Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 04:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

It seems that my world is ended. :(

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
It seems that my world is ended. :( [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2010, 04:51
Today,I've written my exam in Bangalore,India. I was shocked when I saw my verbal score. how could I so stupid? V-20. I was crying and totally lost while coming back to home.I've not even notice that there are very much traffic on road I should be careful while walking.
But for me it was like my dream went off. I was preparing for this exam more than 6 months. was everything for me.why has it happened?

I took the entire material.OG 10,11 and 12. MGMAT SC,SC Grill, MGMAT CR,RC -99.I had gone through OG many times,many times.SC grill I did more than twice.
even though I was getting acceptable (450 -550) score in GMAT prep test.It was enough for me I was thinking if I'm getting this score in GMAT prep I'll reach at 650 in real exam and after that will go to again for it. but... everything I've lost. My manager was not ready to give me vacation. I lied a lot in front of him.so happy those 5 days may be help me to improve at least 60 more point. but nothing has happen.

I'm writing this note and crying a lot. :(:( posting.php?mode=edit&f=8&p=833241#Can some one help me what is next for me? I don't think so I'll improve at least 400 point in another next month. Do u guys think so? Can some on help me how should I prepare for it.
my study plan was;
50 SC,20 CR and 4 RC everyday
50 PS and 30 DS everyday.
after Office I was giving 4 hrs to study. 8 Pm to 12:30 am (IST time). but still this much score. Am I so stupid gal is it? I really don't know from where should I start? :(posting.php?mode=post&f=8#
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 94 [2] , given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: It seems that my world is ended. :( [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2010, 07:03
This post received
KUDOS
Hey ... i can understand what u must be feeling .... even i had got V-20 in my first attempt GMAT....had 550 overall and 47 in maths.

I tell u don't feel so dejected... take it as a positive appotunity

when i had got this score, i was thinking of taking exam within 1 or 2 months...
but tell u what then i thought if i can not improve my verbal in last 5 months of preparation how will i improve in 1-2 months...

Then i decided i will prepare for next few months untill i get good score.... i read a lot of foreign author book .... solved a lot of questions.. solve OG 10,11,12 (12 - twice)
Cr 1000, Cr bible, ... a lot of RC practice... 1000sc, kaplan premier, kaplan 800

I had only one aim to score 800 in my next attemp and i was preparing accordingly
I took Kaplan tests, Gmat club tests, Peterson's tests, 800gmat tests, MGMAT and GMAT prep tests...
And when i took Gmat i dint score 800 but i did scored 760
I saw my score on the screen and i just started laughing, persone sitting next to me was looking at me and was wondering why this guy laughing
Some people can make it with so much less preparation because they are already good in maths and english.... and people like us need a lot of preparation because we are not already good....but yes we can improve....
It needs only one thing and that is dedication and confidence. I had confidence thats why i spent time behind this... i made it possible...

Now its all upto you ... what u have to do and what u want to achive ...
If u want to score well then there is only one strategy and that is PRACTICE
If u r ready to take such a extensive preparation then go for it ...

Check this link

http://www.rupeemail.com/rupeemail/invite.do?in=NzYxOTkxJSMlRzF0NGJKQnllT1kzVmRmbTVBb2tLZ1Q4RA==

http://www.rupeemail.com/rupeemail/pages/rupeemail/images/joinImage.gif

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Chartered Engineer
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: INSEAD - Class of 2013
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 30 [2] , given: 19

Re: It seems that my world is ended. :( [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2010, 11:21
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Soniasaini,

Dont feel so low. Nothing is impossible. But let me give my honest opinion here. Going through your post, one can find a lot of grammatical errors. I am neither a Verbal pro nor a native English speaker. I am just trying to let you know where you can work. Your material is the best one can get for Verbal. May be you need to have a long term plan and include reading good fiction books into that plan. You will find what books to refer to on this site.

Second, quantity doesn't matter in GMAT. I learnt it the hard way. I used to do tons and tons of SC,PS,DS for the sake of doing it. I never used to bother to look into the wrong answers and didn't maintain error log. The result was, I didn't get my target GMAT score in my first attempt. Right now preparing for GMAT 2. Now, even if I do 10 SC in a day, I make sure that I completely break down the SC to the basics, review each of the 5 options and try to know why each option is wrong. So, concentrate on quality of preparation.

People on this site answer the SC questions giving importance to minute aspects. Try to participate in those discussions on the SC forum. I found them very useful. Makes you think as if you are solving an arithmetic problem. That though process is very much imp for non native speakers like us. :)

Hope my blabbering will be of some use to you.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Fuqua (In), Tuck (WL & Withdrawn), McDonough (Withdrawn), McCombs (Withdrawn), Manchester (In & Withdrawn)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [2] , given: 0

Re: It seems that my world is ended. :( [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2010, 11:04
This post received
KUDOS
It surely hasn't! Let me share you my story.

First... please take a look at my scores:
GMAT 1 (2006): 540
GMAT 2 (2007): 460
GMAT 3 (2007): 430
GMAT 4 (2009): 570
GMAT 5 (2009): 690

For the first GMAT I enrolled myseñf in the Princeton Review. I dedicated lets say around 3 hours a week. But did not took the exam seriously as I did not used any practice test.. I trusted my common sense (a major fault in this exam) I ended up blowing my score but I did not learned my lesson.

