [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Baten80 wrote:
Is xy > 0?

(1) x - y > -2
(2) x - 2y < -6

We need to determine whether the product of x and y is positive. We should recall that the product of two numbers is positive only if both the numbers are positive or if both are negative.

Statement One Alone:

x - y > -2

Statement one tells us that the difference between x and y is -2; it does not tell us anything about the signs of x and y. For instance, if x = 2 and y = 1, we have x - y = 1 > -2, and xy is positive. However, if x = 3 and y = -2, 3 - (-2) = 5 > -2, but xy is negative. Statement one alone is not sufficient. We can eliminate answer choices A and D.

Statement Two Alone:

x - 2y < -6

Again, we have a statement that tells us nothing about the signs of x and y. For instance, if x = 3 and y = 5, then x - 2y = 3 - 2(5) = 3 - 10 = -7 < -6, and xy is positive. However, if x = -1 and y = 5, then x - 2y = -1 - 2(5) = -11 < -6, and xy is negative. Statement two alone is not sufficient. We can eliminate answer choice B.

Statements One and Two Together:

Let’s manipulate the first inequality to read: y < x + 2. Similarly, we can manipulate the second inequality to read: y > (1/2)x + 3.

Thus, we can say the following:

(1/2)x + 3 < y < x + 2

(1/2)x + 3 < x + 2

x + 6 < 2x + 4

2 < x

Thus, x is positive.

We also know the following:

y > (1/2)x + 3

Since x is greater than two, let’s see what we can determine about y, if we substitute 2 for x.

y > (1/2)(2) + 3

y > 4

So y is positive as well. Both statements together are sufficient.

Answer: C
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1172 [23]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
(1)

x = 1, y = 0

xy = 0 although x-y = 1 > -2

x = -3, y = -2

xy = 6 > 0 and x-y = -1 > -2

Insufficient

(2)

x - 2y < -6

x = 1, y = 4

x - 2y = 1 - 8 = -7 < -6 and xy > 0

x = 0, y = 4

x - 2y = 0 - 8 = -8 < -6 and xy = 0

Insufficient

(1) + (2)

x - y > -2

2y - x > 6

y > 4

Now x has to be such that x > y - 2

So x is positive, because y is 4.1, 5 etc.
and x is > 2.1, 3 etc.

So xy = positive

Answer - C
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7624 [15]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Top Contributor
This is a question which is a great example of what the GMAT expects from test takers in terms of combining statements in a DS question on Inequalities.

It is also an excellent question to learn how to prove/disprove the individual statements in a DS question.

Breaking down the question stem, we can rephrase the question as “Are x and y of the same signs?”. The answers to this question could be,

Yes – which means x and y are either both positive or both negative
No – which means one of them could be positive and the other could be negative OR ZERO (many of us ignore ZERO at our own peril).

From statement I alone, x-y > -2. Let us take some values to find out if this information is sufficient to answer the main question.
If x = 10 and y = 5, x-y = 5 which is definitely greater than -2. For these values of x and y, we answer the main question with a Yes.
If x = 10 and y = -5, x-y = 15 which is also greater than -2. For these values of x and y, we answer the main question with a No.

Statement I alone is insufficient to answer the question with a definite YES or NO. Answer options A and D can be eliminated. Possible answer options are B, C or E.

From statement II alone, x-2y < -6. Again, as in the first statement, let us test some values.
If x = 5, y = 10, x – 2y = -15 which is less than -6. These values give a YES to the main question.
If x = -5, y = 10, x – 2y = -25 which is less than -6. These values give a NO to the main question.

Statement II alone is insufficient to answer the question with a definite YES or NO. Answer options B can be eliminated. Possible answer options are C or E.

Now, at this stage, we are required to combine the statements I and II. Here’s where GMAT expects you to combine the statements using an important property of inequalities and that is – Two inequalities can be added if they have the same inequality sign.

The two inequalities are: x – y > -2 and x – 2y < -6.

When we multiply the first inequality with -2, we obtain -2x + 2y < 4. Now, since the inequality sign is the same as the second inequality, we can add these inequalities.
Adding the inequalities, 2y and -2y cancel out each other and we have –x < -2 which can be rewritten as x > 2.

When we multiply the second inequality with -1, we obtain –x + 2y > 6. Since the inequality sign is the same as the first, we can add these inequalities.
Adding them, x and –x cancel out each other and we have y > 4.

This means xy > 0 and we can answer the main question with a Yes. The combination of statements is sufficient, answer option E can be eliminated.

The correct answer option is E.

Remember that inequalities can be added as long as they have the same sign.

Hope that helps!
Aravind B T
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29890 [6]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Baten80 wrote:
Is xy > 0?

(1) x - y > -2
(2) x - 2y < -6

Target question: Is xy > 0?

