Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 14:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

It is over! 720 (Q 51 V 35) - Long way from 510 to 720!!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

It is over! 720 (Q 51 V 35) - Long way from 510 to 720!!! [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2003, 00:07
I am not very happy, but I am relieved :yes

I am a little bit disappointed with my low verbal score (only 35) - usually I got about 39-41 when practiced at home.

For those who interested in my previous experience - please refer to post http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2205

About the test:

Quant was AWFULL!!! I do not want to horrify those who are trying to improve their quant score, but my situation is a way to different. I am proffessional mathematician (I even got DIPLOMA to prove that :-D ) and since GMAT tests only very basic math concepts I feel PAIN when I am answering question without 100% assurance that I am right. I have to do so (applied GUT FEELING - if you understand what I mean) answering 7 or 8 questions this time. I was almost sure that I will not cross 49 in quant section - I was shocked when I saw Q 51 :shock:
Either they were experimental questions or my GUT FEELING very good.
So much for that!

Verbal Verbal was not so bad as I expected. I expected long and convoluted SC, vague CR and lenghthy RC.
SCs indeed were long and convoluted but not unapproachable. (At the end of the section they became shorther)
CR were OK, but I've spent too much time reading stimulus and too less time choosing right answer - I almost sure that if I had had more time invested in picking right answer, I would have certainly done better than 35 in verbal.
RC were surprisingly short (except for the last one), but hard. I've spent too much time trying to comprehend them. Questions were managable if you understood info in the text (quite strightforward questions)

I do not feel enough qualified to advise you guys in how to improve verbal score, since I score only measerable 35. But I can tell what worked for me.

I've done OG (2 times), Kaplan 2003, Kaplan Verbal Workout, SC in Kaplan 800, PR, PR Verbal Workout (40% of that), all ETS's PBT.
When I've done all these - my biggest problem was the speed of perception of verbal information. What REALLY helped me - READING A LOT!!! I've read "Great Gatsby", Asimov's books, Pere Le Mure, Economist (paper as well as on-line edition) and various articles in internet.

So much for the verbal section.

So much for the GMAT (maybe I'll take it again - to cross longed-for 750 (to cross V 40 at the end), but I am not obsessed with GMAT anymore)

I'am targeting at H/S/W + Chicago and Columbia, I hope that 720 will do for those schools (Although, I understand that my score is not fantastic)

I'd like to express my warm gratitude to stolyar, vaka, vicky, chihao, jaydi8 and many many those who participated in my verbal posts.

Hope, that I will contribute to this site in the future (but not so extensively), since I've not forsaked idea to hit 750 (for the possibility of obtaing stipend in Chicago)

One last idea, ANYONE CAN BEAT GMAT :2gunfire:
I've progressed from 4% in the verbal (4 year ago) to 77%. Really, I've spent 5 month (real studying time) to cross 700 border. I am IN. :done
I could manage it! -> ANYONE with enough perseverance can manage it!!!

:run

GOOD LUCK GUYS!!! :punk
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2003, 00:33
WELL DONE!!!

:drunk
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2003, 05:19
Thats a very nice score. congratulations.

jay
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2003, 06:38
that's a great score, Mikhail. perseverance pays..it really does :)
your quant. score is just exceptional. okay..how many questions you got on permutation and combi? I am just ok in these.. :cry:

How many ques did you get wrong in each section? ...need to co-relate score with the number of right attempts.

Good Luck for your admission... Hale :read

:woohoo
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2003, 11:01
Many congratulations to you Mikhail.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2003, 01:30
Thanx, guys!

To dj:

Permutations: I got only 2 question (3-rd one and 31-32). Last was straightforward (just apply formula kCn). 3-rd one was a little tricky (but after you understood what ETS wants from you -> you need only to apply the same formula)

About number of correct shoots

Quant: I think that 51 = 0 or 1 errors (of scored questions)
50 = 1 to 2 errors
Verbal: 35 = 7-8 errors (of scored questions)
31 = 10-12 errors
Since nobody except for ETS knows which question is experimental and that GMAT is actually CAT test -> this figures are only hazy milestones and my personal feelings.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2003, 07:07
thanks Mikhail. this helps.

good luck for the admission..
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2003, 08:02