Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 11:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

It is well known in the supermarket industry that how items

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 69

CAT Tests
It is well known in the supermarket industry that how items [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2013, 02:34
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

53% (01:36) correct 47% (01:01) wrong based on 88 sessions
It is well known in the supermarket industry that how items are placed on shelves and the frequency of inventory turnovers can be crucial to profits.

(A) the frequency of inventory turnovers can be
(B) the frequency of inventory turnovers is often
(C) the frequency with which the inventory turns over is often
(D) how frequently is the inventory turned over are often
(E) how frequently the inventory turns over can be

[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA: E

Between options D & E, I would choose 'are often' than 'can be'..
This question is based on parallel structure between 'how items are placed on shelves' and clause in options.

Why 'how frequently is the inventory turned over' is wrong ?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4.6 years Exp IT prof
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 48 [1] , given: 38

Re: It is well known in the supermarket industry that.. [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2013, 03:09
This post received
KUDOS
Item A : how items are placed on shelves

Item B1 : how frequently is the inventory turned over are often crucial to profits.
Item B2 : how frequently the inventory turns over can be crucial to profits.

The Item A is parallel to Item B2 and not B1
because in case of B1 how frequently is the inventory turned over should be parallel to Item A which doesnot convey the meaning.

I will give a Fight till the End

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."
- Bernard Edmonds

A person who is afraid of Failure can never succeed -- Amneet Padda

Don't Forget to give the KUDOS

Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 69

CAT Tests
Re: It is well known in the supermarket industry that.. [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2013, 11:05
I agree Item A and Item B2 are parallel. Now, If I change the place of is, Are A & B1 parallel ?

Item A : how items are placed on shelves
Item B1 : how frequently the inventory is turned over are often crucial to profits.
Item B2 : how frequently the inventory turns over can be crucial to profits.

clauses 'are often crucial' and 'can be crucial to profit' does play any part while determining answer choices ?
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4.6 years Exp IT prof
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 38

Re: It is well known in the supermarket industry that.. [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2013, 11:59
Yes i think they are parallel but then the same option is not there in the official answer options :)

I will give a Fight till the End

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."
- Bernard Edmonds

A person who is afraid of Failure can never succeed -- Amneet Padda

Don't Forget to give the KUDOS

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 370 [0], given: 182

Re: It is well known in the supermarket industry that.. [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2013, 14:34
D is wrong because is not Parallel to original sentence structure. "Frequently" is used as a noun here. Its an adverb, not a noun.

First part: How items are placed on shelves -> How + noun + verb --Original
D -> How frequently is the inventory turned over -> How + noun + verb + noun + verb --Not In Parallel
E -> How frequently the inventory turns over -> How + noun + verb --In Parallel

Thanks,
PraPon

Tough 700+ Level RCs: Passage1 | Passage2 | Passage3 | Passage4 | Passage5 | Passage6 | Passage7
Reading Comprehension notes: Click here
VOTE: vote-best-gmat-practice-tests-excluding-gmatprep-144859.html
PowerScore CR Bible - Official Guide 13 Questions Set Mapped: Click here

Expert Post
Followers: 312

Kudos [?]: 2622 [0], given: 697

Re: It is well known in the supermarket industry that.. [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2013, 16:10
Expert's post
SVP
SVP
Followers: 279

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: It is well known in the supermarket industry that how items [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2014, 03:54
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: It is well known in the supermarket industry that how items   [#permalink] 25 Sep 2014, 03:54