Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Aug 2015, 01:41
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is y an integer? (1) y^3 is an integer (2) 3y is an integer

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: MBA Aspirant
Joined: 12 Jun 2010
Posts: 178
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 43 [1] , given: 1

Is y an integer? (1) y^3 is an integer (2) 3y is an integer [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2012, 04:21
1
This post received
KUDOS
8
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  75% (hard)

Question Stats:

45% (01:00) correct 55% (00:53) wrong based on 110 sessions
Is y an integer?

(1) y^3 is an integer
(2) 3y is an integer
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 29153
Followers: 4729

Kudos [?]: 49848 [0], given: 7501

Is y an integer? (1) y^3 is an integer (2) 3y is an integer [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2012, 06:07
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Is y an integer?

(1) y^3 is an integer --> y is either an integer (..., -1, 0, 1, 2, ...) or \(\sqrt[3]{integer}\), for example \(\sqrt[3]{2}\). Not sufficient. Notice here that y cannot be some reduced fraction like 1/3 or 13/5, because in this case y^3 won't be an integer.


(2) 3y is an integer --> y is either an integer or integers/3, for example: 1/3, 2/3, ... Not sufficient. Notice here that y cannot be some irrational number like \(\sqrt{2}\) or \(\sqrt[3]{integer}\), because in this case 3y won't be an integer.

(1)+(2) Since both y^3 and 3y are integers then, as discussed above, y must be an integer. Sufficient.

Answer: C.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis ; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) ; 12. Tricky questions from previous years.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: MBA Aspirant
Joined: 12 Jun 2010
Posts: 178
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 1

Re: Is y an integer [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2012, 06:30
Bunuel wrote:
Is y an integer?

(1) y^3 is an integer --> y is either an integer (..., -1, 0, 1, 2, ...) or \(\sqrt[3]{integer}\), for example \(\sqrt[3]{2}\). Not sufficient. Notice here that y can not be some reduced fraction like 1/3 or 13/5, because in this case y^3 won't be an integer.


B) 3y is an integer --> y is either an integer or integers/3, for example: 1/3, 2/3, ... Not sufficient. Notice here that y can not be some irrational number like \(\sqrt{2}\) or \(\sqrt[3]{integer}\), because in this case 3y won't be an integer.

(1)+(2) Since both y^3 and 3y are integers then, as discussed above, y must be an integer. Sufficient.

Answer: C.


Bunnel can you explain here by putting in some values for y. I am still unable to trace how by using both I can find that y is an integer.
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 29153
Followers: 4729

Kudos [?]: 49848 [0], given: 7501

Re: Is y an integer [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2012, 06:45
Expert's post
subhajeet wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Is y an integer?

(1) y^3 is an integer --> y is either an integer (..., -1, 0, 1, 2, ...) or \(\sqrt[3]{integer}\), for example \(\sqrt[3]{2}\). Not sufficient. Notice here that y can not be some reduced fraction like 1/3 or 13/5, because in this case y^3 won't be an integer.


B) 3y is an integer --> y is either an integer or integers/3, for example: 1/3, 2/3, ... Not sufficient. Notice here that y can not be some irrational number like \(\sqrt{2}\) or \(\sqrt[3]{integer}\), because in this case 3y won't be an integer.

(1)+(2) Since both y^3 and 3y are integers then, as discussed above, y must be an integer. Sufficient.

Answer: C.


Bunnel can you explain here by putting in some values for y. I am still unable to trace how by using both I can find that y is an integer.


Sure. Generally \(\sqrt[3]{integer}\) is either an integer itself or an irrational number, it can not be some reduced fraction like 1/2 or 2/3. (The same way as \(\sqrt{integer}\) is either an integer itself or an irrational number).

From (1) \(y=integer\) or \(y=\sqrt[3]{integer}\);

From (2) \(y=integer\) or \(y=\frac{integer}{3}\);

So, from (1)+(2) \(y=integer\).

Because if from (1) \(y=\sqrt[3]{integer}\), for example if \(y=\sqrt[3]{2}\), then \(3y=integer\) won't hold true for (2): \(3y={3*\sqrt[3]{2}}\neq{integer}\). The same way: if from (2) \(y=\frac{integer}{3}\), for example if \(y=\frac{1}{3}\), then \(y^3=integer\) won't hold true for (1): \(y^3=(\frac{1}{3})^3\neq{integer}\).

Hope it's clear.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis ; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) ; 12. Tricky questions from previous years.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 29153
Followers: 4729

Kudos [?]: 49848 [0], given: 7501

Re: Is y an integer? (1) y^3 is an integer (2) 3y is an integer [#permalink] New post 25 May 2013, 03:42
Expert's post
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Mar 2013
Posts: 44
GMAT Date: 03-20-2014
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 56

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Is y an integer [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2014, 09:43
Bunuel wrote:
subhajeet wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Is y an integer?

