Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 00:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

It is generally believed that an Indian tribe known as “The

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 07-25-2013
GPA: 3.83
WE: Architecture (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 99

It is generally believed that an Indian tribe known as “The [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2013, 20:07
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

53% (02:19) correct 47% (01:25) wrong based on 174 sessions
It is generally believed that an Indian tribe known as “The Red Paint People” first occupied the coast of Maine in approximately 3000 B.C. This name was given to the Indians because their graves contained quantities of a red pigment (iron ochre) that they presumably used to decorate their faces and bodies. However, recently discovered Indian grave sites on the coast of Maine that contain these same red pigments have been conclusively dated to 4000 B.C. Therefore, the “Red Paint People” must have occupied the coast of Maine much earlier than archaeologists previously believed.

In the argument above, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

The first is a commonly held belief that the argument seeks to refute; the second is evidence used in that refutation.

The first is a generalization that the argument accepts as true; the second is the main conclusion of the argument.

The first is evidence used to support a conclusion that the argument opposes; the second is the main conclusion of the argument.

The first is a conclusion that is generally accepted as true; the second is a conclusion that refutes it.

The first is an intermediate conclusion that is generally accepted as true; the second is the main conclusion of the argument.

OA after some good discussion
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything

Last edited by skamal7 on 02 Jul 2013, 22:20, edited 4 times in total.
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 127

Kudos [?]: 598 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: It is generally believed that an Indian tribe known as “The [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2013, 20:24
Expert's post
skamal7 wrote:
It is generally believed that an Indian tribe known as “The Red Paint People” first occupied the coast of Maine in approximately 3000 B.C. This name was given to the Indians because their graves contained quantities of a red pigment (iron ochre) that they presumably used to decorate their faces and bodies. However, recently discovered Indian grave sites on the coast of Maine that contain these same red pigments have been conclusively dated to 4000 B.C. Therefore, the “Red Paint People” must have occupied the coast of Maine much earlier than archaeologists previously believed.

In the argument above, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

The first is a commonly held belief that the argument seeks to refute; the second is evidence used in that refutation.

The first is a generalization that the argument accepts as true; the second is the main conclusion of the argument.

The first is evidence used to support a conclusion that the argument opposes; the second is the main conclusion of the argument.

The first is a conclusion that is generally accepted as true; the second is a conclusion that refutes it.

The first is an intermediate conclusion that is generally accepted as true; the second is the main conclusion of the argument.

Where is the second boldface kamal?

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: It is generally believed that an Indian tribe known as “The [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2013, 21:04
My evil i missed it and now i have edited the question..Give a shot at this question and a warm welcome for you marcab to come back to forum again!!

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: It is generally believed that an Indian tribe known as “The [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2013, 21:20
Please explain why the wrong answer choices are wrong and correct answer is correct!!

VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1132 [0], given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: It is generally believed that an Indian tribe known as “The [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2013, 22:02

The second is not evidence: it's a conclusion: "therefore ...."

The first is not accepted by the argument, it refuses it.

The first is simply not evidence.

IMO CORRECT

The first is not "an intermediate conclusion", it' s a conclusion period. E says that there are two conclusions of the argument, but this is not true as the argument has only one conclusion, so the is no such thing as an intermediate and main conclusion.

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 364 [1] , given: 241

Re: It is generally believed that an Indian tribe known as “The [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2013, 22:05
This post received
KUDOS

First part is correct but the 2nd bold is not an evidence but the conclusion. Incorrect

First part is a belief and it does not generalizes any thing. 2nd part is correct. Incorrect

1st BF is not a evidence, its just a statement or common belief. Incorrect

Not absolutely correct but the best among the rest. CORRECT

First bold face is not an intermediate conclusion. 2nd BF is correct

If you like my Question/Explanation or the contribution, Kindly appreciate by pressing KUDOS.
Kudos always maximizes GMATCLUB worth
-Game Theory

If you have any question regarding my post, kindly pm me or else I won't be able to reply

4 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 117

Kudos [?]: 1185 [4] , given: 118

Premium Member
Re: It is generally believed that an Indian tribe known as “The [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2013, 22:06
This post received
KUDOS
The structure of the argument is:

ANALYZE THE STIMULUS:

It is generally believed that X
However, ………..
Therefore, X is not as correct as it is believed.

==> Clearly, the first is a conclusion that the second (also a conclusion) tries to refute.

Note: in real GMAT questions, when you see quotes like:
- It is generally believed that…..
- Although scientist/people believe that……….
- Some of my critics claim that……..

You will expect to see the opposite conclusion.

ANALYZE EACH ANSWER:

A) The first is a commonly held belief that the argument seeks to refute; the second is evidence used in that refutation.
Wrong. Because it starts with “therefore”, the second part is a conclusion, not evidence.

B) The first is a generalization that the argument accepts as true; the second is the main conclusion of the argument.
Wrong. SHELL GAME. The first is a generalization that archeaologists believed to be true, not the argument accepts as true. The argument actually refutes the archeaologists’ belief.

C) The first is evidence used to support a conclusion that the argument opposes; the second is the main conclusion of the argument.
Wrong. The first is not an evidence, it’s a conclusion because it starts with “it is generally believed that….”.

D) The first is a conclusion that is generally accepted as true; the second is a conclusion that refutes it.
IMO, Correct. The first is a conclusion that the second tries to refute. The second is the main conclusion of the argument.

E) The first is an intermediate conclusion that is generally accepted as true; the second is the main conclusion of the argument.
Wrong. If the first is an intermediate conclusion, the second is main conclusion. Logically, the first should support the second, but it does not.

