Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 09:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

IT Engineer with 3.5 years of non-IT experience, 710 GMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 3

IT Engineer with 3.5 years of non-IT experience, 710 GMAT [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 07:46
Edited for privacy.

Last edited by ummagumma on 16 Apr 2013, 04:38, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 490 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: IT Engineer with 3.5 years of non-IT experience, 710 GMAT [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 23:33
Expert's post
I think you have overall a good profile. Thank yourself for that very nice GMAT which should make up somewhat for the less than stellar grades.

The one thing that I have doubts about regarding your profile is the wisdom of your career goal choice. I'll tell you why. When I was reading through your profile and read about your experience in publishing, my first thought was: that's great! Everybody in India is always coming from IT and wanting to go into finance, or coming from finance and wanting to stay into finance, and here is some guy who does something altogether different! How interesting! And then, in the goals you present you want to do what everybody else is doing :(...

Not that in itself it is a problem. I mean if you have dedicated your life to finance, why not continue in it? Sure, sure, even if it is a bit standard. However, presenting such goals when you have little to no experience in Finance does not make your career choice very plausible sounding either, nor is it allowing you to draw upon the strength of your experience. So my first recommendation would be to reconsider your goals: Maybe you can find a way to use that unique experience you and few others have to come up with a passionate and unique goal that is also credible and plausible??

Any thoughts???

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 3

Re: IT Engineer with 3.5 years of non-IT experience, 710 GMAT [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2013, 01:49
Edited for privacy.

Last edited by ummagumma on 16 Apr 2013, 04:39, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 490 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: IT Engineer with 3.5 years of non-IT experience, 710 GMAT [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2013, 00:10
Expert's post
:)

Well if I was just interested in one thing, that would make life pretty boring yeah?

I see your thoughts about your career goal, and I understand your hesitation to present a goal in an industry in which few recruit from MBAs... But you need to find a goal where it does make sense and is desire in the industry, and even if there isn't a history of employers for the school, still you only need one right? ;) Plus, I think the advantage gained from having unique goals that are logical totally outweighs the consideration of their common recruiters.

One more thought: At this point in your life you don't have to KNOW for sure what you will actually do (anyway B-school will change that), what you DO have to know is what you are going to write in your essays... And what you actually do and what you write don't have to be the same things.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!