Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 19:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

IT porfessional aspiring for U.S. MBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

IT porfessional aspiring for U.S. MBA [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2004, 09:15
Hi,

I am an Indian national working for an Indian I.T. company deputed on a project in U.S. I have a total of 4 years of work experience. I am good at my work, but it is not offering me enough challenge and hence, I am persuing to do MBA. I am planning to apply for Spring 2005/ fall 2006 as I am late this year in taking the decision. I have scheduled my GMAT in December 2005.
I have few questions to ask. If they are overwhelming, please bear with me. I am new to this forum and hence please be nice to me. :P

1. Is anybody in this forum who feels that he/she has a similar background as mine?

2. What are the good specializations for an I.T. professional (MIS/Marketing etc...) ?

3. I don't have any great team leadership experience. Most of the times, I have been a team member or occassinally have lead small ( 2-3 members) teams. However, I have worked on some very responsible positions in the past (Onsite Implementation team for various projects)
So, looking at this, do you think that this experience will be sufficient to persue B schools that I have in me what it takes?

The answers to these questions to the best extent will be highly appreciated.

Amit
--------------------------------
A Journey towards my goals

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 46

[#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2004, 19:28
Expert's post
Yup, there are a lot of applicants here with similar backgrounds. Hopefully some of them will post here. Since there are a lot of applicants with backgrounds similar to yours (not just on this site, but everywhere), keep in mind that you will have to work hard to set yourself apart from the competition.

Given that, ideally you would have some real leadership experiences to talk about. How about comunity involvement? Is there any other way, besides your job, that you might be able to show initiative?

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 427 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2004, 19:30
Hi,

The choice of specialization depends on your goals for the MBA. However, marketing or MIS are both viable choices.

Great leadership experiences (at least in the workplace) are not a necessary condition for admission to a leading business school. Of course, it would be good to have some experiences you can reference in your essays.

Hjort
Intern
Intern

I.T. Person aspiring for MBA [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2004, 19:09
Scott,

Can you elaborate what you mean by community involvement and how to achieve it?
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 46

[#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2004, 15:03
Expert's post
It could be any way in which you show how you help others, often as part of an organization (like a church or non-profit group). These kinds of things are a great way to show that you're more than just an I.T. professional. They can show what you're passionate about besides your career. They also help show that you care about others and want to help others, even if your contributions are relatively small.

Ideally you can find something that you really care about. Some examples might be helping the elderly, improving health care for the poor, or teaching children in your spare time. It's really up to you. Find something that matters to you, and then make a difference in that area.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2004, 16:30
Thanks Scott. It really helps.

Amit
A Journey towards my goals

CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 427 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2004, 18:20
Hi,

Note that community involvement and similar activities often act as proxy variables for candidate multidimensionality.

Although such activities might be a sufficient condition of multidimensionality in some circumstances, they should not be viewed as a necessary condition.

Hjort