Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 23:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

It is the holy duty of the press to publish any news that is

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

It is the holy duty of the press to publish any news that is [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2012, 19:56
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

30% (02:45) correct 70% (01:35) wrong based on 50 sessions
It is the holy duty of the press to publish any news that is in the public interest to have published. There can be no doubt that the public has demonstrated considerable interest in the recent Colorado massacre, especially since the details of the private lives of the people involved have been displayed in the tabloid magazines and television talk shows every day. Thus, the press has an obligation to publish the details of the private lives of all of the people involved in this case.

A reasoning error in the argument is that:

A. It incorrectly assumes that just because the public in interested in some topic, they are also interested in the private lives of the people involved.
B. The reasons given in support of the conclusion presuppose the truth of that conclusion.
C. The argument employs a key term or phrase in two different meanings.
D. The argument assumes that just because the press has a duty to publish something, it should publish it.
E. It bases the conclusion on the unwarranted assumption that whatever is in the public interest to have published ought to be published.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 97

GMAT Tests User
Re: It is the holy duty of the press to publish any news [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2012, 20:04
what is the source.. thiis is non-gmat seems to be created or made up related to the reccent incident
This is nowhere close to the actual GMAT

gjg wrote:
It is the holy duty of the press to publish any news that is in the public interest to have published. There can be no doubt that the public has demonstrated considerable interest in the recent Colorado massacre, especially since the details of the private lives of the people involved have been displayed in the tabloid magazines and television talk shows every day. Thus, the press has an obligation to publish the details of the private lives of all of the people involved in this case.

A. It incorrectly assumes that just because the public in interested in some topic, they are also interested in the private lives of the people involved.
B. The reasons given in support of the conclusion presuppose the truth of that conclusion.
D. The argument assumes that just because the press has a duty to publish something, it should publish it.
E. It bases the conclusion on the unwarranted assumption that whatever is in the public interest to have published ought to be published.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 21

Re: It is the holy duty of the press to publish any news [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2012, 11:36
C
It drives Public interest (publishing is obligation for press) in some incident which lead to shows & publishing on private lives. But then suddenly change the course

publishing private lives in the obligation for press-(Not all private lives)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: It is the holy duty of the press to publish any news [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2012, 07:35
jagdeepsingh1983 wrote:
C
It drives Public interest (publishing is obligation for press) in some incident which lead to shows & publishing on private lives. But then suddenly change the course

publishing private lives in the obligation for press-(Not all private lives)

Could you please specify which word is the "key term" that is misused,which exact word?
Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 75

Re: It is the holy duty of the press to publish any news [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2012, 07:44
gjg wrote:

Key term- holy duty "

Firstly, press should publish any news that is in the public interest.
Secondly, the press has an obligation to publish the details of the private lives of all of the people involved in cases,which is being telecast on media.

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Intern
Intern

Re: It is the holy duty of the press to publish any news [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2012, 08:26
Thanks thevenus,

Did I understand you correct ?

First: It is the holy duty of the press to publish any news that is in the public interest to have published.

Second: Thus, the press has an obligation to publish the details of the private lives

So,because any news and details of private lives don't match as a function of the same key term "duty/obligation", therefore this key term is misused?
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Schools: UCSD (Rady) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 173

Kudos [?]: 72 [1] , given: 3

Re: It is the holy duty of the press to publish any news [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2012, 09:02
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Pretty sure "public interest" is the misused term, because saying something is "in the public interest" (i.e. good for people whether they like it or not) is different from saying "the public is interested" (i.e. people actually want to know).

My stupid little example: broccoli is in the public interest, but the public is not interested!

However, I don't like this question mainly because I see absolutely nothing wrong with answer choice (B). This argument, simplified, says:

"News sources publish Colorado massacre info, therefore the public is interested in this info, therefore news sources should publish this info."

A therefore B therefore A - it's circular logic.

Ryan Jacobs | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Intern
Intern

Re: It is the holy duty of the press to publish any news [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2012, 10:01
rjacobsMGMAT wrote:
Pretty sure "public interest" is the misused term, because saying something is "in the public interest" (i.e. good for people whether they like it or not) is different from saying "the public is interested" (i.e. people actually want to know).

My stupid little example: broccoli is in the public interest, but the public is not interested!

However, I don't like this question mainly because I see absolutely nothing wrong with answer choice (B). This argument, simplified, says:

"News sources publish Colorado massacre info, therefore the public is interested in this info, therefore news sources should publish this info."

A therefore B therefore A - it's circular logic.

Thanks Ryan!

I also think that answer B is more reasonable as a correct answer,because it shows circular reasoning.
Re: It is the holy duty of the press to publish any news   [#permalink] 25 Jul 2012, 10:01