(1) y^3 is an integer --> y is either an integer (..., -1, 0, 1, 2, ...) or \(\sqrt[3]{integer}\), for example \(\sqrt[3]{2}\). Not sufficient. Notice here that y can not be some reduced fraction like 1/3 or 13/5, because in this case y^3 won't be an integer.


B) 3y is an integer --> y is either an integer or integers/3, for example: 1/3, 2/3, ... Not sufficient. Notice here that y can not be some irrational number like \(\sqrt{2}\) or \(\sqrt[3]{integer}\), because in this case 3y won't be an integer.

(1)+(2) Since both y^3 and 3y are integers then, as discussed above, y must be an integer. Sufficient.

Answer: C.


Bunnel can you explain here by putting in some values for y. I am still unable to trace how by using both I can find that y is an integer.


Sure. Generally \(\sqrt[3]{integer}\) is either an integer itself or an irrational number, it can not be some reduced fraction like 1/2 or 2/3. (The same way as \(\sqrt{integer}\) is either an integer itself or an irrational number).

From (1) \(y=integer\) or \(y=\sqrt[3]{integer}\);

From (2) \(y=integer\) or \(y=\frac{integer}{3}\);

So, from (1)+(2) \(y=integer\).

Because if from (1) \(y=\sqrt[3]{integer}\), for example if \(y=\sqrt[3]{2}\), then \(3y=integer\) won't hold true for (2): \(3y={3*\sqrt[3]{2}}\neq{integer}\). The same way: if from (2) \(y=\frac{integer}{3}\), for example if \(y=\frac{1}{3}\), then \(y^3=integer\) won't hold true for (1): \(y^3=(\frac{1}{3})^3\neq{integer}\).

Hope it's clear.


Unable to understand from the explanation provided...... how from (1) + (2) --> y=Integer ???
Can you pls provide some alternate solution/explanation.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2013
Posts: 125
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 1

Re: Is y an integer? (1) y^3 is an integer (2) 3y is an integer [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2014, 10:23
subhajeet wrote:
Is y an integer?

(1) y^3 is an integer
(2) 3y is an integer


Statement I is insufficient

y ^ 3 = 1 y = 1 (YES y is an integer)
y ^ 3 = 2 y = 2^1/3 (y is not an integer)

Statement II is insufficient
3y = 3 y = 1 (YES y is an integer)
3y = 1 y = 1/3 (y is not an integer)

Combining is sufficient (Usually your approach should be algebraic here)
y^3 = p
3y = q

If 3y = q then the only problem which makes y not an integer is that y is a fraction which is ruled out by the first statement as Fraction ^ 3 can never be an integer. Similarly the number being a cube root (problem in the first statement) is ruled out by the second statement as 3(Surd) cannot be an integer.

Hence the answer is C
_________________

Perfect Scores

If you think our post was valuable then please encourage us with Kudos :)

To learn GMAT for free visit:

http://Perfect-Scores.com
http://Youtube.com/PerfectScores
http://Facebook.com/PerfectScores

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Oct 2014
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Is y an integer? (1) y^3 is an integer (2) 3y is an integer [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2014, 07:00
Hi there,

I have doubt here. As per option 1 it is given as "y^3 is an integer" which means y power, but why are we discussing cube root of y.

Switching from y^3 to cube root of y would change our answer completely. Either the question is wrong or the analysis is wrong.

Please do comment.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 29153
Followers: 4729

Kudos [?]: 49848 [0], given: 7501

Re: Is y an integer? (1) y^3 is an integer (2) 3y is an integer [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2014, 08:06
Expert's post
Adigo wrote:
Hi there,

I have doubt here. As per option 1 it is given as "y^3 is an integer" which means y power, but why are we discussing cube root of y.

Switching from y^3 to cube root of y would change our answer completely. Either the question is wrong or the analysis is wrong.

Please do comment.

Posted from my mobile device Image


Everything is correct.

\(y^3=integer\) is the same as \(y=\sqrt[3]{integer}\).
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis ; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) ; 12. Tricky questions from previous years.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Re: Is y an integer? (1) y^3 is an integer (2) 3y is an integer   [#permalink] 29 Nov 2014, 08:06
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic Is (x + y)^3 an even integer? Bunuel 4 27 Jul 2015, 23:56
5 Experts publish their posts in the topic If x+2/y = 3, is xy an integer? mau5 9 06 May 2013, 23:45
16 Experts publish their posts in the topic If x and y are positive integers, is (2 + x)/(3 + y) greater fozzzy 9 12 Mar 2013, 02:48
If y is an integer, is y^3 divisible by 9? (1) y is Baten80 4 24 May 2011, 06:07
8 Experts publish their posts in the topic If x is an integer and y = 3x + 2, which of the following Baten80 11 10 Mar 2011, 06:48
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Is y an integer? (1) y^3 is an integer (2) 3y is an integer

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.