Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 04:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

It has been said that all one can do for a sprained ankle is

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 195 [0], given: 100

It has been said that all one can do for a sprained ankle is [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2009, 02:16
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

33% (02:08) correct 67% (00:14) wrong based on 4 sessions
It has been said that all one can do for a sprained ankle is leave it alone while it heals itself, ice it, and to lie with it in a slightly elevated position

(A) all one can do for a sprained ankle is leave it alone while it heals itself, ice it, and to
(B) all one can do for a sprained ankle is to leave it alone to heal itself, to ice it, and
(C) all one can do for a sprained ankle is leave it alone while it heals itself, and then ice it and
(D) the only thing that can be done for a sprained ankle is leave it alone while it heals itself, ice it, and
(E) the only thing that can be done for a sprained ankle is to leave it alone while it heals itself, to ice it, and

OA:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

It is an oversimplified view of cattle raising to say that all one has to do with cattle is leave them alone while they feed themselves, corral them, and to drive them to market when the time is ripe.

(A) all one has to do with cattle is leave them alone while they feed themselves, corral them, and to
(B) all one has to do with cattle is to leave them alone to feed themselves, to corral them, and
(C) all one has to do with cattle is leave them alone while they feed themselves and then corral them and
(D) the only thing that has to be done with cattle is leave them alone while they feed themselves, corral them, and
(E) the only thing that has to be done with cattle is to leave them alone while they feed themselves, to corral them, and

OA:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
C

DISCUSSIONS as to why the answers differ.

countdown-beginshas-ended-85483-40.html#p649902

Last edited by tejal777 on 24 Oct 2009, 02:26, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 195 [0], given: 100

Re: two simliar questions.. [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2009, 02:24
Lets look at the first one..
the correct answer will have either:
to leave, to ice and to lie
or
leave, ice and lie

Quote:
It has been said that all one can do for a sprained ankle is leave it alone while it heals itself, ice it, and to lie with it in a slightly elevated position

(A) all one can do for a sprained ankle is leave it alone while it heals itself, ice it, and to
(B) all one can do for a sprained ankle is to leave it alone to heal itself, to ice it, and >>Third TO is missing
(C) all one can do for a sprained ankle is leave it alone while it heals itself, and then ice it and
(D) the only thing that can be done for a sprained ankle is leave it alone while it heals itself, ice it, and>>CORRECT
(E) the only thing that can be done for a sprained ankle is to leave it alone while it heals itself, to ice it, and >>Third TO is missing

Note:Here C is the incorrect answer because it does not maintain parallelism and the use of "then" is incorrect?

Now.lets look at the second question:

Quote:
It is an oversimplified view of cattle raising to say that all one has to do with cattle is leave them alone while they feed themselves, corral them, and to drive them to market when the time is ripe.

(A) all one has to do with cattle is leave them alone while they feed themselves, corral them, and to
(B) all one has to do with cattle is to leave them alone to feed themselves, to corral them, and
(C) all one has to do with cattle is leave them alone while they feed themselves and then corral them and
(D) the only thing that has to be done with cattle is leave them alone while they feed themselves, corral them, and
(E) the only thing that has to be done with cattle is to leave them alone while they feed themselves, to corral them, and

Please tell me why C is right and D is wrong.

countdown-beginshas-ended-85483-40.html#p649902

SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 2

Re: two simliar questions..compare and contrast [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2010, 13:43
In the first one, D says "The only thing...", and then it enumerates 3 things..

That sounds strange for me.
Thanks,

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 3

Re: two simliar questions..compare and contrast [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2010, 22:47
D .leave it alone while it heals itself, and then ice it and

makes the most sense

how can you leave the ankle and at the same time icing it ...u have to first leave it and then ice it .....all other sentences use the wrong chronology ...if htis is the OA i wonder what the sources is ? ...i think its a pretty bad sources
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 226 [0], given: 6

Re: two simliar questions..compare and contrast [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2010, 07:52
I picked (C) and I am not convinced with (D).

The only reason I did not pick (D) is because it says....." the only thing...." and then list multiple things.....can someone explain how (D) is correct?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 38

Re: two simliar questions..compare and contrast [#permalink] New post 15 May 2010, 06:31
I answered both correctly. My reasoning:

For #1, all three actions are in the same timeframe. but for #2, the first action has to be separated from the latter two which happen when the time is ripe.

Why #1C is incorrect but #2C is correct?
#1C: "leave it alone while it heals itself, and then ice it and lie" : "X, and then Y and Z"
#2C: "leave them alone while they feed themselves and then corral them and market" : "X and then Y and Z"
Here the comma after X in #1C is unnecessary.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 10

Re: two simliar questions.. [#permalink] New post 15 May 2010, 13:07
Imo the ans for both the question shuld be D , they should'nt differ
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 2

Re: two simliar questions..compare and contrast [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2010, 07:05
noboru wrote:
In the first one, D says "The only thing...", and then it enumerates 3 things..

