Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 12:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is xy > 0? (1) x - y > -2 (2) x - 2y < -6

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 251 [3] , given: 32

Is xy > 0? (1) x - y > -2 (2) x - 2y < -6 [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2011, 04:06
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

60% (02:03) correct 40% (01:03) wrong based on 312 sessions
Is xy > 0?

(1) x - y > -2
(2) x - 2y < -6
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

I am student of everyone-baten
Collections:-
PSof OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ps-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110005.html
DS of OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ds-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110004.html
100 GMAT PREP Quantitative collection http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-problem-collections-114358.html
Collections of work/rate problems with solutions http://gmatclub.com/forum/collections-of-work-rate-problem-with-solutions-118919.html
Mixture problems in a file with best solutions: http://gmatclub.com/forum/mixture-problems-with-best-and-easy-solutions-all-together-124644.html

Last edited by Bunuel on 09 Jul 2014, 09:49, edited 2 times in total.
Edited the question.
3 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 297 [3] , given: 36

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Is xy > 0? (1) x - y > -2 (2) x - 2y < -6 [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2011, 04:20
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
(1)

x = 1, y = 0

xy = 0 although x-y = 1 > -2

x = -3, y = -2

xy = 6 > 0 and x-y = -1 > -2

Insufficient

(2)

x - 2y < -6

x = 1, y = 4

x - 2y = 1 - 8 = -7 < -6 and xy > 0

x = 0, y = 4

x - 2y = 0 - 8 = -8 < -6 and xy = 0

Insufficient

(1) + (2)

x - y > -2

2y - x > 6

y > 4

Now x has to be such that x > y - 2

So x is positive, because y is 4.1, 5 etc.
and x is > 2.1, 3 etc.

So xy = positive

Answer - C

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 144 [1] , given: 10

Re: Is xy > 0? (1) x - y > -2 (2) x - 2y < -6 [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2011, 23:36
This post received
KUDOS
a+b

x-y > -2 and -x+2y >6 (changing the signs for addition)

y>4 and x >2.1.

Thus xy>0 always. C

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Is xy > 0? (1) x - y > -2 (2) x - 2y < -6 [#permalink] New post 25 May 2012, 18:15
Hi all,

The process that I went through was

reverse the sign of the second equation

-x + 2y > 6 (to make the signs same for both equations)

and

solve for y to get y>4

Now for solving x

Do you solve the equations again for x

or

how does it work by substituting y > 4 ? Could someone show this method and also tell me if this is the best way to solve these questions.

Thanks
Ravi
Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3604

Kudos [?]: 28719 [5] , given: 2821

Re: Is xy > 0? (1) x - y > -2 (2) x - 2y < -6 [#permalink] New post 26 May 2012, 02:09
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
raviram80 wrote:
Hi all,

The process that I went through was

reverse the sign of the second equation

-x + 2y > 6 (to make the signs same for both equations)

and

solve for y to get y>4

Now for solving x

Do you solve the equations again for x

or

how does it work by substituting y > 4 ? Could someone show this method and also tell me if this is the best way to solve these questions.

Thanks
Ravi

Is xy>0?

Note that question basically asks whether x and y have the same sign.

(1) x-y > -2 --> we can have an YES answer, if for example x and y are both positive (x=10 and y=1) as well as a NO answer, if for example x is positive and y is negative (x=10 and y=-10). Not sufficient.

(2) x-2y <-6 --> again it' easy to get an YES answer, if for example x and y are both positive (x=1 and y=10) as well as a NO answer, if for example x is negative and y is positive (x=-1 and y=10). Not sufficient.

You can get that the the two statement individually are not sufficient in another way too: we have (1) y<x+2 and (2) y>\frac{x}{2}+3. We are asked whether x and y have the same sign or whether the points (x,y) are in the I or III quadrant ONLY. But all (x,y) points below the line y=x+2 (for 1) and all (x, y) points above the line y=\frac{x}{2}+3 can not lie only I or III quadrant: points above or below some line (not parallel to axis) lie at least in 3 quadrants.

