Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 20:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

ISB vs. IIM A vs IIM C

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Sep 2006
Posts: 123
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

ISB vs. IIM A vs IIM C [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2007, 06:10
What are your rankings for the 1 year programs at these schools? Also which school has the best recruiters lining up?
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jun 2006
Posts: 513
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 79 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: ISB vs. IIM A vs IIM C [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2007, 18:47
1
This post received
KUDOS
gauravgoyal_g wrote:
What are your rankings for the 1 year programs at these schools? Also which school has the best recruiters lining up?


Gaurav,

I'm responding to your PM later. Let me respond to this: mind you I never applied to any of these schools (though years ago I got calls from IIM-C and L) I've done quite a bit of research on ISB (and decided to drop it) and was interested in applying to IIM-A PGPEX (not PGP via CAT) but could not due to timing issues. I even asked them if they could wait for my application but they politely refused :)

Here are my thoughts - and they're purely mine, feel free to completely disregard!

1. ISB - good reputation, gaining ground quickly, good visiting professors, recruitment seems strong.

2. IIM-A - powerful brand in India, PGPEX course is very new (the second batch - or maybe it was first - started this year) so hard to say how it will do. But given IIM-A brand power in India I'm sure recruiters will be knocking on its doors.

3. IIM-C - new again, hard say how it will go. It seems to be lying low compared to IIM-A's PGPEX.

But here's the downside.

ISB - if you have more than 5-6 years experience, it doesn't feel like a good place. For me, someone with 10+ years, it was a clear no-go. The class will be comprised of more than 90% Indians, most with similar backgrounds, and most in 3-5 years experience category. Therefore, the strength of an alumni network, varied peers, chances for opening your vision to diverse industries and a truly international experience is missing.

I even spoke to an ISB alum with ~10 years experience and his first reaction was "why aren't you applying to international schools?". By the time I read the ISB boards on Yahoo groups I was very clear that this was not what I wanted to do.

IIMA - very new, you will have very few peer alumni and I don't know how the general IIM-A PGP classes treat PGPEX. I believe one of the strong reasons to do an MBA is to have that network. Again, diversity is going to be weak here - but for someone who might want to stay back in India IIM-A is the best without a doubt. My brother is an IIM-A alumnus and it's brand power is not disputed in India.

I can't speak about IIM-C but I would think it is ~same as IIM-A though it's lower profile.

For experienced people, IIM-A PGPEX is the best bet. You might want to send an e-mail to ISB Adcom (like I did) to put you in touch with someone similar to your profile (experience, background etc) and then talk to them. That will give you the best picture. But if you're looking for an international career, experience and global branding - you have to look at top US schools and LBS/INSEAD/IMD.

I will respond to your INSEAD queries via PM.
_________________

http://onwardtomba.blogspot.com - MBA, GMAT, INSEAD - the journey.
My 7 GMAT Quant Strategies/Trap
My GMAT Debrief

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Aug 2006
Posts: 5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2007, 21:45
Hi Necromonger
Your analysis and elucidation was great. I had further enquiries on the subject. Can I PM you?
Regards.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jun 2006
Posts: 513
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2007, 21:47
knsingh wrote:
Hi Necromonger
Your analysis and elucidation was great. I had further enquiries on the subject. Can I PM you?
Regards.


sure kn - I might be slightly delayed in my response but I will respond.
_________________

http://onwardtomba.blogspot.com - MBA, GMAT, INSEAD - the journey.
My 7 GMAT Quant Strategies/Trap
My GMAT Debrief

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Sep 2006
Posts: 123
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2007, 00:40
Thanks for your insight necromonger. It is invaluable.
I hadn't thought of the lack of an alumni network at IIMA as a weakness. But that's a very valid point. Moreover it is unclear about what the first batch is doing after their graduation. I'm also trying to get in touch with some IIMA alumni.
Great suggestion on sending an email to ISB.
As you know I definitely have the European schools in mind.
Because of visa issues US schools are out for me. I'm also looking at a couple of Canadian schools.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 28 Mar 2006
Posts: 1389
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2007, 16:34
I would differ on the opinion on IIMA.

