Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 13:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

ISB Essay 3 - Need some help

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

ISB Essay 3 - Need some help [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2007, 07:07
The Essay Question reads as follows....
You have a new manager who has just joined your organization. As a part of the handover, the outgoing manager is describing each person reporting to him. How do you think the outgoing manager will describe you to the incoming manager?

My idea of answering the above question is based on its different aspects....viz., professional, personal, being a team player, extra-curricluars to support my work-life balance etc. Doing so, I believe that I would get a chance to include most part of myself as I am.
But when I look back at the structure of my answer, it looks so generic and it is hardly impressive (atleast at this point in time)
Ex: The professional Aspects of my answer include my hardworking nature, never-say-die attitude etc....
Is there anything that I am missing here ? Is there anything that ISB is looking for beyond the generic things ?
If not, How about supporting things with examples ?
Any guidance is valuable here.

Thanks in Adv,
Giridhar

Last edited by girikorat on 07 Aug 2007, 07:49, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2007, 01:12
I believe we need to back our say with examples. 2008 admits please help us out
SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 2

[#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2007, 05:45
yogeshsheth wrote:

You're right. The danger with this question is that you create a laundry list. Don't do that. Refer back to your positioning statement (this is the general story and group of characteristics that you want the adcom to remember about you). Choose a few points that you want to make in this essay, and then illustrate these points with a story.

This essay is really, "What do you want the adcom to know about you, particularly about you in the work place?" The manager part just adds some interest to it, and probably makes it easier to write.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2007, 13:17
aaudetat wrote:
yogeshsheth wrote:

You're right. The danger with this question is that you create a laundry list. Don't do that. Refer back to your positioning statement (this is the general story and group of characteristics that you want the adcom to remember about you). Choose a few points that you want to make in this essay, and then illustrate these points with a story.

This essay is really, "What do you want the adcom to know about you, particularly about you in the work place?" The manager part just adds some interest to it, and probably makes it easier to write.

If we try to include examples for all the aspects then the essay might be too long and might cross the word limit
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2007, 23:54
just elaborate one or two solid examples and dont give a big list.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Word Count and Other Queries [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2007, 12:14
First of all ...this may sound silly but the essay says (300 words max).... Does this refer to TOOLS->WORD COUNT and the count it shows there in MS WORD?

This is because my ISB Essay 1 has reached 500 odd words this way and I am yet to add a couple of sentences as a Conlusion and I have had a hard time in removing sentences from the Essay..(Every line seems to b necessary and important)

Now coming back to Essay3.... I have 3 more Queries

1) Have written the whole Essay in "Third Person" reference as if its a converation between the 2 Managers as in something like "He is a team Player ....BLAH BLAH BLAH" (wish that happens wid me :wink: )

2) Have included some technical aspects in quoting some instances where I have showed commitment and responsibiltiy towards Work. I think I will be boring the AD-COM in doing so and fear that the flow may get interrupted....WDYF ?

3) Should we have to mention any drawbacks as well? ....As in something like "Time Management is an aspect which he has to work on.....etc"..

Thanks in ADV.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2007, 09:37
Well the word count is MS Word count.
About the questions I am also in same boat as you but the only way one can distinguish yourself is via examples.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2007, 20:36
yogeshsheth wrote:
Well the word count is MS Word count.

There is a problem with following the MS Word count. I was doing the same, but then to double check I put one of the essays in the space provided in the application. Just to check. And I had a greater word count than what Word was showing !!

Hyphenated words, such as "work-experience", counts as ONE word in MS Word, but the ISB application takes them as two. I would suggest to put copy-paste the essay into the space provided in the application and doouble check.
  [#permalink] 28 Aug 2007, 20:36