Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:00 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
aaudetat wrote:
yogeshsheth wrote:
I believe we need to back our say with examples. 2008 admits please help us out

You're right. The danger with this question is that you create a laundry list. Don't do that. Refer back to your positioning statement (this is the general story and group of characteristics that you want the adcom to remember about you). Choose a few points that you want to make in this essay, and then illustrate these points with a story.

This essay is really, "What do you want the adcom to know about you, particularly about you in the work place?" The manager part just adds some interest to it, and probably makes it easier to write.

If we try to include examples for all the aspects then the essay might be too long and might cross the word limit
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 242 [0]
 Q48  V34
Send PM
[#permalink]
just elaborate one or two solid examples and dont give a big list.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Send PM
Word Count and Other Queries [#permalink]
First of all ...this may sound silly but the essay says (300 words max).... Does this refer to TOOLS->WORD COUNT and the count it shows there in MS WORD?

This is because my ISB Essay 1 has reached 500 odd words this way and I am yet to add a couple of sentences as a Conlusion and I have had a hard time in removing sentences from the Essay..(Every line seems to b necessary and important)

Now coming back to Essay3.... I have 3 more Queries

1) Have written the whole Essay in "Third Person" reference as if its a converation between the 2 Managers as in something like "He is a team Player ....BLAH BLAH BLAH" (wish that happens wid me :wink: )

2) Have included some technical aspects in quoting some instances where I have showed commitment and responsibiltiy towards Work. I think I will be boring the AD-COM in doing so and fear that the flow may get interrupted....WDYF ?

3) Should we have to mention any drawbacks as well? ....As in something like "Time Management is an aspect which he has to work on.....etc"..

Thanks in ADV.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
[#permalink]
Well the word count is MS Word count.
About the questions I am also in same boat as you but the only way one can distinguish yourself is via examples.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
[#permalink]
yogeshsheth wrote:
Well the word count is MS Word count.

There is a problem with following the MS Word count. I was doing the same, but then to double check I put one of the essays in the space provided in the application. Just to check. And I had a greater word count than what Word was showing !!

Hyphenated words, such as "work-experience", counts as ONE word in MS Word, but the ISB application takes them as two. I would suggest to put copy-paste the essay into the space provided in the application and doouble check.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]