The premium institution would by far can outbeat many 1year MBAs around the globe in no time

Give it a time frame of 5 years and you will see the difference.

The global growth is hovering around India and China and it would just be a matter of 3 - 5 years!!! (Quite a prediction :-D )
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jun 2006
Posts: 513
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2007, 17:09
Trivikram - I can't comment about the future :) My take on it is that you would want to compare IIMA with the top programs in the world (for e.g. in the league of http://www.mbagcf.com/ ) and not any 1 year (or 2 year) MBAs.

My comments were more from "how things are now" and what that would translate to under normal circumstances.

trivikram wrote:
I would differ on the opinion on IIMA.

The premium institution would by far can outbeat many 1year MBAs around the globe in no time

Give it a time frame of 5 years and you will see the difference.

The global growth is hovering around India and China and it would just be a matter of 3 - 5 years!!! (Quite a prediction :-D )
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 28 Mar 2006
Posts: 1389
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2007, 20:44
necromonger wrote:
Trivikram - I can't comment about the future :) My take on it is that you would want to compare IIMA with the top programs in the world (for e.g. in the league of http://www.mbagcf.com/ ) and not any 1 year (or 2 year) MBAs.

My comments were more from "how things are now" and what that would translate to under normal circumstances.

trivikram wrote:
I would differ on the opinion on IIMA.

The premium institution would by far can outbeat many 1year MBAs around the globe in no time

Give it a time frame of 5 years and you will see the difference.

The global growth is hovering around India and China and it would just be a matter of 3 - 5 years!!! (Quite a prediction :-D )


Take it easy buddy....Neither can I predict about any school. :)

But your insights were very good. Thanks for such a wonderful analysis.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 20 Feb 2007
Posts: 12
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

 [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2007, 01:10
i am of the opinion that indian institutes dont stand in the same league as US institutes.
i have served in the Government administration in India for 10 years have tech background and would like to go for an mba.
Is it too late for a carreer change.
Is it advisable to go for a one year mba.

i prefer a cool life and not a over competitive environment.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jun 2006
Posts: 513
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2007, 11:08
namah,

Whether you should do a 1 year MBA or not is a decision you need to take based on your circumstances. There are many articles on the pros and cons of 1 year MBAs and you can read them up.

The world's best 1 year general management MBA programs are outside the US - in INSEAD and IMD, and these are also among the world's top schools (some US schools offer 1 year programs that need . The programs are very intense and as far as your comments on "I want a cool job", After all, in most cases post MBA you will be into more responsible and stressful positions in a competitive environment and you need to clarify what you mean by a "cool job".
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 28 Mar 2006
Posts: 1389
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2007, 19:16
necromonger wrote:
namah,

Whether you should do a 1 year MBA or not is a decision you need to take based on your circumstances. There are many articles on the pros and cons of 1 year MBAs and you can read them up.

The world's best 1 year general management MBA programs are outside the US - in INSEAD and IMD, and these are also among the world's top schools (some US schools offer 1 year programs that need . The programs are very intense and as far as your comments on "I want a cool job", After all, in most cases post MBA you will be into more responsible and stressful positions in a competitive environment and you need to clarify what you mean by a "cool job".


Absolutely.....A post MBA job is generally not cool....Big bucks are paid for something not so cool situations where you will provide some direction which is never easy :-D :-D ....
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 20 Feb 2007
Posts: 12
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

 [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2007, 01:45
thanks for the reply. i did not get the answer for whether is it late to do an mba after 10 years of Government job.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Sep 2006
Posts: 123
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2007, 02:18
I don't think it is late.
I myself have about 10 years of experience and am planning to go for an MBA.
I guess what is important to figure out is how you will use your MBA. I would probably start with evaluating your own skills. Skills could be what you've learnt on your job so far and other soft skills that you may possess. You could then figure out what you want to do next in your career. Which skills do you want to develop, which skills do you want to acquire and how do you think you can leverage your skills to benefit your career. For example lets say that you have experience in IT, then you could first think about whether you want to stick in IT or not. If yes, then waht kind of career would you want in IT. For that what kind of skills do you require. Are there any MBA schools that will provide you those skills? Then you could also try to find people similar to your background who went to b school and see what they did after doing their MBA. They would provide you the best guidance and role models. There is no correct answer to your question. It depends. There are people with even greater experience than yours, who have done an MBA and have been really sucessful later....
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 20 Feb 2007
Posts: 12
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