(1)+(2) Now, remember that we can subtract inequalities with the signs in opposite direction --> subtract (2) from (1): x-y-(x-2y)>-2-(-6) --> y>4. As y>4 and (from 1) x>y-2 then x>2 (because we can add inequalities when their signs are in the same direction, so: y+x>4+(y-2) --> x>2) --> we have that y>4 and x>2: both x and y are positive. Sufficient.

Answer: C.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Is xy > 0? (1) x - y > -2 (2) x - 2y < -6 [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 09:28
Bunuel wrote:
tech3 wrote:
Hello, I have a doubt.

After we have got y >4, do we check both the equations for consistency? With the first equation, m getting x >2 but with the second, I am receiving x<2 upon solving. What am I doing wrong

Can you please show how you get x<2?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Bunuel, I'm struggling to understand how the second statement proves that x is definitely positive. I follow that y>4 and I follow that x>2 if I only test equation (1). But I would think that I should be able to test either and come away with the fact that x is positive. However when I test equation (2) x proves to be positive or negative!

Testing equation (2) x - 2y < -6

since y>4
If y = 4.1, then x - 8.2 < -6 and x < 2.2 (this suggests x can be positive or negative)
If y = 6, then x - 12 < -6 and x < 6 (this suggests x can be positive or negative)
and so on...

I don't understand how we prove x is definitely positive if I test equation (2)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Is xy > 0? (1) x - y > -2 (2) x - 2y < -6 [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 12:04
adding both equations, you would get y >4. Substituting this to equation 1, you would get x > 2! Hence both x and y are positive, so xy > 0

One Last Shot

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 560 Q45 V23
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 42

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Is xy > 0? (1) x - y > -2 (2) x - 2y < -6 [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2013, 16:12
pleaman wrote:
dolumoks wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Hello, I have a doubt.

After we have got y >4, do we check both the equations for consistency? With the first equation, m getting x >2 but with the second, I am receiving x<2 upon solving. What am I doing wrong

Can you please show how you get x<2?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Bunuel, I'm struggling to understand how the second statement proves that x is definitely positive. I follow that y>4 and I follow that x>2 if I only test equation (1). But I would think that I should be able to test either and come away with the fact that x is positive. However when I test equation (2) x proves to be positive or negative!

since y>4
If y = 4.1, then x - 8.2 < -6 and x < 2.2 (this suggests x can be positive or negative)
If y = 6, then x - 12 < -6 and x < 6 (this suggests x can be positive or negative)
and so on...

Agree! I cant understand the same )

I have the same doubt, with y>4 , put the value in 2nd equation, and you have -negative values for x.

And many strokes, though with a little axe, hew down and fell the hardest-timbered oak. - William Shakespeare

Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 28719 [0], given: 2821

Re: Is xy > 0? (1) x - y > -2 (2) x - 2y < -6 [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2013, 21:37
Expert's post
nikhiil wrote:
pleaman wrote:
dolumoks wrote:

since y>4
and so on...

Agree! I cant understand the same )

I have the same doubt, with y>4 , put the value in 2nd equation, and you have -negative values for x.

But if you use y>4 and x-y > -2 you'll get that x>2. It's more restrictive so it's correct.

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V27
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Operations (Other)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 46 [3] , given: 171

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Is xy > 0? (1) x - y > -2 (2) x - 2y < -6 [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2013, 10:24
This post received
KUDOS
Please find attached graphical solution. I think its easier and simpler to solve such inequality problem using co-ordinate geometry.

I made this graph in a hurry in paint, so please don't mind the poorly drawn lines.

