Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 17:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

It s an oversimplified view of cattle raising to say that

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

It s an oversimplified view of cattle raising to say that [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2006, 15:59
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
It s an oversimplified view of cattle raising to say that all one has to do with cattle is leave them alone while they feed themselves, corral them and to drive them to market when the time is ripe.

A. all one has to do with cattle is leave them alone while they feed themselves, corral them, and to

B. all one has to do with cattle is to leave them alone to feed themselves, to corral them, and

C. all one has to do with cattle is leave them alone while they feed themselves and then corral them and

D. the only thing that has to be done with cattle is leave them alone while they feed themselves, corral them, and

E. the only thing that has to be done with cattle is to leave them alone while they feed themselves, to corral them, and

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i selected B (wrong!)
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2006, 16:03
i know the verbs are used chronologically in this sentence. but what is the logic in these two "and"s? shouldn't it be:

leave..., corral... and drive...

and how come cattle becomes plural prenouns "them" and "themselves"?

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Intern
Intern

Re: SC: Test Code 37 #11 [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2006, 16:37
scgmat wrote:
It s an oversimplified view of cattle raising to say that all one has to do with cattle is leave them alone while they feed themselves, corral them and to drive them to market when the time is ripe.

A. all one has to do with cattle is leave them alone while they feed themselves, corral them, and to

B. all one has to do with cattle is to leave them alone to feed themselves, to corral them, and

C. all one has to do with cattle is leave them alone while they feed themselves and then corral them and

D. the only thing that has to be done with cattle is leave them alone while they feed themselves, corral them, and

E. the only thing that has to be done with cattle is to leave them alone while they feed themselves, to corral them, and

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i selected B (wrong!)

I think the best answer is C. In B the problem is "all one has to do with cattle is to leave them alone to feed themselves, to corral them, and" here "to" is missing for "to drive them..........." while in C it goes like

It s an oversimplified view of cattle raising to say that all one has to do with cattle is leave them alone while they feed themselves and then corral them and drive them to market when the time is ripe.

D and E change the meaning by taking off "ONE" and making it vague.

Correctme if i am wrong!
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2006, 16:53
I am going with C here too... and cattle is plural :shock: learned something here... ha-ha

A. definitely not parallel inserting "to" in the end

B. all one has to do with cattle is to leave them alone to feed themselves, to corral them, and MISSING 'to' for ||sm

C. all one has to do with cattle is leave them alone while they feed themselves and then corral them and DRIVE THEM...

this may seem minor but AND acts as a comma here, so we don't need both! we only put a comma with AND when connecting 2 independant clauses

same as D
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2006, 18:19
:shock: i looked up the word "cattle" in wikipedia and found the following:

Quote:
The term cattle itself is not a plural, but a mass noun. Thus one may refer to some cattle, but not three cattle. There is no singular equivalent in modern English to cattle other than the various gender and age-specific terms (though "catron" is occasionally seen as a half-serious proposal). Strictly speaking, the singular noun for the domestic bovine is ox: a bull is a male ox and a cow is a female ox. That this was once the standard name for domestic bovines is shown in placenames such as Oxford. But "ox" is now rarely used in this general sense. Today "cow" is frequently used as a gender-neutral term, although it is meant to be used solely to mean female (females of other animals, such as whales or elephants, are also called cows). To refer to a specific number of these animals without specifying their gender, it must be stated as (for example) "ten head of cattle."

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:Vzc ... =clnk&cd=5

Quote:
C. all one has to do with cattle is leave them alone while they feed themselves and then corral them and drive them

also i wanted to know why there are two "and" in C. what's the function of the first "and then"? thank you!
CEO
CEO
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2006, 18:44
C for ||ism.

D and E are out because "the only thing" and there are more than one things.

A is not ||. ...feed....corral......and to drive"
B is also not ||. "...to feed...to corral......and drive"

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2006, 01:15
scgmat wrote:
:shock: i looked up the word "cattle" in wikipedia and found the following:

Quote:
The term cattle itself is not a plural, but a mass noun. Thus one may refer to some cattle, but not three cattle. There is no singular equivalent in modern English to cattle other than the various gender and age-specific terms (though "catron" is occasionally seen as a half-serious proposal). Strictly speaking, the singular noun for the domestic bovine is ox: a bull is a male ox and a cow is a female ox. That this was once the standard name for domestic bovines is shown in placenames such as Oxford. But "ox" is now rarely used in this general sense. Today "cow" is frequently used as a gender-neutral term, although it is meant to be used solely to mean female (females of other animals, such as whales or elephants, are also called cows). To refer to a specific number of these animals without specifying their gender, it must be stated as (for example) "ten head of cattle."

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:Vzc ... =clnk&cd=5

Quote:
C. all one has to do with cattle is leave them alone while they feed themselves and then corral them and drive them

also i wanted to know why there are two "and" in C. what's the function of the first "and then"? thank you!

Another less common use of the term: "cattle class" ---> the back of the plane where I have to sit every time I fly back and forth over the Pacific because I don`t have an MBA yet :wink:

Clearly (C) here

:54

Last edited by GMATT73 on 13 Aug 2006, 08:40, edited 1 time in total.
  [#permalink] 13 Aug 2006, 01:15