Waiting for OA.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: It is generally believed that an Indian tribe known as “The [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2013, 22:08
zarollu,
Can you explaib what is the difference between intermediate conclusion and conclusion of argument.
Even option D mentions there are two conclusions right?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: It is generally believed that an Indian tribe known as “The [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2013, 22:13
pqhai,
Is it so that intermediate conclusion should always support the main conclusion of argument or else it will be a counter premise right?

I have seen you posting many good structures or patterns to attack the CR questions..When you get time please try to post all those tips in a post it will be of great help to people like us

Last edited by skamal7 on 02 Jul 2013, 22:15, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1132 [1] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: It is generally believed that an Indian tribe known as “The [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2013, 22:13
This post received
KUDOS
skamal7 wrote:
zarollu,
Can you explaib what is the difference between intermediate conclusion and conclusion of argument.
Even option D mentions there are two conclusions right?

Yes, that's correct.

But if I say that the first part is an intermediate conclusion and the second is the main, the argument should look like this:

"Some evidence"
1st conclusion (intermediate) commonly accepted supported by the above evidence.
"some other evidence"
2nd conclusion of the overall passage.

Since the first one is not an intermediate conclusion, but it's a conclusion period, my answer is D.

Hope it's clear

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 117

Kudos [?]: 1185 [0], given: 118

Premium Member
Re: It is generally believed that an Indian tribe known as “The [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2013, 22:31
skamal7 wrote:
pqhai,
Is it so that intermediate conclusion should always support the main conclusion of argument or else it will be a counter premise right?

I have seen you posting many good structures or patterns to attack the CR questions..When you get time please try to post all those tips in a post it will be of great help to people like us

Hi skaml7

Thanks for kind words, I appreciate.

Regarding "intermediate conclusion", it is not always counter the main conclusion. It can support the main conclusion also. In real GMAT, there are two types of argument structures
(1) Premises ==> Conclusion
(2) Premises ==> Intermediate conclusion ==> Main conclusion.

You will expect to see the type (2) in advanced questions.

Your questions:
- How do I determine the intermediate conclusion?
- Does it support / refute the main conclusion?

Answers are:
- How do I determine the intermediate conclusion?
Actually, the best way to determine the intermediate conclusion is to determine the main conclusion correctly. It seems ridiculous, but it's true. The main conclusion is KEY.

- Does it support / refute the main conclusion?
You can use techniques such as:
* Structure of the argument: If you don't see words such as: although, however, yet, but, nonetheless,....==> You may expect the intermediate conclusion supports the main conclusion.
* Use signal words (therefore, it's generally believed that, however, ......) to determine premise/conclusions.

Hope it helps you.

Regards.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 127

Kudos [?]: 598 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: It is generally believed that an Indian tribe known as “The [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2013, 01:42
Expert's post
skamal7 wrote:

Whenever I see a BF question, I analyze the purpose of the BOLD statements. Once I do that, I almost nail it.
Here the two bold statements are:
1)It is generally believed that an Indian tribe known as “The Red Paint People” first occupied the coast of Maine in approximately 3000 B.C.
2)Therefore, the “Red Paint People” must have occupied the coast of Maine much earlier than archaeologists previously believed.

Now consider the entire stimulus.
The first BF is something sort of common belief, followed by a fact irrelevant to the purpose.
Then a counter idea has been introduced, explicitly made clear by the usage of "however". Based upon this idea, a conclusion has been punched. This is our second BF. This second BF refutes the first BF.

Now analyze the answer choices.
a) first part is fine, but second is not. 2nd BF is not an evidence.
b) first is not a generalization.
c) first is not an evidence,
d) bingo
e) I feel that both the conclusions are balanced, henceforth can't make one conclusion as intermediate and the other as rest. The thing happening here is that the second conclusion is refuting the first conclusion.

Regards,

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 291

Re: It is generally believed that an Indian tribe known as “The [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2013, 04:10
Alright now most of you rejected A because according to you, the second bold face is not a conclusion. Now, my question is how do you decide if the first bold face is a conclusion. I do not see any conclusion indicators. To me, it merely seems like a claim (it is generally believed.)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Human Resources, International Business
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GPA: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 43

Re: It is generally believed that an Indian tribe known as “The [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2013, 07:17
mohnish104 wrote:
Alright now most of you rejected A because according to you, the second bold face is not a conclusion. Now, my question is how do you decide if the first bold face is a conclusion. I do not see any conclusion indicators. To me, it merely seems like a claim (it is generally believed.)

Dear mohnish104,

I did it by POE.

A. The first is a commonly held belief that the argument seeks to refute; the second is evidence used in that refutation. Incorrect. The second is a conclusion and not an evidence as it uses 'therefore' so A is ruled out.

B. The first is a generalization that the argument accepts as true; the second is the main conclusion of the argument. Incorrect. Here the catch is that this option says that first says 'argument accepts as true' whereas the argument rejects it. The author has just stated a commonly held belief. So B is also ruled out.

C. The first is evidence used to support a conclusion that the argument opposes; the second is the main conclusion of the argument. Incorrect. The first is definitely not an 'evidence'. So C is ruled out as well.

D. The first is a conclusion that is generally accepted as true; the second is a conclusion that refutes it. Correct. Makes most sense.

E. The first is an intermediate conclusion that is generally accepted as true; the second is the main conclusion of the argument. Incorrect. First is not an intermediate conclusion because it is not preceded by any premise. E is ruled out as well.

POE has its own risks, but in questions like these where I can really identify why an option is correct, I do it by POE.

Hope it helps! Kudos if you like ;)

Good luck!!
Re: It is generally believed that an Indian tribe known as “The   [#permalink] 17 Oct 2013, 07:17