Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 19:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

It is illogical to infer a second and different effect from

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Columbia, INSEAD, RSM, LBS
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [1] , given: 4

It is illogical to infer a second and different effect from [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2009, 08:50
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

47% (03:43) correct 53% (01:46) wrong based on 22 sessions
It is illogical to infer a second and different effect from a cause which is known only by one particular effect. This is incorrect because the inferred effect must necessarily be produced by some different characteristic of the cause than is the observed effect, which already serves entirely to describe the cause.

Which one of the following arguments makes the same logical error as the one described by the author in the passage?

(A) An anonymous donor gave a thousand dollars to our historical society. I would guess that that individual also volunteers at the children’s hospital.

(B) The radioactive material caused a genetic mutation, which, in turn, caused the birth defect. Therefore, the radioactive material caused the birth defect.

(C) The tiny, unseen atom is the source of immense power. It must be its highly complex structure that produces this power.

(D) The city orchestra received more funds from the local government this year than ever before. Clearly this administration is more civic-minded than previous ones.

(E) If I heat water, which is a liquid, it evaporates. If I heat hundreds of other liquids like water, they evaporate. Therefore, if I heat any liquid like water, it will evaporate.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Similar Reasoning Tough One [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2009, 15:34
B IMO
Intern
Intern
Schools: HEC,Paris

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Similar Reasoning Tough One [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2009, 23:48
this is a tough one.
i would go with D, because i dont see any particular inferred effect in the rest of the choices. however it is not clear in D as well... but it looks to be the best choice.

what is the correct answer?
please post the OA, with explanation.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Columbia, INSEAD, RSM, LBS

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 4

Re: CR - Similar Reasoning Tough One [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2009, 07:50
OA is E
Intern
Intern
Schools: HEC,Paris

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Similar Reasoning Tough One [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2009, 10:59
IEsailor wrote:
OA is E

could you post the reasoning please?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: CR - Similar Reasoning Tough One [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2009, 16:25
are GMAT 700 question this hard ???
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 60

Re: CR - Similar Reasoning Tough One [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2009, 23:49
IEsailor, what is the source? and please, post OE.
I found completely different answer (A) here
http://www.urch.com/forums/gmat-critica ... nings.html

Never, never, never give up

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 6

Re: CR - Similar Reasoning Tough One [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2009, 01:14
Yeah I too think the answer should be A.
The argument can be understood to say the following:
1. There is an effect A and an effect B
2. Cause A is known to produce effect A
3. So it is illogical that Cause A can also produce effect B. Only a slightly different characteristic of cause A can produce effect B

Since A is the only option where I found two effects and one cause, I think the answer should be A.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 3

Re: CR - Similar Reasoning Tough One [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2009, 03:00
IEsailor,pls post the explanation also..........
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 5

Re: CR - Similar Reasoning Tough One [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2009, 08:53
Tough question .. we need 1 cause showing 2 effects due to 2 different characteristics. I initially chose C but it has 2 causes (atom being tiny and atom being complex) and 1 effect (immensely powerful).

Closer look at A shows the flawed reasoning .. cause could be the fact that the individual is a good/charitable person; effect 1 is him donating money to historical society and effect 2 is him volunteering at a childrens hospital. They demonstrate different characteristics of his charitable personality - money for the 1st and time for the second.

Thats how i think of the answer anyway. If someone has a better or official explanation, please share!
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton, Kellogg, Duke (Health care management)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 3

Re: CR - Similar Reasoning Tough One [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2009, 15:03
I got E. I looked at the problem like this:
The flawed logic is that there is one cause and it results in only one effect and nothing else. Since the questions says the stimulus is a flawed logic, it is possible that cause produces other effects also.
In E, the liquid is expected to evaporate, but it can go into other states (say solidify). so there is possibility of other effects than what the option states.
A speaks only of one possibility. It doesn't rule out other possibilities (guess is the key) like the stimulus does.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: PMP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 101 [1] , given: 37

Re: CR - Similar Reasoning Tough One [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2009, 15:24
This post received
KUDOS
It is illogical to infer a second and different effect from a cause which is known only by one particular effect. This is incorrect because the inferred effect must necessarily be produced by some different characteristic of the cause than is the observed effect, which already serves entirely to describe the cause.

Which one of the following arguments makes the same logical error as the one described by the author in the passage?

(A) An anonymous donor gave a thousand dollars to our historical society. I would guess that that individual also volunteers at the children’s hospital.
(E) If I heat water, which is a liquid, it evaporates. If I heat hundreds of other liquids like water, they evaporate. Therefore, if I heat any liquid like water, it will evaporate.

re writing the question: 1 cause 1 effect, 2nd effect not possible. this is incorrect, 2nd effect is from diff. characteristic than the effect-1

A) anonymous donor is helps the needful-cause, effect-1 is gave 10K dollars, effect 2-is volunteering at children hospital

E) 2 causes and 1 effect
Ans A.

