Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 20:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

It is illegal to advertise prescription medications in

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 183 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
It is illegal to advertise prescription medications in [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2007, 00:04
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

63% (02:30) correct 38% (01:15) wrong based on 61 sessions
It is illegal to advertise prescription medications in Hedland except directly to physicians, either by mail or in medical journals. A proposed law would allow general advertising of prescription medications. Opponents object that the general population lacks the specialized knowledge to evaluate such advertisements and might ask their physicians for inappropriate medications. But since physicians have the final say as to whether to prescribe a medication for a patient, inappropriate prescriptions would not become more common.

Which of the following would it be most useful to establish in order to evaluate the argument?

A. Wheter advertising for prescription medications might alert patients to the existence of effective treatments for minor ailments that they had previously thought to be untreatable

B. Whether some people might go to a physcian for no reason other than ask for a particular medication they have seen advertised

C. Whether the proposed law requires prescription-medication advertisements directed to the general public to provide the same information as do advertisements directed to physicians.

D. Whether advertisements for prescription medications are currently an important source of information about newly available medications for physicians

E. Whether physicians would give in to a patient's demands for a prescription medication chosen by the patient when the one originally prescribed by the physician fails to perform as desired.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2007, 00:48
I say E.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2007, 10:03
excelgmat wrote:
I say E.

E seems to be a bit out of scope but it's the only answer that makes sense (to me)

OA?
VP
VP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMATPrep CR2 [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2007, 11:03
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
It is illegal to advertise prescription medications in Hedland except directly to physicians, either by mail or in medical journals. A proposed law would allow general advertising of prescription medications. Opponents object that the general population lacks the specialized knowledge to evaluate such advertisements and might ask their physicians for inappropriate medications. But since physicians have the final say as to whether to prescribe a medication for a patient, inappropriate prescriptions would not become more common.

Which of the following would it be most useful to establish in order to evaluate the argument?

A. Wheter advertising for prescription medications might alert patients to the existence of effective treatments for minor ailments that they had previously thought to be untreatable

B. Whether some people might go to a physcian for no reason other than ask for a particular medication they have seen advertised

C. Whether the proposed law requires prescription-medication advertisements directed to the general public to provide the same information as do advertisements directed to physicians.

D. Whether advertisements for prescription medications are currently an important source of information about newly available medications for physicians

E. Whether physicians would give in to a patient's demands for a prescription medication chosen by the patient when the one originally prescribed by the physician fails to perform as desired.

E for me.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2007, 11:05
I think it's E!!!
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2007, 11:19
OA is E. I said D b/c E seemed outta scope.
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 221 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMATPrep CR2 [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2010, 10:04
E by POE, but Im not fully convinced.
Could anybody elaborate?

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMATPrep CR2 [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2010, 17:11
are you sure OA is E?

IMO C
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Schools: Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMATPrep CR2 [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2010, 18:42
Why is it E... What is wrong with B? I don't get these CR... I mean B says that people might show up at doc for no reason, but E at lease says the prior med failed!

Posted from my mobile device Image

Consider kudos, they are good for health

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 6

Re: GMATPrep CR2 [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2010, 09:17
All others except E are out of scope.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMATPrep CR2 [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 04:51
E looks good for me
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 7

Re: GMATPrep CR2 [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 08:05
by POE I go for E
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Re: GMATPrep CR2 [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2011, 23:58
I do get that E is the one that fits more closely. However, one must realize that E does talk about Physicians giving in to the demands of the patient ONLY after their first choice of medication failed and not genearelly.
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [3] , given: 0

Re: GMATPrep CR2 [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2011, 00:35
This post received
KUDOS
Conclusion of the argument: inappropriate prescriptions would not become more common.
Main premise: But since physicians have the final say as to whether to prescribe a medication for a patient

For Evaluate the argument question, we should look for the answer choice with a question that:
- If we answer Yes to that question, the conclusion will be more/less likely to be true.
- If we answer No to that question, the conclusion will be less/more likely to be true.
Use this method to check the option E.

"Whether physicians would give in to a patient's demands for a prescription medication chosen by the patient when the one originally prescribed by the physician fails to perform as desired."
E contains a question: "Would physicians give in....?"
- If yes : the physicians give in --> the conclusion will be less likely to be true/ be weakened a little bit.
- If no: the physicians would not give in --> the conclusion will be more likely to be true/ be strengthened a little bit.
The validity of the conclusion changes when we get different answers to the question --> That is the question we need to evaluate the argument. --> E is the answer.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: GMATPrep CR2 [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2011, 01:47
E for me
Intern
Intern

Re: GMATPrep CR2 [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2011, 05:56
cheryl3007 wrote:
Conclusion of the argument: inappropriate prescriptions would not become more common.
Main premise: But since physicians have the final say as to whether to prescribe a medication for a patient

For Evaluate the argument question, we should look for the answer choice with a question that:
- If we answer Yes to that question, the conclusion will be more/less likely to be true.
- If we answer No to that question, the conclusion will be less/more likely to be true.
Use this method to check the option E.

"Whether physicians would give in to a patient's demands for a prescription medication chosen by the patient when the one originally prescribed by the physician fails to perform as desired."
E contains a question: "Would physicians give in....?"
- If yes : the physicians give in --> the conclusion will be less likely to be true/ be weakened a little bit.
- If no: the physicians would not give in --> the conclusion will be more likely to be true/ be strengthened a little bit.
The validity of the conclusion changes when we get different answers to the question --> That is the question we need to evaluate the argument. --> E is the answer.

I do get that , however note "when the one originally prescribed by the physician fails to perform as desired"
Manager
Manager
Schools: University of Economics Prague

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 15

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: GMATPrep CR2 [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2011, 06:18
E

You want somethin', go get it. Period!

Intern
Intern

Re: GMATPrep CR2 [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2011, 03:44
I think the answer is C

Conclusion :Because of the advertising general people might go the physician and end up asking for inappropriate medicine

If, the physician and the public both end up with different information about the medicines, there is good chance that public might end up with inappropriate medicine

What do you guys think?
VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMATPrep CR2 [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2011, 17:56
clear E here,if physicians bend for the demands then the purpose will loose out.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 41

Re: GMATPrep CR2 [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2011, 11:22
E for me too. According to the stem, the only way the advertized medicine can be used is by physicians' prescription. Only E gives a scenario when that possibility could occur.

If you like my post, consider giving me Kudos !!

Re: GMATPrep CR2   [#permalink] 20 Jun 2011, 11:22