Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 01:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

It is a mistake to give post office employees individual

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [2] , given: 0

It is a mistake to give post office employees individual [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2010, 06:22
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

58% (02:09) correct 42% (01:14) wrong based on 179 sessions
It is a mistake to give post office employees individual discretion as to when to inspect or open suspicious packages. If individual employees are allowed to open “suspicious” packages without first following a strict protocol, it is only a matter of time before all packages will arrive having already been opened due to some postal employee’s idle curiosity.

The conclusion above is based on which of the following assumptions?
A Postal service managers are the only people with the authority to open suspicious packages.
B Suspicious packages are indistinguishable from all other kinds of package.
C The efficiency of the postal service will be greatly reduced if more packages are inspected.
D There is currently no protocol in place for the inspection of suspicious packages.
E Postal employees desire to open packages out of curiosity.

Source <V05>
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

------------------------------------
Waiting for KUDOS

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 48 [1] , given: 1

Re: Post office employees [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2010, 07:45
This post received
KUDOS
IMO E.

Explanation::

Conclusion: It is a mistake to give post office employees individual discretion as to when to inspect or open suspicious packages.

Premise: If individual employees are allowed to open “suspicious” packages without first following a strict protocol it is only a matter of time before all packages will arrive having already been opened due to some postal employee’s idle curiosity.

Possible assumptions:
A strict protocol is already in place.
Employees are not allowed to open the packages unless they follow a strict protocol
All packages will seem suspicious
Employees in general are curious
Options:
A) Postal service managers are the only people with the authority to open suspicious packages. - Apply negation, service managers are not the only ones allowed to open packages, this does not affect the conclusion.
B) Suspicious packages are indistinguishable from all other kinds of package. - Not associated with main conclusion. Even if the two types can be identified, behavior of the employees is not going to change.
C) The efficiency of the postal service will be greatly reduced if more packages are inspected. - Out of scope.
D) There is currently no protocol in place for the inspection of suspicious packages. - Using negation, there is a protocol in place, it in fact strengths the argument. This can not be an assumption.
E) Postal employees desire to open packages out of curiosity - Using negation, employees are not curious therfore will not open the package, destroys the argument. This is the correct option.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Re: Post office employees [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2010, 04:06
And what is the official answer ?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Post office employees [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2010, 04:29
OA E

------------------------------------
Waiting for KUDOS

Manager
Manager
Status: If u've ego, u've reached ur limit; if ur humble u've no limit.
Affiliations: IIT
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 30

GMAT Tests User
Re: It is a mistake to give post office employees individual [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2012, 12:48
Between B & E
Premise: If individual employees are allowed to open “suspicious” packages without first following a strict protocol,
Conclusion1: it is only a matter of time before all packages will arrive having already been opened due to some postal employee’s idle curiosity.
Conclusion2: It is a mistake to give post office employees individual discretion as to when to inspect or open suspicious packages.

Premise --> conclusion1 needs assumption B and no necessarily E.

B Suspicious packages are indistinguishable from all other kinds of package. if the packages are indistinguishable then employees are allowed to open all packages.
E Postal employees desire to open packages out of curiosity. This is certainly an assumption but it's not an assumption on which argument depends - It doesn't imply that all packages will be opened due to some employee's curiosity. B direclty connects with argument that all packages would be opened coz they cannot distinguish.

Note: Conclusion1 is more of inference than conclusion because it's direct consequence of 'IF' premise.

OA given is E, but I feel this questions is either wrong or at best ambigous.

--Syed
" Some are desperate for success, and therefore destined for it."

Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: It is a mistake to give post office employees individual [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2012, 21:32
E, postal service officials desire to open packages out of curiosity that's why author wants to propose stricter protocols.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: It is a mistake to give post office employees individual [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2012, 21:29
E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 20

Re: It is a mistake to give post office employees individual [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2012, 20:43
Initially I thought D should be the answer. Later realized, even giving employees individual discretion is also a policy and hence D is not valid.

-------------------------
-Aravind Chembeti

Manager
Manager
WE 1: Information Technology(Retail)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 29

Re: It is a mistake to give post office employees individual [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2012, 23:46
IMO B,

Agree with SyedSan.Whats is the source of this question?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 20

Re: It is a mistake to give post office employees individual [#permalink] New post 29 Feb 2012, 00:17
SyedSan wrote:
Between B & E
Premise: If individual employees are allowed to open “suspicious” packages without first following a strict protocol,
Conclusion1: it is only a matter of time before all packages will arrive having already been opened due to some postal employee’s idle curiosity.
Conclusion2: It is a mistake to give post office employees individual discretion as to when to inspect or open suspicious packages.

Premise --> conclusion1 needs assumption B and no necessarily E.

