Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:53 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [10]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1492 [7]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V28
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 549 [2]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 590 Q28 V38
GPA: 2.54
WE:Accounting (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Re: It is known that no more than 7 children will be attending a party. Wh [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
I just took a simpler route.

Because there are no more than 7 children # of cookies has to be divisible by 7.

Question does not tell us how many children are going to show up it has to be divisible by 6 as well. And 5....1.
So what I did was take 6*7=42 and the answer has to be divisible by 5, 4, 3 ,2 1 there is only one answer choice that satisfies these constraints which is 420

So
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: Sloan '16
Send PM
Re: It is known that no more than 7 children will be attending a party. Wh [#permalink]
I also took the simpler route. Found the answer that was divisible by 1 thru 7.

Question: Why did you multiply 6*7? Did you look for an answer that was also divisible by 42?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
I agree with the last 2 responses in terms of how to attack the problem. Do not get caught up with the story of the problem. This type of problem is shown in the OG problem solving book with several variations. It all comes down to answering what number is divisible by the constraint (in this case the numbers 1 through 7).
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [1]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
It is known that no more than 7 children will be attending a party. Wh [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
It is known that no more than 7 children will be attending a party. What is the smallest number of cookies that must be brought to the party so that each child receives the same number of cookies?

A. 35
B. 105
C. 180
D. 210
E. 420

No more than 7 children attending the party means the number of children could be 1,2,3,4,5,6,7.

We need to find a number that is divisible by each of these. Out of the choices given only 420 is divisible by each of these numbers.

Hence , answer is E.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [2]
Given Kudos: 143
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Leadership
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GPA: 4
WE:Project Management (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
The question states that there are no more than 7 children in the party. Thus, the possibility is that there could be 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 or 7 children.
Cookies are to be equally divided among the children attending party.
Thus, the question asks for a number of cookies which can be distributed to any number of children (from 1 to 7).

And therefore the smallest number of cookies would be lcm of (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7), i.e., 420.

Answer (E)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hit Kudos if this helped!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3964 [0]
Given Kudos: 160
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
iNumbv wrote:
It is known that no more than 7 children will be attending a party. What is the smallest number of cookies that must be brought to the party so that each child receives the same number of cookies?

A. 35
B. 105
C. 180
D. 210
E. 420

Show SpoilerMY DOUBT
** Can someone please explain to me the intuition behind this answer? I figure it's a very straightforward answer, but what I don't understand is assuming the maximum number of children attend the party which is 7 and among the answers 35 looks to suffice as each child will receive 5 cookies, which makes it the smallest number among the answers. I'm a bit confused can someone point me to the right direction, Thanks. **

Show SpoilerSOLUTION

Since the number of cookies must be divisible by 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7, let's find the least common multiple of the integers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7. Every integer is divisible by 1. Let's find the prime factorizations of 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7.

So we want to find the least common multiple of these integers, which we will write in a column.

The largest number of times the prime factor 2 appears in any of these integers is 2, in . The largest number of times the prime factor 3 appears in any of these integers is 1. Similarly, the largest number of times the prime factors 5 appears in any of these integers is 1, and the largest number of times the prime factors 7 appears in any of these integers is 1.

So the least common multiple of the first 7 positive integers must contain 2 prime factors of 2, 1 prime factor of 3, 1 prime factor of 5, and 1 prime factor of 7.

The least common multiple of the first 7 positive integers is 2 × 2 × 3 × 5 × 7 = 420.

The smallest number of cookies that must be brought to the party is 420, choice (E).

Given: It is known that no more than 7 children will be attending a party.
Asked: What is the smallest number of cookies that must be brought to the party so that each child receives the same number of cookies?

Prime factorisation of 1,2,3,4,5,6,7
1 = 1
2 = 2
3 = 3
4= 2^2
5 = 5
6 = 2*3
7 = 7
Since we don't know the exact number of children attending the party, we have to bring number of cookies which will be equally divided irrespective of number of children attending the party. Number of children = {1,2,3,4,5,6,7}

2^2*3*5*7 = 420

Now the cookies can be divided equally among children irrespective of number of children attending the party.

IMO E
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92901 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts