Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 14:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

It is the relationship of Hemingway with his mother, Grace,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
It is the relationship of Hemingway with his mother, Grace, [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2012, 00:56
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

53% (01:27) correct 47% (00:36) wrong based on 15 sessions
It is the relationship of Hemingway with his mother, Grace, which is probably the most enigmatic of all the women in his life.

(A) which is probably the most enigmatic of all the women in his life
(B) who is probably the most enigmatic of all the women in his life
(C) which is probably the most enigmatic of all his relationships with women
(D) who, of all the relationships eh had with women, is probably the most enigmatic
(E) which, of all the women in his life, is probably the most enigmatic relationship he had

I looked up this Q, and people said that it tested "appositive phrase"

According to my grammar book, appositive phrase describe nouns to pronouns, Instead of modifying nouns to pronouns, however, appositive phrases rename them. In form they are nouns or onus equivalents.
Ex) Bloogers, conversationalist at heart, are the ~~~~

I can't find such a thing in this Q.

Also, Doesn't which always modify the noun before it in GMAT?
It it does, which in the Q is supposed to modify Grace.

Please, explain this Q.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 268 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: PT #6 SC 8 It is the relationship of Hemingway with his moth [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2012, 01:12
hey buddy,

(A) which is probably the most enigmatic of all the women in his life
wrong comparison between relationship and all the women. Incorrect.

(B) who is probably the most enigmatic of all the women in his life
the sentence talks about relationship and this relationship is what the author wants to describe after the comma, however here what follows comma is wrongly modifying the Grace...and also Grace can't be the most enigmatic(puzzling) of all the women, i mean that's logically incorrect.

(C) which is probably the most enigmatic of all his relationships with women
correct, which correctly takes relationship as antecedent.

(D) who, of all the relationships eh had with women, is probably the most enigmatic
who intends to refer to relationship but who is a wrong relative pronoun for a nonliving being...also see the incorrect usage of past perfect..
(E) which, of all the women in his life, is probably the most enigmatic relationship he had ...unnecessary wordy, similar to B and D.

for the usage of which, i would suggest you to go through this recent discussion on gmatclub
doubt-on-usage-of-which-127512.html
hope it helps.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Re: PT #6 SC 8 It is the relationship of Hemingway with his moth   [#permalink] 14 Feb 2012, 01:12