Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 14:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

It is an historical fact that only in conditions of profound

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.72
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: CR 700 level Rome [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2011, 10:34
Thanks fluke that was a great explanation.
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 249 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR 700 level Rome [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2011, 12:36
+1 C

Profound societal instability doesn't guarantee that always there will be great works of art.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 6

Re: CR 700 level Rome [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2011, 18:25
If P only then Q is possible => If Not P then Not Q which is (C), answer

A) is if P then Q as a rule which isnt so.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Schulich, Rotman '15
GMAT Date: 03-28-2012
GPA: 2.8
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 9

Re: CR 700 level Rome [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2011, 18:32
I thought it was A at first too, but the first statement was ONLY in times of instability. A assumes that in ALL times of instability, where as C states that in times of peace, good literature cannot take place. which agrees with that first statement.

ONLY vs ALL would have changed this question entirely, hope this helps

“Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it.” - Greg Anderson

Follow my Journey at: nphelan-s-road-to-117533.html

Kudos? Don't mind if I do!

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.65

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR 700 level Rome [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2011, 02:13
"C" for me .. tough one
Expert Post
Followers: 241

Kudos [?]: 2045 [0], given: 677

Re: CR 700 level Rome [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2011, 09:12
Expert's post
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 59

Re: CR 700 level Rome [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2011, 03:52
nice explanation through number system!! :-D

Kudos for that!!

Soul!!

fluke wrote:
bschool83 wrote:
It is an historical fact that only in conditions of profound societal instability are great works of literature produced. During the first century B.C., Rome experienced almost constant civil war accompanied by social upheaval. It wasn't until the ascension of Nerva to the throne in 96 A.D. that the situation stabilized. Throughout the second century A.D., Rome experienced a century of uninterrupted peace and stability.

If all of the statements in the passage are true, then which of the following must also be true?

a. During the first century B.C., great works of literature were produced in Rome.
b. Roman art of the first century B.C. was superior to Roman art of the second century A.D.
c. During the second century A.D., no great works of literature were produced in Rome.
d. Historically, great works of literature can stir emotions that find their expression in political action.
e. The first century A.D. was a time of decreased literary production in Rome.

"Only in great instability are great works of literature produced."

If there is a great work of Lit, it must have been produced during extreme instability.

Reverse may not be true;
If there is great instability, then great works must be created.

If Rome experienced profound instability during all odd centuries, 1st century, 3rd century, 5th, 7th, 9th...
And it was prosperous and stable during even centuries: 2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th, 10th...

There are two 2 great epics/works. These two epics must have been produced during odd centuries. Maybe 5th and 7th. But, there is no guarantee that whenever there was instability, great artwork was created, OR we'd have had at least 10 works till date.

Also when it is said that the great artwork is created ONLY during bad periods, it is equivalent to saying great artwork is NEVER created during good periods. And we know 2nd century was a period of stability for Rome.

Ans: "C"
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR 700 level Rome [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2011, 06:07
O overlooked the word 'only', so got trapped in A.

Thanks and Regards,
GM.

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Aidha
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT 2: 620 Q49 V27
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V36
WE: Other (Other)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 43

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR 700 level Rome [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2011, 21:05
fluke wrote:
bschool83 wrote:
It is an historical fact that only in conditions of profound societal instability are great works of literature produced. During the first century B.C., Rome experienced almost constant civil war accompanied by social upheaval. It wasn't until the ascension of Nerva to the throne in 96 A.D. that the situation stabilized. Throughout the second century A.D., Rome experienced a century of uninterrupted peace and stability.

If all of the statements in the passage are true, then which of the following must also be true?

a. During the first century B.C., great works of literature were produced in Rome.
b. Roman art of the first century B.C. was superior to Roman art of the second century A.D.
c. During the second century A.D., no great works of literature were produced in Rome.
d. Historically, great works of literature can stir emotions that find their expression in political action.
e. The first century A.D. was a time of decreased literary production in Rome.

"Only in great instability are great works of literature produced."

If there is a great work of Lit, it must have been produced during extreme instability.

Reverse may not be true;
If there is great instability, then great works must be created.

If Rome experienced profound instability during all odd centuries, 1st century, 3rd century, 5th, 7th, 9th...
And it was prosperous and stable during even centuries: 2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th, 10th...

There are two 2 great epics/works. These two epics must have been produced during odd centuries. Maybe 5th and 7th. But, there is no guarantee that whenever there was instability, great artwork was created, OR we'd have had at least 10 works till date.

Also when it is said that the great artwork is created ONLY during bad periods, it is equivalent to saying great artwork is NEVER created during good periods. And we know 2nd century was a period of stability for Rome.

Ans: "C"

Good explanation fluke. Kudos to you!!

If my post did a dance in your mind, send me the steps through kudos :)

My MBA journey at http://mbadilemma.wordpress.com/

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 124 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: It is an historical fact that only in conditions of profound [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2012, 10:40
Yeah was confused between A and C , picked A but it is wrong , C is right.

basically works of great art are produced during period of instability ,implying if a great work of art is produced the period must have been unstable one ,not that in all periods of instability you will get great work of art. Suppose all great artists decide not to produce any work during unstable times one will not have any work, but if they do produce it, the period in all probabilities is unstable.

Please press KUDOS if you like my post

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: It is an historical fact that only in conditions of profound [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2012, 04:13
Can we say like this?
They have mentioned about 96 A.D in question and in answer option A and B they are asking about first century of BC. Which is not related to each other..
So answer should be C..
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

Re: It is an historical fact that only in conditions of profound [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2012, 06:20
is this not a must be true question?
if you look at it like a must be true question, then answer looks like it is A
Re: It is an historical fact that only in conditions of profound   [#permalink] 25 Oct 2012, 06:20