Thanks, Sri
-------------------------------
keep uppp...ing the tempo...

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: South Asian B-schools

Kudos [?]: 62 [1] , given: 37

Re: CR - Similar Reasoning Tough One [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2009, 11:47
This post received
KUDOS
S_O_S
Some one plz help & take it forward ( i have given my understanding but no ans :( )

basic cause >> characteristic 1 >> ( effect 1: observed )
basic cause >> characteristic 2 >> ( effect 2 : inferred )

It is illogical to infer a second and different effect (effect 2 : inferred) from a cause which is known only by one particular effect (effect 1: observed).[ cause is known by observed effect 1...author claims that it is illogical to infer effect 2...hence effect 2 cannot happen ]
This is incorrect (means negate above underlined statement.....effect 2 can happen) because the inferred effect (effect 2 : inferred) must necessarily be produced by some different characteristic (characteristic 2) of the cause ( basic cause) than is the observed effect ( effect 1: observed ), which already serves entirely to describe the cause ( means...observed effect 1 already serves entirely to describe the basic cause)

So in short

it is not only effect 1 but effect 2 is also possible from cause, because characteristic 2 exists.

observed effect 1 : anonymous donor gave a thousand dollars to our historical society
inferred effect 2 : individual also volunteers at the children’s hospital ( refer I would guess..hence inferred effect)....but no mention of characteristic..:(

(B) The radioactive material caused a genetic mutation, which, in turn, caused the birth defect. Therefore, the radioactive material caused the birth defect.
observed effect 1 : birth defect because of >> characteristic 1 : The radioactive material leading genetic mutation
inferred effect 2 (refer therefore) : birth defect because of >> characteristic 1 : The radioactive material leading genetic mutation
this is circular reasoning...our reasoning is not circular hence dropped :(

(C) The tiny, unseen atom is the source of immense power. It must be its highly complex structure that produces this power.
observed effect 1: immense power because of characteristic 1 : tiny atom
inferred effect 2 ( refer...It must be) : complex structure that produces this power

(D) The city orchestra received more funds from the local government this year than ever before. Clearly this administration is more civic-minded than previous ones.
observed effect 1: The city orchestra received more funds
inferred effect 2 (refer ...Clearly) : this administration is more civic-minded

observed effect 1 : [heat liquid water > it evaporates] & [heat other 100 liquids like water > they also evaporate]
inferred effect 2 (refer...Therefore): I heat any liquid like water, it will evaporate

AM i right ? heavy weights plz jump in to help....

Bhushan S.
If you like my post....Consider it for Kudos :-D

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 10

Re: CR - Similar Reasoning Tough One [#permalink] New post 15 May 2011, 06:33
clean A.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Statistics, International Business
Schools: Fuqua, ISB '15
GMAT Date: 12-02-2013
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 39

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: It is illogical to infer a second and different effect from [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2013, 11:16
Expert's post
New Gmat club project
Click here

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT Date: 12-10-2013
GPA: 3.5
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 15

Re: It is illogical to infer a second and different effect from [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2013, 09:21
E , but took me 3 min to get it.

It says ==== C1 --causes--> E1 only and to infer that C1 ----causes--> E2 is illogical
Author says = C1--through characteristic 1--causes--> E1 and C1-- through characteristic 2 causes--> E2.
Now we have to find out which one makes the same error, as C1 can cause only one effect and does not consider the characteristic of c1.[/color]
(A) An anonymous donor gave a thousand dollars to our historical society. I would guess that that individual also volunteers at the children’s hospital. -- two characteristic of same donor.
(B) The radioactive material caused a genetic mutation, which, in turn, caused the birth defect. Therefore, the radioactive material caused the birth defect. - This is irrelevant- it shows circular reasoning
(C) The tiny, unseen atom is the source of immense power. It must be its highly complex structure that produces this power. it tells what is the characteristic of atom behind producing immense power
(D) The city orchestra received more funds from the local government this year than ever before. Clearly this administration is more civic-minded than previous ones. its reason is similar to C, it tells a characteristic of city administration
(E) If I heat water, which is a liquid, it evaporates. If I heat hundreds of other liquids like water, they evaporate. Therefore, if I heat any liquid like water, it will evaporate. - It says heating a liquid causes evaporation. it concludes that if any liquid like water will be heated, it will evaporate. it ignore the characteristic of liquid substance, and assumes no other effect will take place.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 291

Re: It is illogical to infer a second and different effect from [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2013, 02:35
we are looking for flawed reasoning over here. E is clearly flawed while there is a chance B might be true.
Re: It is illogical to infer a second and different effect from   [#permalink] 23 Nov 2013, 02:35