 [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2007, 01:29
where are you planning for your mba, India or abroad.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Dec 2007
Posts: 106
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 8

Re: ISB vs. IIM A vs IIM C [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2009, 19:53
necromonger wrote:
gauravgoyal_g wrote:
What are your rankings for the 1 year programs at these schools? Also which school has the best recruiters lining up?


Gaurav,

I'm responding to your PM later. Let me respond to this: mind you I never applied to any of these schools (though years ago I got calls from IIM-C and L) I've done quite a bit of research on ISB (and decided to drop it) and was interested in applying to IIM-A PGPEX (not PGP via CAT) but could not due to timing issues. I even asked them if they could wait for my application but they politely refused :)

Here are my thoughts - and they're purely mine, feel free to completely disregard!

1. ISB - good reputation, gaining ground quickly, good visiting professors, recruitment seems strong.

2. IIM-A - powerful brand in India, PGPEX course is very new (the second batch - or maybe it was first - started this year) so hard to say how it will do. But given IIM-A brand power in India I'm sure recruiters will be knocking on its doors.

3. IIM-C - new again, hard say how it will go. It seems to be lying low compared to IIM-A's PGPEX.

But here's the downside.

ISB - if you have more than 5-6 years experience, it doesn't feel like a good place. For me, someone with 10+ years, it was a clear no-go. The class will be comprised of more than 90% Indians, most with similar backgrounds, and most in 3-5 years experience category. Therefore, the strength of an alumni network, varied peers, chances for opening your vision to diverse industries and a truly international experience is missing.

I even spoke to an ISB alum with ~10 years experience and his first reaction was "why aren't you applying to international schools?". By the time I read the ISB boards on Yahoo groups I was very clear that this was not what I wanted to do.

IIMA - very new, you will have very few peer alumni and I don't know how the general IIM-A PGP classes treat PGPEX. I believe one of the strong reasons to do an MBA is to have that network. Again, diversity is going to be weak here - but for someone who might want to stay back in India IIM-A is the best without a doubt. My brother is an IIM-A alumnus and it's brand power is not disputed in India.

I can't speak about IIM-C but I would think it is ~same as IIM-A though it's lower profile.

For experienced people, IIM-A PGPEX is the best bet. You might want to send an e-mail to ISB Adcom (like I did) to put you in touch with someone similar to your profile (experience, background etc) and then talk to them. That will give you the best picture. But if you're looking for an international career, experience and global branding - you have to look at top US schools and LBS/INSEAD/IMD.

I will respond to your INSEAD queries via PM.



What do you feel about Singapore MBA -Nanyang Business school. Can we expect a international MBA exposure here? Also whether to what extend the US schools helps an internation student to fund his MBA..
Re: ISB vs. IIM A vs IIM C   [#permalink] 18 Aug 2009, 19:53
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic Eligible for PGPex from IIM-A or IIM-C ? a sajidshahi 1 14 May 2014, 02:13
10 Experts publish their posts in the topic IIM Bangalore (top Indian B school) vs UCLA Anderson $$ jainpiyushjain 14 11 Apr 2014, 11:57
NUS Vs. ISB & IIMs allurakesh 6 12 May 2013, 21:18
Applying to ISb, IIM class of 2014 raghu123 9 06 May 2012, 02:09
6 Applying to ISB,IIM (A,B,C,L) for the class of 2012 punagr 51 31 Mar 2010, 10:34
Display posts from previous: Sort by

ISB vs. IIM A vs IIM C

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.