Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 01:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

It is possible that the Roma people have migrated from India

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
It is possible that the Roma people have migrated from India [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2011, 12:58
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

65% (01:55) correct 35% (00:50) wrong based on 74 sessions
It is possible that the Roma people have migrated from India across Europe over the course of several centuries that were characterized by this type of nomadic wandering.

A) have migrated from India across Europe over the course of several centuries that were characterized
B) had migrated from India across Europe over the course of several centuries that were characterized
C) migrated from India across Europe over the course of several centuries that had been characterized
D) migrated from India across Europe over the course of several centuries that were characterized
E) migrated from India over the course of several centuries that were characterized across Europe

Can anyone tell when to use simple past and past perfect. I know what is simple past and past perfect but i am very confused when to apply past tense and past perfect especially during when series of events happened in the past.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2011, 13:32
In simple language, when you want to discuss series of events happened in past you will first use simple past to indicate the past tense and then use past perfect to indicate events happened before first event.

Ex. Everyone was disappointed when they found out that the tire had punctured.

"past perfect refers to a time before the past simple"
Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2011, 13:33
hiii Tom, I have also struggled a lot with usage of past perfect and in fact still struggle a lot after 3-4 months of rigorous gmat preparation.

The answer to above question should be 'D' because the sentence mentions only 1 incidence happening in past. We use past perfect when two different events happen in past in different time periods . Past perfect is used for earlier past event and simple past for later past event.

for example we can use past perfect for following sentence.

"It is possible that Roma people had migrated from india to Romaland long before the Europe slumbered in dark ages."

In this sentence two things happened in past. roma people's migration happened first and then europe slumbered in dark ages later. But in above sentence only 1 past event is mentioned. That is migration of roma people in particular time period. When only 1 event happens in past we use simple past .
Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 906 [0], given: 376

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2011, 16:45
TomB wrote:
It is possible that the Roma people have migrated from India across Europe over the course of several centuries that were characterized by this type of nomadic wandering.

have migrated from India across Europe over the course of several centuries that were characterized
had migrated from India across Europe over the course of several centuries that were characterized
migrated from India across Europe over the course of several centuries that had been characterized
migrated from India across Europe over the course of several centuries that were characterized
migrated from India over the course of several centuries that were characterized across Europe

Can anyone tell when to use simple past and past perfect. I know what is simple past and past perfect but i am very confused when to apply past tense and past perfect especially during when series of events happened in the past.

!
Please use appropriate forums to post your questions.

Critical Reasoning(CR): gmat-critical-reasoning-cr-139/

Reading Comprehension(RC): gmat-reading-comprehension-rc-137/

Sentence Correction(SC): gmat-sentence-correction-sc-138/

Analytical Writing And Assessment:
analytical-writing-assessment-awa-144/

Please DO NOT post any question in main Verbal forum:
verbal-gmat-questions-11/

Although option A represents the problem section in SC questions, properly underlining the problem section helps people more.

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2011, 05:01
Isn't the answer B? That's the only option with had in it

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2011, 00:08
I chose D

Use of Present Perfact (Have) is wrong here and use of simple past is right (were) in second clause and placement of 'across Europe' is wrong in 'E'

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-guide-to-the-official-guide-13-for-gmat-review-134210.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 46

It is possible that the Roma people have migrated from India [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 00:50

(A)have migrated from India across Europe over the course of several centuries that were characterized

(B)had migrated from India across Europe over the course of several centuries that were characterized

(C)migrated from India across Europe over the course of several centuries that had been characterized

(D)migrated from India across Europe over the course of several centuries that were characterized

(E)migrated from India over the course of several centuries that were characterized across Euro

Need explanation....
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 165 [0], given: 33

Re: It is possible that the Roma people have migrated from India [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 02:30
There is only one event which the sentence speaks about: migration. Hence there is no need to use perfect tenses. Eliminate A, B and C.
E sounds wrong the moment you read it. Hence we can eliminate it by trusting our ear. D conveys the meaning in a clear way without complicating it with perfect tenses.

A)have migrated from India across Europe over the course of several centuries that were characterized

(B)had migrated from India across Europe over the course of several centuries that were characterized

(C)migrated from India across Europe over the course of several centuries that had been characterized

(D)migrated from India across Europe over the course of several centuries that were characterized

(E)migrated from India over the course of several centuries that were characterized across Euro

Encourage me by pressing the KUDOS if you find my post to be helpful.

Help me win "The One Thing You Wish You Knew - GMAT Club Contest"
the-one-thing-you-wish-you-knew-gmat-club-contest-140358.html#p1130989

Manager
Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 14

Re: It is possible that the Roma people have migrated from India [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 05:59
mun23 wrote:

(A)have migrated from India across Europe over the course of several centuries that were characterized

Need explanation....

We use a perfect tense when there is another event to compare with. Something like Romans had migrated even before something else happened. But in this case, this is not true. So we use simple past tense. Eliminate A and B

In the second part of the sentence, it the "centuries" that were characterized by this type of migrations.
- In C, "that had been characterized" again is a past perfect usage which is not warranted here.
- In E, "characterized across Europe" => the most absurd structure.

D is the simplest and most straight-forward with no meaning distortion.

Shouvik
http://www.Edvento.com
admin@edvento.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 142 [0], given: 70

Re: It is possible that the Roma people have migrated from India [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 22:31
All duplicate threads on this same topic are merged.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 117

Kudos [?]: 1198 [0], given: 119

Premium Member
Re: It is possible that the Roma people have migrated from India [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 22:55
TomB wrote:

A) have migrated from India across Europe over the course of several centuries that were characterized
B) had migrated from India across Europe over the course of several centuries that were characterized
C) migrated from India across Europe over the course of several centuries that had been characterized
D) migrated from India across Europe over the course of several centuries that were characterized
E) migrated from India over the course of several centuries that were characterized across Europe

A is out because the use of present perfect tense is wrong.
B is out because Past perfect is used only you have a specific time in the past.
C is out out because Past perfect tense is used incorrectly.
E is out because "over the course of several centuries that" does not make sense.

D is correct

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

SVP
SVP
Followers: 239

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: It is possible that the Roma people have migrated from India [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2014, 12:29
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: It is possible that the Roma people have migrated from India   [#permalink] 29 Jul 2014, 12:29