B Suspicious packages are indistinguishable from all other kinds of package. if the packages are indistinguishable then employees are allowed to open all packages.
E Postal employees desire to open packages out of curiosity. This is certainly an assumption but it's not an assumption on which argument depends - It doesn't imply that all packages will be opened due to some employee's curiosity. B direclty connects with argument that all packages would be opened coz they cannot distinguish.

Note: Conclusion1 is more of inference than conclusion because it's direct consequence of 'IF' premise.

OA given is E, but I feel this questions is either wrong or at best ambigous.

I do not see anything wrong with the question and answer. (BTW, source is GMATClub, AFAIK)

Let us think that we need to decide to setup a police station at a town. What would be the basis?
Is it enough to find that whether or not people at that town know what is crime and what is not crime?
Or is it required to know the crime rate?

Obviously the answer is to know the crime rate which is the measure of people behavior not their knowledge.

-------------------------
-Aravind Chembeti

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 20

Re: It is a mistake to give post office employees individual [#permalink] New post 29 Feb 2012, 15:47
Quote:
It is a mistake to give post office employees individual discretion as to when to inspect or open suspicious packages. If individual employees are allowed to open “suspicious” packages without first following a strict protocol, it is only a matter of time before all packages will arrive having already been opened due to some postal employee’s idle curiosity.

As per the original sentence, if the workers are allowed to open suspicious packages, there is a fear that almost all of the packages at the recipients will be found as opened. Thus it assumes that the postal workers have a tendency to open packages out of curiosity.

IMO Answer:- E
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 8

Re: It is a mistake to give post office employees individual [#permalink] New post 29 Feb 2012, 20:11
Man i feel so lame. One of the main things i learnt is in CR i shld read all answer choices. I tried to answer this without even reading E. how lame of me?
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 41

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: It is a mistake to give post office employees individual [#permalink] New post 29 Feb 2012, 22:20
It is a mistake to give post office employees individual discretion as to when to inspect or open suspicious packages.

Negate choice E
E Postal employees DO NOT desire to open packages out of curiosity. => not all of the packages will be opened, so the new protocol is not mistake. The conclusion is broken.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: IT 1 Yr
WE 2: Supply Chain 5 Yrs
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 124 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: It is a mistake to give post office employees individual [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2012, 02:45
the desire to open the the packages is already stated in the argument. How can that be an assumption??
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GPA: 3.3
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 274

CAT Tests
Re: It is a mistake to give post office employees individual [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2014, 20:49
I still don't agree with the OA. I guess there are two assumptions.

premise:If individual employees are allowed to open “suspicious” packages without first following a strict protocol, it is only a matter of time before all packages will arrive having already been opened due to some postal employee’s idle curiosity.
Conclusion : It is a mistake to give post office employees individual discretion as to when to inspect or open suspicious packages

So the postal employees will open the package if postal employees are allowed to open "suspicious" packages.

Option B) Suspicious packages are indistinguishable from all other kinds of package.
Negate option B) Suspicious packages are distinguishable from all other kinds of package.
-> That means the postal employees are able to distinguish suspicious packages from normal one and even if they are curious, not "ALL" packages will be opened.

Option E) Postal employees desire to open packages out of curiosity.
If we negate it, obviously the conclusion breaks.

I guess both Option E) and Option B) are assumptions.

Thanks,
Kinjal
Never Give Up !!!

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful
Linkedin Handle : https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=116231592

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GRE 1: 1380 Q780 V600
GPA: 4
WE: Management Consulting (Aerospace and Defense)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 24

CAT Tests
Re: It is a mistake to give post office employees individual [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2014, 13:57
kinjiGC wrote:
I still don't agree with the OA. I guess there are two assumptions.

premise:If individual employees are allowed to open “suspicious” packages without first following a strict protocol, it is only a matter of time before all packages will arrive having already been opened due to some postal employee’s idle curiosity.
Conclusion : It is a mistake to give post office employees individual discretion as to when to inspect or open suspicious packages

So the postal employees will open the package if postal employees are allowed to open "suspicious" packages.

Option B) Suspicious packages are indistinguishable from all other kinds of package.
Negate option B) Suspicious packages are distinguishable from all other kinds of package.
-> That means the postal employees are able to distinguish suspicious packages from normal one and even if they are curious, not "ALL" packages will be opened.

Option E) Postal employees desire to open packages out of curiosity.
If we negate it, obviously the conclusion breaks.

I guess both Option E) and Option B) are assumptions.

I doubt if GMAT will have such ambiguous/grey questions. I also picked B over E and after quite some deliberation, I feel the question is not representative of GMAT standards. Can any of the experts out there comment on this?
Re: It is a mistake to give post office employees individual   [#permalink] 14 Aug 2014, 13:57