That sounds strange for me.
Thanks,

Nobody is going to comment this point?
Thanks

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 17

Re: two simliar questions..compare and contrast [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2010, 09:30
These are some weird questions, yo, that confuse you rather than teach you SC. What are the sources.

Hard work is the main determinant of success

Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 340

Kudos [?]: 746 [0], given: 11

Re: two simliar questions..compare and contrast [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2010, 17:42
Hey All,

Man these are annoying questions. No sources given, and the underlines are all messed up. There are also a couple of issues.

The difference between "all one can do" and "the only that can be done" is problematic. I prefer the former, by a long shot, even though the "OA" (I put it in quotes, because it has no OFFICIAL source.) for the first question here chooses the latter. I'm not sure if it's a straight issue, but I think it's quite unclear who is doing the action in that answer.

It has been said that all one can do for a sprained ankle is leave it alone while it heals itself, ice it, and to lie with it in a slightly elevated position.

PROBLEM: The list starts after the word "is". Then we get a list, meaning we need parallelism. "leave" and "ice" are parallel. But "to lie" is not.

(B) all one can do for a sprained ankle is to leave it alone to heal itself, to ice it, and
PROBLEM: This time, we lost the "to" on the last item".

PROBLEM: This doesn't make sense. If you the "then" in, it sounds like you're icing it after leaving it alone while it heals. But that's illogical.

(D) the only thing that can be done for a sprained ankle is leave it alone while it heals itself, ice it, and
ANSWER: Leave, ice, and lie are all parallel. However, I still hold "the only thing...is leave, ice..., and elevate..." is ridiculous on two separate levels. First, how is that a thing? Secondly, how is that ONE thing?

(E) the only thing that can be done for a sprained ankle is to leave it alone while it heals itself, to ice it, and
PROBLEM: We lost our last "to" again.

OA:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

PROBLEM: the "to" at the end isn't parallel with "leave" or "corral".

PROBLEM: We need our last "to".

ANSWER: Okay. So this one can technically work. Basically, we have two lists, and one of those lists has a list of two things INSIDE it. That's why we end up with two "and" in a row (ANOTHER EXAMPLE: I like reubens and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches). But there's a problem, in that

PROBLEM/POSSIBLE ANSWER: Okay. As I said, I much prefer "one" on BOTH of these questions, because it creates an actor/subject for the verbs. But the list here is problematic, because corral has two meanings. It can mean "round up" (which makes the last sentence make sense, because you would corral them and bring them to market one after the other). However, it can also mean "keep in a corral", which you would ALSO have to do in order to keep cattle, meaning that THIS list would ALSO be correct. While the previous sentence would still make more sense, I don't see a grammatical issue with the list here.

But the upshot is these are crap questions. Where from?

-t

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 421 [0], given: 36

Re: two simliar questions..compare and contrast [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2010, 00:46
Tommy
Awesome explanation! I am taking your word :-D

I believe the first question is problematic. I will not study from it. :wink:

TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

Man these are annoying questions. No sources given, and the underlines are all messed up. There are also a couple of issues.

The difference between "all one can do" and "the only that can be done" is problematic. I prefer the former, by a long shot, even though the "OA" (I put it in quotes, because it has no OFFICIAL source.) for the first question here chooses the latter. I'm not sure if it's a straight issue, but I think it's quite unclear who is doing the action in that answer.

It has been said that all one can do for a sprained ankle is leave it alone while it heals itself, ice it, and to lie with it in a slightly elevated position.

PROBLEM: The list starts after the word "is". Then we get a list, meaning we need parallelism. "leave" and "ice" are parallel. But "to lie" is not.

PROBLEM: This time, we lost the "to" on the last item".

PROBLEM: This doesn't make sense. If you the "then" in, it sounds like you're icing it after leaving it alone while it heals. But that's illogical.

ANSWER: Leave, ice, and lie are all parallel. However, I still hold "the only thing...is leave, ice..., and elevate..." is ridiculous on two separate levels. First, how is that a thing? Secondly, how is that ONE thing?

OA:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

PROBLEM: the "to" at the end isn't parallel with "leave" or "corral".

PROBLEM: We need our last "to".

ANSWER: Okay. So this one can technically work. Basically, we have two lists, and one of those lists has a list of two things INSIDE it. That's why we end up with two "and" in a row (ANOTHER EXAMPLE: I like reubens and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches). But there's a problem, in that

PROBLEM/POSSIBLE ANSWER: Okay. As I said, I much prefer "one" on BOTH of these questions, because it creates an actor/subject for the verbs. But the list here is problematic, because corral has two meanings. It can mean "round up" (which makes the last sentence make sense, because you would corral them and bring them to market one after the other). However, it can also mean "keep in a corral", which you would ALSO have to do in order to keep cattle, meaning that THIS list would ALSO be correct. While the previous sentence would still make more sense, I don't see a grammatical issue with the list here.

But the upshot is these are crap questions. Where from?

-t

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Re: two simliar questions..compare and contrast   [#permalink] 10 Aug 2010, 00:46