Consider pressing on Kudos if my post helped you in any way!
Attachments

Solution.JPG
Solution.JPG [ 39.4 KiB | Viewed 6889 times ]

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 28719 [2] , given: 2821

Re: Is xy > 0? (1) x - y > -2 (2) x - 2y < -6 [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2013, 22:34
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post

Graphic approach:

Attachment:
xy.png
xy.png [ 8.35 KiB | Viewed 7154 times ]

Is xy > 0?

xy>0 means that x and y must have the same sign, so point (x, y) must be either in the first or the third quadrant (green regions).

(1) x-y > -2 --> y<x+2 --> the area below blue line (y=x+2). (x, y) may or may not be in green region. Not sufficient.

(2) x-2y < -6 --> y>\frac{x}{2}+3 --> the area above red line (y>\frac{x}{2}+3). (x, y) may or may not be in green region. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) Below blue line and above red line, is yellow region, which is entirely in I quadrant (where y>4 and x>2) --> xy>0. Sufficient.

Hope it helps.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Is xy > 0? (1) x - y > -2 (2) x - 2y < -6 [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2014, 06:19
Bunuel wrote:

Graphic approach:

Attachment:
xy.png

Is xy > 0?

xy>0 means that x and y must have the same sign, so point (x, y) must be either in the first or the third quadrant (green regions).

(1) x-y > -2 --> y<x+2 --> the area below blue line (y=x+2). (x, y) may or may not be in green region. Not sufficient.

(2) x-2y < -6 --> y>\frac{x}{2}+3 --> the area above red line (y>\frac{x}{2}+3). (x, y) may or may not be in green region. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) Below blue line and above red line, is yellow region, which is entirely in I quadrant (where y>4 and x>2) --> xy>0. Sufficient.

Hope it helps.

Hi Bunuel,

I have doubts on graphical method -->

why is line y<x+2 passing through x = -2 ?
the value of x should be greater than -2 (the line may pass through x = -1, 0, 1, 2, ...)
Similarly, why is line y > (x/2) + 3 passing through x = -6
the value of x should be less than -6 (the line may pass through x = -7, -8, -9,...)

With the graphical method, can you illustrate solution of following example ?

Is x + y > 0 ?

1) x - y > 0
2) x^2 - y^2 > 0

Regards,
Akshay
Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 28719 [0], given: 2821

Re: Is xy > 0? (1) x - y > -2 (2) x - 2y < -6 [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2014, 06:40
Expert's post
AkshayDavid wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Graphic approach:

Is xy > 0?

Hope it helps.

Hi Bunuel,

I have doubts on graphical method -->

why is line y<x+2 passing through x = -2 ?
the value of x should be greater than -2 (the line may pass through x = -1, 0, 1, 2, ...)
Similarly, why is line y > (x/2) + 3 passing through x = -6
the value of x should be less than -6 (the line may pass through x = -7, -8, -9,...)

With the graphical method, can you illustrate solution of following example ?

Is x + y > 0 ?

1) x - y > 0
2) x^2 - y^2 > 0

Regards,
Akshay

y < x + 2 is the region which lies BELOW (because of < sign) line y = x + 2.

y > x/2 + 3 is the region which lies ABOVE (because of > sign) line y = x/2 + 3.

Check here for more: graphic-approach-to-problems-with-inequalities-68037.html

Hope it helps.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 25

Re: Is xy > 0? (1) x - y > -2 (2) x - 2y < -6 [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2014, 05:22
Here is an alternate method I used to solve the combined case (data in choice a + data in choice b)

Given
(1) x - y > -2
(2) x - 2y < -6

rewriting

(1) x>y-2 OR y-2<x
(2) x<2y-6

Combining inequalities

y-2<x<2y-6

This equation provides all legal values of x,y. Plugging in numbers, you see that this inequality is true only for positive values of y

Ex: y=-3
-5<x<-12 Not true: -5 cannot be less than -12

Ex: y=0
-2<x<-6 Not true

Only positive values of y work here and since x is greater than y, x also has to be positive
Re: Is xy > 0? (1) x - y > -2 (2) x - 2y < -6   [#permalink] 25 Aug 2014, 05:22