Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 19:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

It is often thought that our own modern age is unique in

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
7 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 91 [7] , given: 46

It is often thought that our own modern age is unique in [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2012, 11:45
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

63% (02:28) correct 37% (01:40) wrong based on 175 sessions
It is often thought that our own modern age is unique in having a large number of people who live into old age. It has frequently been assumed that plagues, wars, and harsh working conditions killed off most people in previous ages before they could reach old age. However, recent research shows that in 17th century Europe, for example, people over sixty comprised 10 percent of the population. The studies also revealed that although infant mortality remained high until the 20th century in Europe, people who survived to adulthood could expect to live to be old.

The portions in boldface play which of the following roles in the argument above?

A. The first is a conclusion that the author supports. The second is data that contradicts that conclusion.
B. The first is a finding that the author contests. The second is a finding that the author accepts.
C. The first is an assumption that the author thinks is invalid. The second is data that validates that assumption.
D. The first is a position that the author opposes. The second is a finding that supports the author’s position.
E. The first is a position that the author opposes. The second is an assumption which, if valid, negates the author’s view.

Need explanation..........
If anyone find this post helpful plz give me+1 kudos
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 5

Re: It is often thought that [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2012, 12:11
This post received
KUDOS
mun23 wrote:
It is often thought that our own modern age is unique in having a large number of people who live into old age. It has frequently been assumed that plagues, wars, and harsh working conditions killed off most people in previous ages before they could reach old age. However, recent research shows that in 17th century Europe, for example, people over sixty comprised 10 percent of the population. The studies also revealed that although infant mortality remained high until the 20th century in Europe, people who survived to adulthood could expect to live to be old.

The portions in boldface play which of the following roles in the argument above?

A. The first is a conclusion that the author supports. The second is data that contradicts that conclusion.
B. The first is a finding that the author contests. The second is a finding that the author accepts.
C. The first is an assumption that the author thinks is invalid. The second is data that validates that assumption.
D. The first is a position that the author opposes. The second is a finding that supports the author’s position.
E. The first is a position that the author opposes. The second is an assumption which, if valid, negates the author’s view.

Need explanation..........
If anyone find this post helpful plz give me+1 kudos

"our own modern age is unique in having a large number of people who live into old age" is an assumption/position. The last two sentences of the argument provide information counter to this position so you know the author opposes it (use of "However"). A can be eliminated since it states "author supports" the first bold.

The argument also did not present the first bold as a "finding", but presents it as a thought and counters it. B can be eliminated

" in 17th century Europe, for example, people over sixty comprised 10 percent of the population" is counter to the first bold. The first says the "modern age" would be the only ("it is unique") age to have people live into old age. If 10% of the population in 17th Century Europe lives into their 60's, then living into old age is not unique to the modern age. Therefore, the second bold counters the first bold and supports the author's position.

C can be eliminated - The second bold does not validate the first bold; it does the opposite.
E can be eliminated - The second assumption does not counter the author's view; it supports the author's views.

D Correct
VP
VP
Followers: 204

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: It is often thought that our own modern age is unique in [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2014, 01:25
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: It is often thought that our own modern age is unique in   [#permalink] 13 Jul 2014, 01:25