Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 07:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

It is possible that, like the Volkswagen, whose unchanging

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
It is possible that, like the Volkswagen, whose unchanging [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2012, 00:02
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

76% (01:41) correct 24% (00:59) wrong based on 160 sessions
It is possible that, like the Volkswagen, whose unchanging exterior over decades concealed many changes in its internal machinery, the evolution of many prehistoric microbes occurred with no significant modification to their sheaths.

(A) the evolution of many prehistoric microbes occurred with no significant modification to their sheaths

(B) the evolution of many prehistoric microbes was occurring without significant modification of their sheaths

(C) no significant modification was made to the sheaths of many prehistoric microbes as they were evolving

(D) the sheaths of many prehistoric microbes went without significant modification during their evolution

(E) many prehistoric microbes evolved without significant modification of their sheaths
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My First Blog on my GMAT Journey

Arise, Awake and Stop not till the goal is reached

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: It is possible that, like the Volkswagen [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2012, 00:12
Like X, Y. This type of formation requires X and Y to be equivalent.
This straight away rules out A, B and C.

So, between D and E.
concealed is parallel to evolved. So, the answer is E.
In D, concealed is not parallel to went.

Secondly when comparing like to like, make sure they are both correct nouns.
So, comparing Vw to sheaths doesnt make sense whereas comparing Vw to microbes makes good sense.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Re: It is possible that, like the Volkswagen [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2012, 04:40
I'm not able to understand here,
what we are comparing to VW to prehistoric microbes or changes to prehistoric ?
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 260

Kudos [?]: 1546 [0], given: 248

Re: It is possible that, like the Volkswagen [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2012, 04:57
Expert's post
The phrase ‘like the VW’ signifies that it is the VW that is being compred to some thing similar. The similar thing is the micrfobes in this case. Only E compares rightly the VW with microbes.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Re: It is possible that, like the Volkswagen [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2012, 09:22
how can we compare car to bacteria.... I'm still not able to understand.
Pls explain champs
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V40
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 23

Re: It is possible that, like the Volkswagen [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2012, 10:23
riteshv wrote:
how can we compare car to bacteria.... I'm still not able to understand.
Pls explain champs

Because their appearance so to say didn't change over a certain period.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: It is possible that, like the Volkswagen [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2012, 14:56
I never miss any question with "like" in it . Wish all SC questions had like in them : )
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 20

Re: It is possible that, like the Volkswagen [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2012, 15:04
E is the answer which makes proper comparison between Volkswagen and prehistoric microbes.
Director
Director
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 251 [0], given: 543

Re: It is possible that, like the Volkswagen, whose unchanging [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2013, 23:34
Can someone explain the comparison in this sentence from a meaning perspective. Thanks!

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1131 [1] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: It is possible that, like the Volkswagen, whose unchanging [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2013, 23:43
This post received
KUDOS
fozzzy wrote:
Can someone explain the comparison in this sentence from a meaning perspective. Thanks!

It is possible that, like the Volkswagen, whose unchanging exterior over decades concealed many changes in its internal machinery, the evolution of many prehistoric microbes occurred with no significant modification to their sheaths.

Like the VW (first term of the comparison), ??? (second term). The first is a concreted noun, so a comparison VW - evolution or modification makes no sense.

(A) the evolution
(B) the evolution
(C) no significant modification

(D) the sheaths of many prehistoric microbes
(E) many prehistoric microbes

The only concrete nouns are in D and E. To pick the correct answer we have to take a look at the structure of the comparison:
subject(VW), did something LIKE
many prehistoric microbes(subject), did something else.
E matches the structure.

Hope this is what you mean by meaning perspective

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GPA: 3.49
WE: Web Development (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 6

Re: It is possible that, like the Volkswagen, whose unchanging [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2013, 23:18
ENAFEX wrote:

(A) the evolution of many prehistoric microbes occurred with no significant modification to their sheaths

(B) the evolution of many prehistoric microbes was occurring without significant modification of their sheaths

(C) no significant modification was made to the sheaths of many prehistoric microbes as they were evolving

(D) the sheaths of many prehistoric microbes went without significant modification during their evolution

(E) many prehistoric microbes evolved without significant modification of their sheaths

like x, y

so only E follows
concealed with out
evolved woth out :: so parallel and same usage
Re: It is possible that, like the Volkswagen, whose unchanging   [#permalink] 01 Sep 2013, 23:18