Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 13:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

It is an historical fact that only in conditions of profound

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.9
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 16

It is an historical fact that only in conditions of profound [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 11:16
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

60% (02:31) correct 40% (01:05) wrong based on 100 sessions
It is an historical fact that only in conditions of profound societal instability are great works of literature produced. During the first century B.C., Rome experienced almost constant civil war accompanied by social upheaval. It wasn't until the ascension of Nerva to the throne in 96 A.D. that the situation stabilized. Throughout the second century A.D., Rome experienced a century of uninterrupted peace and stability.

If all of the statements in the passage are true, then which of the following must also be true?

a. During the first century B.C., great works of literature were produced in Rome.
b. Roman art of the first century B.C. was superior to Roman art of the second century A.D.
c. During the second century A.D., no great works of literature were produced in Rome.
d. Historically, great works of literature can stir emotions that find their expression in political action.
e. The first century A.D. was a time of decreased literary production in Rome.
Manager
Manager

Re: It is an historical fact that only in conditions of profound [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 11:18
I am confused between A and C. Can somebody help me out with this?? :roll:
10 KUDOS received
GMAT Instructor
Followers: 261

Kudos [?]: 710 [10] , given: 3

Re: It is an historical fact that only in conditions of profound [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 13:12
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
This question is about what are called necessary and sufficient conditions. We learn in the question that "great works of literature are *only* produced in unstable times". That is, "unstable times" are needed in order for great literature to be written. So if we don't have unstable times, we don't have great literature, and C is correct.

A is not correct. Nowhere does it say that "unstable times" *guarantee* that great literature will be produced. All we know is that without them, there is no chance of having any great literature. But with them, we might, or we might not. In technical terms, "unstable times" are a "necessary condition" for great literature, but are not a "sufficient condition" (they don't guarantee anything).

A much more obvious example of the same principle - suppose a question says:

The only way you can win the lottery is to buy a lottery ticket. If this statement is true, what must be true?
A. If you buy a lottery ticket, you will win the lottery.
B. ...
C. If you don't buy a lottery ticket, you won't win the lottery.

Clearly A is wrong, and C is correct - buying the ticket is necessary to win, but it guarantees nothing. This is just a simplified version of the question in your post (I've just replaced "during unstable times" with "buy a lottery ticket" and "great works of literature are produced" with "win the lottery").

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 4

Re: It is an historical fact that only in conditions of profound [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2012, 01:52
Correct explanation. it is a very good example of difference b/w necessary and sufficient conditions.

IanStewart wrote:
This question is about what are called necessary and sufficient conditions. We learn in the question that "great works of literature are *only* produced in unstable times". That is, "unstable times" are needed in order for great literature to be written. So if we don't have unstable times, we don't have great literature, and C is correct.

A is not correct. Nowhere does it say that "unstable times" *guarantee* that great literature will be produced. All we know is that without them, there is no chance of having any great literature. But with them, we might, or we might not. In technical terms, "unstable times" are a "necessary condition" for great literature, but are not a "sufficient condition" (they don't guarantee anything).

A much more obvious example of the same principle - suppose a question says:

The only way you can win the lottery is to buy a lottery ticket. If this statement is true, what must be true?
A. If you buy a lottery ticket, you will win the lottery.
B. ...
C. If you don't buy a lottery ticket, you won't win the lottery.

Clearly A is wrong, and C is correct - buying the ticket is necessary to win, but it guarantees nothing. This is just a simplified version of the question in your post (I've just replaced "during unstable times" with "buy a lottery ticket" and "great works of literature are produced" with "win the lottery").

Please give kudos if you like my reply!

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: It is an historical fact that only in conditions of profound [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2012, 03:43
It is an historical fact that only in conditions of profound societal instability are great works of literature produced. During the first century B.C., Rome experienced almost constant civil war accompanied by social upheaval. It wasn't until the ascension of Nerva to the throne in 96 A.D. that the situation stabilized. Throughout the second century A.D., Rome experienced a century of uninterrupted peace and stability.

If all of the statements in the passage are true, then which of the following must also be true?

a. During the first century B.C., great works of literature were produced in Rome. Not necessarily, the passage states that great works of literature are only produced in times of instability, that doesn't mean that each time of instability great works MUST be produced.
b. Roman art of the first century B.C. was superior to Roman art of the second century A.D. Nothing in the passage implies that, they might be both great since they were produced in a time of instability, but which one is superior?! no one knows.
c. During the second century A.D., no great works of literature were produced in Rome. Correct. The second century was a time of stability as mentioned in the passage, and since geat works of literature are ONLY produced in times of instability, no great works could have been produced in the second century
d. Historically, great works of literature can stir emotions that find their expression in political action.Out of scope
e. The first century A.D. was a time of decreased literary production in Rome.No evidence in the passage would support this.
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 68

Kudos [?]: 333 [1] , given: 109

Re: It is an historical fact that only in conditions of profound [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2012, 09:38
This post received
KUDOS
+1 C

The argument doesn't mention that ALWAYS there will be excelent literature when there is polytical inestability.
It just mentions that this literature only appear in those conditions.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4.6 years Exp IT prof
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 38

Re: It is an historical fact that only in conditions of profound [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2012, 11:34
Could you please share the source of this question and the OA

I will give a Fight till the End

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."
- Bernard Edmonds

A person who is afraid of Failure can never succeed -- Amneet Padda

Don't Forget to give the KUDOS

Manager
Manager

Re: It is an historical fact that only in conditions of profound [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2012, 12:35
selfAnnihilation wrote:
Could you please share the source of this question and the OA

Its from Veritas mock test.
@Ian- Thanks a lot man!! The explanation was great. :)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 1.4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 4

Re: It is an historical fact that only in conditions of profound [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2013, 11:11
is the structure like this???

sufficient condition---literature produced.
necessary condition--- societal instability.

literature produced------> societal instability
hence
societal stability---------->NO literature produced.

and this is said in option C only...

pls correct me if my understanding is wrong...
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 137

Kudos [?]: 1390 [0], given: 122

Re: It is an historical fact that only in conditions of profound [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2013, 12:02
mehulsayani wrote:

a. During the first century B.C., great works of literature were produced in Rome.
b. Roman art of the first century B.C. was superior to Roman art of the second century A.D.
c. During the second century A.D., no great works of literature were produced in Rome.
d. Historically, great works of literature can stir emotions that find their expression in political action.

IMO, C is correct.

First of all, this is MUST BE TRUE question, any option that maybe true is wrong.

ANALYZE THE PREMISE:
Only in conditions of profound societal instability are great works of literature produced
During the first century B.C., Rome experienced a societal instability
After the ascension of Nerva to the throne in 96 A.D, Rome experienced a societal stability

ANALYZE EACH OPTION:

Wrong. Very tempting but wrong. Great works were produced only in societal instability. This is necessary condition. "A happens only if B happens" does not mean "any time B happens, A must happen".

Wrong. Out of scope

Correct. This is MUST BE TRUE option. Logic:"A happens only if B happens" ==> if No B, A will not happen for sure.

Wrong. Out of scope

Wrong. Out of scope.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

SVP
SVP
Followers: 279

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: It is an historical fact that only in conditions of profound [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2014, 07:25
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: It is an historical fact that only in conditions of profound   [#permalink] 04 Jul 2014, 07:25