Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 13:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

It is true of both men and women that those who marry as

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
It is true of both men and women that those who marry as [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2006, 13:52
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
It is true of both men and women that those who marry as young adults live longer than those who never marry. This dos not show that marriage causes people to live longer, since, as compared with other people of the same age, young adults who are about to get married have fewer of the unhealthy habits that can cause a person to have a shorter life, most notably smoking and immoderate drinking of alcohol.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument above?

A. Marriage tends to cause people to engage less regularly in sports that involve risk of bodily harm.
B. A married person who has an unhealthy habit is more likely to give up that habit than a person with the same habit who is unmarried.
C. A person who smokes is much more likely than a nonsmoker to marry a person who smokes at the time of marriage, and the same is true for people who drink alcohol immoderately.
D. Among people who marry as young adults, most of those who give up an unhealthy habit after marriage do not resume the habit later in life.
E. Among people who as young adults neither drink alcohol immoderately nor smoke, those who never marry live as long as those who marry.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2006, 13:53
A tough one again ..

I don't have an OA for this one. I met with this question on this forum. The discussion was a long thread. And I am curious about the OA. I would like to hear your comments. Please tell why you chose which.

Thanks ..
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2006, 14:06
CR specifically indicates that people give up unhealthy behaviour due to the fact that they are getting married.

A. Marriage tends to cause people to engage less regularly in sports that involve risk of bodily harm.

This talks about post-marriage behaviour about sports... and risk ...irrelevant.

B. A married person who has an unhealthy habit is more likely to give up that habit than a person with the same habit who is unmarried.

Says the tendency of married person to be more healthy, which would relate to pre-marriage behaviour.

C. A person who smokes is much more likely than a nonsmoker to marry a person who smokes at the time of marriage, and the same is true for people who drink alcohol immoderately.

Says smoker/drinker marries another smoker/drinker.. irrelevant.

D. Among people who marry as young adults, most of those who give up an unhealthy habit after marriage do not resume the habit later in life.

Talks about post-marriage behaviour...tendency to revert to unhealthy lifestyle... close but not relevant.

E. Among people who as young adults neither drink alcohol immoderately nor smoke, those who never marry live as long as those who marry.

Discusses Unmarried healthy lifestyle lifespan... irrelevant.

Answer :I would go for B.

Last edited by haas_mba07 on 14 Jun 2006, 14:11, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2006, 14:07
It is clearly E

The argument is saying that those who marry young tend to live longer, NOT because they are married, BUT because they tend to not have unhealthy habits.

E strengthens the argument saying that among young people, those who do not have unhealthy habits but DO NOT marry live as long as the ones that DO marry.

I believe its yogurt!

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2006, 14:09
haas_mba07 wrote:

I would go for B.

The stem says This dos not show that marriage causes people to live longer. Hence B does not strengthen the argument, instead weakens it.

I believe its yogurt!

VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2006, 14:15
My answer hinges on the "tendency" of young adults who are getting married to adopt healthy habits.. i.e. become responsible adults.

I think the CR indicates that the same tendency in an implicit manner.

gmatmba wrote:
haas_mba07 wrote:

I would go for B.

The stem says This dos not show that marriage causes people to live longer. Hence B does not strengthen the argument, instead weakens it.
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2006, 14:16
I agree this is a tricky one... subtle and tricky. :-)
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2006, 14:19
I betting on E

If I understand correctly, we are looking for something that support the idea that getting married young is not the main cause of a long life, since younger people tend to smoke and drink more...............

By POE I choose E. :?:

Nice question

Who is John Galt?

VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2006, 14:58
Tend to go with E.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2006, 18:16
I will go with B on this one.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2006, 20:07
'B' for me too.
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2006, 20:15
I am not following the crowd, but choose B as well for my own reasons... because it doesn't state that the marriage is the cause, but rather condition that a couple makes when marrying younger

why do we care about the fact of what is happening among certain groups as D and E state?

C is irrelevant

in A risk of bodily harm is not the same as unhealthy habits...
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2006, 20:54
This is a tricky one..

Let us analys the argument...the story goes like this..

There are 2 families - married when young & married when relatively old

and the truth is family red lives longer thant family green.
the 2nd truth is it is not that marrying young prolongs life but the fewer unhealthy habits which doesn't grow further prolongs their life span

'A' - out of context
'C' - couples interest. no clue about this analysis or statistics in the argument . out of context.

'D' - it is a fact. red family, if they have fewer unhealthy habits, then its number reduces (doesn't grow) and therefore adds more days to their life. Strenghtens the first truth and second as well

'B' - red family is more likely (how likely ???) to give up when compared to an unknown entity (unmarried people..)

'E' - it is a fact. unknown people who tend have either similar or better healthy habits when compared to red family tend to live almost same as the red family...
Strengthens

'E' is the clear winner...
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2006, 22:12
Will go with E.

The argument is that marriage has nothing to do with people living longer.
To strengthen the argument we need to show something simmilar.

E does that.

The author argues that studies have found young people marrying earlier to live a longer live.
And E says that a young person with similar habits to another yougn man gettign married has the same chance of living longer as the person marrying. Hence marriage is not a factor in their longer lives.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2006, 22:21
Will go with E.

The point here is that marriage does not increase longevity, but habits do. The only choice that supports this is E.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2006, 22:29
I will go with B.
This was a simple one for me cos, I have been in this situation. Who else can answer it better.

NOTE: The passage askes you to strenthen the argument above and not contradict it.
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2006, 00:30
EEEEEEEEEEEEEE :lol: .
Will explain later. Already good explaination for E.
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2006, 00:50
"E" is the best.

It supports the claim that 'marriage is not the reason for living long".
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2006, 02:48
Friends,

Thanks for your participation and the great discussion. It is amazing :good

My answer for this question is also ^ E ^ .

We need to pay attention to:

"It is true of both men and women that those who marry as young adults live longer than those who never marry. This dos not show that marriage causes people to live longer..."

The bold part is the main point the authour tries to make. So, we should try to find an idea that supports and strengthens it. And E does that.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2006, 02:50
vivek123 wrote:
"E" is the best.

It supports the claim that 'marriage is not the reason for living long".

:wave

Vivek, it is nice to see you again :king
  [#permalink] 15 Jun 2006, 02:50