Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 15:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

It is better for the environment if as much of all packaging

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
It is better for the environment if as much of all packaging [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2007, 11:38
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
It is better for the environment if as much of all packaging as possible is made from materials that are biodegradable in landfills. Therefore, it is always a change for the worse to replace packaging made from paper or cardboard with packaging made from plastics that are not biodegradable in landfills.

Which of the following, if true, constitutes the strongest objection to the argument above?

A The paper and cardboard used in packaging are usually not biodegradable in landfills.
B Some plastic used in packaging is biodegradable in landfills.
C In many landfills, a significant proportion of space is taken up by materials other than discarded packaging materials.
D It is impossible to avoid entirely the use of packaging materials that are not biodegradable in landfills.
E Sometimes, in packaging an item, plastics that are not biodegradable in landfills are combined with cardboard.
Director
Director
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2007, 16:49
A

The choice is between A and B, as others are either out of scope or irrelvant.

B says taht some plastic used in packaging is biodegradable inf landfills, but question says that "with packaging made from plastics that are not biodegradable in landfills". Here it tells about the specific plastic.

A is the only correct choice.

Amar
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2007, 17:36
I agree on A
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2007, 21:49
A as well.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-environment [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2007, 07:54
vscid wrote:
It is better for the environment if as much of all packaging as possible is made from materials that are biodegradable in landfills. Therefore, it is always a change for the worse to replace packaging made from paper or cardboard with packaging made from plastics that are not biodegradable in landfills.

Which of the following, if true, constitutes the strongest objection to the argument above?

A The paper and cardboard used in packaging are usually not biodegradable in landfills.
B Some plastic used in packaging is biodegradable in landfills.
C In many landfills, a significant proportion of space is taken up by materials other than discarded packaging materials.
D It is impossible to avoid entirely the use of packaging materials that are not biodegradable in landfills.
E Sometimes, in packaging an item, plastics that are not biodegradable in landfills are combined with cardboard.

def A. If cardboard and paper dont biodegrade then the argument is weakened.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2007, 09:32
guys, i really think it's E. it says that "it is ALWAYS a change for the worst" when replacing paper and cardboard with the nonbiodegradable plastic. As it says in E, if sometimes the nonbiodegradable plastic is combined with cardboard, then you haven't changed anything in terms of getting worst, right? I think A is not complete. even if it is true about the cardboard, how can you justify the switching is for the worst when there isn't any comment about plastic? What I like about E, it actually connected the 2 products. that's what i think at least.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2007, 17:43
tarek99 wrote:
guys, i really think it's E. it says that "it is ALWAYS a change for the worst" when replacing paper and cardboard with the nonbiodegradable plastic. As it says in E, if sometimes the nonbiodegradable plastic is combined with cardboard, then you haven't changed anything in terms of getting worst, right? I think A is not complete. even if it is true about the cardboard, how can you justify the switching is for the worst when there isn't any comment about plastic? What I like about E, it actually connected the 2 products. that's what i think at least.

It is actually A.
Sorry Tarek.
Re   [#permalink] 26 Nov 2007, 17:43