Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 04:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

ISB vs. Tepper

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
ISB vs. Tepper [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2007, 14:50
...and so it is decision time...something i was dreading :? ...i know that i should consider myself lucky to be in such a position in the first place....but i still hate it when i have two equally enticing options (no points for guessing my sun sign :twisted: )

Indian School of Business or Tepper..which one is it going to be?! i was wondering if you guys can provide some objective insights...i know that not many of you might have heard about ISB but then i believe there are many Indians here who will understand my dilemma...

As per one of my previous posts...following are the advantages and disadvantages of both, as i presume...to make it simpler, i am listing only the points which are advantages for one and disadvantage for the other (IMO)

ISB Advantages/Tepper disadvantages

1) One year course => less time out of work force and suits me as i am not planning to drmatically switch careers. (In IT currently and looking to move to Tech/Strategy consulting)

2) Costs around $ 34K as against $ 150K for Tepper => smaller hole in my pocket.

3) In India => it's closer to home; my spouse can work and hence ease the financial burden; i don't have to worry about the housing/visa/funding problems.

ISB disadvantages/Tepper advantages

1) Diversity => With only a handful of full time international students, ISB can not boast of much touted diversity…and again, 40% of it’s class is typically from IT background.

2) Brand Name => Let me put this simply: If I wish to work outside India, ISB brand name will not help me much (at least as of now). Within India, ISB has a pretty decent reputation…

3) Overall MBA experience => ISB can not provide me the kind of experience available at Tepper

thoughts?!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2007, 15:56
If your long term goal is to stay in India only , then ISB may be better, otherwise Tepper
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2007, 16:53
jainan24 wrote:
If your long term goal is to stay in India only , then ISB may be better, otherwise Tepper

Agreed. Seems pretty simple.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2007, 17:12
I think you should focus more on your short-term goal while choosing the school. Where do you want to work post graduation?

Long term you never know if you will be in india, usa, or join that satellite office at moon that your future company will open in 2049 :-D

btw, contrats on the admits.

I believe its yogurt!

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2007, 17:16
Dont know what you folks are coming from...University of Phoenix Online rules !!!

I believe its yogurt!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross, Kellogg, Darden (i/v)

GMAT Tests User
Re: ISB vs. Tepper [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2007, 20:51
luminos24 wrote:

2) Costs around $ 34K as against $ 150K for Tepper => smaller hole in my pocket.

But when you graduate from Tepper, you can expect USD 100k plus. If you are working in India post ISB, the ROI is bad. So, in your case with either of the schools you are better off working in a Western country. In that case, isnt Tepper a better option?
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2007, 06:18
gmatmba wrote:
Where do you want to work post graduation?

Thanx for your wishes...immediately after graduation i am open to work in any part of the world...however, i plan to return back to India after 3 - 5 years....

One one hand, if i have to return back to India after all then ISB is a good option providing fairly okay ROI...

One the other hand...if i work in US post graduation, pay off my loans and then return back to India, i would still be in the same/better position + MBA from Tepper...

mba07 wrote:
But when you graduate from Tepper, you can expect USD 100k plus. If you are working in India post ISB, the ROI is bad. So, in your case with either of the schools you are better off working in a Western country. In that case, isnt Tepper a better option?

Post ISB if i wish to work in India, then ROI is not all that bad...It will probably compare to ROI post Tepper working in the US
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2007, 06:24
So then I guess your decision really has nothing to do with comparing the two schools, but rather it requires you to decide whether you want to live in the US or India after graduation, a much bigger decision.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2007, 08:09
I believe it is not that simple :)

Coming to Tepper offers me a better education and a global/diverse learning but it also means taking a greater risk and dragging my spouse with me to an unfamiliar environment.

Going to ISB offers me a chance to be closer to home and finish my MBA in 1 year but it also requires me to compromise on the quality of my education and restrict my post grad opportunities to India/Asia Pacific

:?:
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2007, 08:28
Considering your concerns, I suggest you ask your spouse.

If she wants to stay in India / Pacific, and you want to stay with her, ISB makes the most sense.

The worst case scenario is that you select Tepper, attend, your wife hates it here, and you go back to India with a less(?) recognised MBA that cost a lot more.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross, Kellogg, Darden (i/v)

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2007, 20:23
luminos24 wrote:
gmatmba wrote:
Where do you want to work post graduation?

Thanx for your wishes...immediately after graduation i am open to work in any part of the world...however, i plan to return back to India after 3 - 5 years....

If you want to get back to India in 3-5 years, I guess ISB makes perfect sense. if you get an international offer, you can work abroad for 3-5 years and get back. Also, your spouse wont have to spend 2 years in an alien environment.
Good luck!
VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2007, 11:49
I suggest you do some thorough checking of this issue.

Check Tepper for:
Check whether internationals from Tepper have been able to secure positions / work permits, etc. Check grads from 2002-2003 who had to endure the harsh post 9/11 years to see what a really bad environment would be like. Check if the recruiters you are interested in recruit internationals or not. Check the actual living + tuition expenses for your family and lifestyle (not just the typical figure). And then decide what you want to do.

Check ISB for:
the opportunities you can hope to get. Go beyond the headline grabbing McKinsey or Goldman recruits. Check what the average student is getting.

Check yourself for:
what you wanna do and where you'd like to spend the next 5 yrs.

Hope it helps. L.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2007, 08:10
Thanx all for your inputs...i am doing my thorough home work now...trying to catch up with as many alumni as possible...

thanx for your kind words and advices
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2007, 07:18
luminos24 wrote:
Thanx all for your inputs...i am doing my thorough home work now...trying to catch up with as many alumni as possible...

thanx for your kind words and advices

so what Have u chosen? Just curious :lol:
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2007, 13:39
Tepper it is.... :)

i talked to a lot of people and was trying to get as many opinions as possible (actually, trying to make sure that i don't sc**w up this opportunity)...

The general feedback i got was that Tepper was a better investment, giving me a lot more flexibility/recognition/contacts/opportunities than ISB. There will be difficulties on the monetary and social life front...but then...life ain't a cake walk :)

I will be withdrawing my acceptance from ISB but the question is....HOW TO GET MY ACCEPTANCE FEE BACK !!!! :twisted: it's almost ($3000)

any suggestions on how i should approach them?! ;-)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2007, 18:55
What kind of acceptance fee is that. $3000???!!!@@@@???? You mean the acceptance deposit, so how likely to get it back???

ghibi!
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2007, 07:34
GHIBI wrote:
What kind of acceptance fee is that. $3000???!!!@@@@???? You mean the acceptance deposit, so how likely to get it back???

ghibi!

Yes..my mistake....acceptance deposit should be the correct term
  [#permalink] 20 Mar 2007, 07:34