Statement 1: x - y > -2
Let's TEST some values.
There are several values of x and y that satisfy statement 1. Here are two:
Case a: x = 5 and y = 1. In this case, xy = (5)(1) = 5. So, the answer to the target question is YES, xy IS greater than 0
Case b: x = 5 and y = -1. In this case, xy = (5)(-1) = -5. So, the answer to the target question is NO, xy is NOT greater than 0
Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, statement 1 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Statement 2: x - 2y < -6
Let's TEST some values again.
There are several values of x and y that satisfy statement 2. Here are two:
Case a: x = 1 and y = 10. In this case, xy = (1)(10) = 10. So, the answer to the target question is YES, xy IS greater than 0
Case b: x = -1 and y = 10. In this case, xy = (-1)(10) = -10. So, the answer to the target question is NO, xy is NOT greater than 0
Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, statement 2 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Statements 1 and 2 combined
IMPORTANT: There’s a useful inequality property that says If two inequalities have their inequality symbols facing the SAME DIRECTION, we can ADD the inequalities.
We have:
x - y > -2
x - 2y < -6

Take the BOTTOM equation and multiply both sides by -1 to get:
x - y > -2
-x + 2y > 6 [since we multiplied both sides by a NEGATIVE value, we REVERSED the direction of the inequality symbol]

Now ADD the equations to get: y > 4
In other words, y is POSITIVE

Now take:
x - y > -2
-x + 2y > 6

Take the TOP equation and multiply both sides by 2 to get:
2x - 2y > -4
-x + 2y > 6

Now ADD the equations to get: x > 2
In other words, x is POSITIVE

Since x and y are both POSITIVE, we know that xy IS positive
Since we can answer the target question with certainty, the combined statements are SUFFICIENT

Answer: C

RELATED VIDEOS

Originally posted by BrentGMATPrepNow on 16 Apr 2019, 07:40.
Last edited by BrentGMATPrepNow on 17 May 2021, 09:45, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13375 [3]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
MHIKER wrote:
Is xy > 0?

(1) x - y > -2
(2) x - 2y < -6

Question; Is xy > 0?

STatement 1: x - y > -2

@x = 1, y may be +1 i.e. xy > 0
@x = 1, y may be -1 i.e. xy < 0

NOT SUFFICIENT

STatement 2:x - 2y < -6

@x = 1, y may be +4 i.e. xy > 0
@x = -1, y may be +4 i.e. xy < 0

NOT SUFFICIENT

Combining the statements
Rule of Inequalities:
- Two inequalities may be added if their inequality signs are identical
- Two inequalities may be Subtracted if their inequality signs are Opposite

Rule 1 is enough
:)

Now we have
x - y > -2 and x - 2y < -6
ie.. x - y > -2 and -x + 2y > 6 (multiplied -1 both sides in second inequation)

Adding the two inequations
x - y -x + 2y > -2+6
i.e. y > 4
Substituting it in inequation 1
x - y > -2 i.e. x > -2+y i.e. x > 2

SInce both x and y are positive, therefore xy > 0

Answer: Option C

Get TOPICWISE: Concept Videos | Practice Qns 100+ | Official Qns 50+ | 100% Video solution CLICK HERE.
Two MUST join YouTube channels : GMATinsight (1000+ FREE Videos) and GMATclub :)

UserMaple5
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3134 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
MHIKER wrote:
Is xy > 0?

(1) x - y > -2
(2) x - 2y < -6

Do x and y have the same sign?

Statement 1, rephrased: x > y-2
Clearly, x and y can have the same sign or different signs.
INSUFFICIENT

Statement 2, rephrased: x < 2y-6
Clearly, x and y can have the same sign or different signs.
INSUFFICIENT.

Inequalities with multiple variables can be ADDED TOGETHER.
Before adding, we must ensure that the inequality symbol faces the same direction in each inequality.

Statements combined:
Adding together x > y-2 and 2y-6 > x, we get:
x+2y-6 > y-2+x
y > 4

Adding together y > 4 and x > y-2, we get:
y+x > 4+y-2
x > 2

Since x>2 and y>4, x and y have the same sign.
Thus, the answer to the question stem is YES.
SUFFICIENT.

General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

Graphic approach:

Attachment:
xy.png

Is xy > 0?

\(xy>0\) means that x and y must have the same sign, so point (x, y) must be either in the first or the third quadrant (green regions).

(1) x-y > -2 --> \(y<x+2\) --> the area below blue line (\(y=x+2\)). (x, y) may or may not be in green region. Not sufficient.

(2) x-2y < -6 --> \(y>\frac{x}{2}+3\) --> the area above red line (\(y>\frac{x}{2}+3\)). (x, y) may or may not be in green region. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) Below blue line and above red line, is yellow region, which is entirely in I quadrant (where \(y>4\) and \(x>2\)) --> \(xy>0\). Sufficient.

Answer: C.

Hope it helps.

Hi Bunuel,

I have doubts on graphical method -->

why is line y<x+2 passing through x = -2 ?
the value of x should be greater than -2 (the line may pass through x = -1, 0, 1, 2, ...)
Similarly, why is line y > (x/2) + 3 passing through x = -6
the value of x should be less than -6 (the line may pass through x = -7, -8, -9,...)

With the graphical method, can you illustrate solution of following example ?

Is x + y > 0 ?

1) x - y > 0
2) x^2 - y^2 > 0

Regards,
Akshay
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618568 [2]
Send PM