For the GMAT 2 and 3 I was sure that something had happened with me and that probably I made some careless mistakes that surely could have brought my score down. I took again the test and received a big dissappointment as you can see and just took one practice test two days before the GMAT and did not even finished it.

For the GMAT 4 I had learned my lessson... This exam could get tough if you don´t practice a lot so I needed to fully dedicate myself to practice! I sacrificed a lot of my social life... I committed to study 5 hours on weekdays and around 15 hours on the weekends for 6 months. but something went wrong... I only brought my score up to 570. Again, I did not use any practice test!

With this score I decided to apply to BSchools in 2009 - I was so exhausted with the GMAT - that I convinced myself that I could create a killer application and that my global working experience will offset this low grade. I hired an admissions consultant to help me with the process and to give me tips on what to do to "break" the system and get accepted... Unfortunately this very expensive and did not worked the way I wanted it to work... I got dinged from Kellogg, Ross, Tuck, Berkeley and waitlisted at Mendoza just to eventually got dinged.

Early in 2010 I simply didn't know what to do !!! I did not wanted to practice for the GMAT again! The past years were a nightmare and there was no way out! I lost my girfriend because I did not pay much attention to our relationship and at work things started to get complicated as well... I started to lose myself in the process of sending (more like "begging") adcoms my profile just to hear something good from them... I wanted any school to tell me "Your profile looks great! be sure to apply"... Believe me I sent an email to all the top 50 schools in the world!

I then decided to look for a school that did not demanded a GMAT as a requirement to grant an admission... I ended up excited by the fact that Madrid's IE program has its own admissions test! To tell you the truth I nailed the test and was later admitted to the MBA program.

I was ok with my IE admission but something about it was not right (althouth its a great school!)... My goal had been always to study at the US or the UK and I had drifted away from my goal because of this monster (the gmat)...

I started then to deeply think that I did not wanted to live my life thinking "what if I had taken the test a fifth time?"... So after taking my time to make this relevant decision.... I then enrolled in the Manhattan GMAT boot camp at NYC in the summer of 2010. This would be very expensive (I am from Latin America), but I kept thinking "WHAT IF" this works?

I simply can tell you that this decission was the best I've ever made in my life! They break up the GMAT not into two main topics... they go way much deeper in their study guides! and apparently the way they break up the test works for my mind structure because on August 2010 I increasen my latest score 110 points! just in time for the early rounds at Duke and Tuck!

I now think back and understand my faults which I would like to share with you:
1- Take this test seriously (I know you have)
2- Dedicate time to practice
3- Don't just start going through the problems... you will end up making the same mistakes again and again! What is needed is to fully understand the concepts! (for me, the MGMAT boot camp was my saviour)

Please do not give up! I am one of those scary stories with a happy ending! don't become one! Its too stressfull! I saw your post and wanted to share my experience with you. You can do it! You have to think what strategy could work with you as you are the person that knows you the most...

Let us know how the next test goes!

Good luck
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Fuqua (In), Tuck (WL & Withdrawn), McDonough (Withdrawn), McCombs (Withdrawn), Manchester (In & Withdrawn)

Kudos [?]: 7 [2] , given: 0

Re: It seems that my world is ended. :( [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2010, 10:40
This post received
KUDOS
gattupalli wrote:
Thanks for the story...! I really wanted to seek help for my disastrous attempt of my GMAT which i ended up just 530 (47Q and 17V)...all my practice tests I was scoring 600s in MGMAT...and I thought I would end up with atleast 630 or 620... And the worst part was my first GMAT prep w/o any preparation was 590 and 600... I have no clue where things have gone wrong...
I have started my preparation from April 2010 and booked the date in July 2010 and amidst my prep I was not scoring well in my preparation so I postponed to Sep2010....

Iam from a reputed Institute from India, so atleast I feel my verbal is not as bad that I would score just 17... I had a headache on that day and still stressed out on that day a little...but I feel that is not the reason for my score.. I really need help to make 700+ this time.. because I have not apped in 2010...

I have done OG12,11, Verbal review, Quant review, GMAT CLub questions, MGMAT SC, and powerscore CR...

how do I start my preparation again because to assess I would remember the questions of GMAT prep...
?

Please help me..!!

I'm sorry that you are having a hard time with the GMAT... By the way you are telling me your experience it sounds that you might think that there is no tomorrow and that your next GMAT attempt is the only one you have.... Please do think that you have all the chances in the world to beat the gmat!

According to Manhattan GMAT's experts... Verbal (particularily sentence correction) is the easiest way to increase your score! They say that if you practice for a month SC you'll end up "dominating" them and these Q's account for more than a third on the GMAT... so there, you can have your points..

On the RC section, remember that you have like 6-8 minutes to answer all the q's from a passage, so use like 4 min (depending on the passage) to grasp the main ideas of each paragraph... and that you get the point of what the author is trying to say and most importantly why is he telligh you these things... Why is this relevant?... Start to read "critically".. Take wise notes and arm your skeletall sketch... Then while reading the Q's identify whether this Q is general or specific.. if this Q is general with your sketch you should be able to figure the answer... and of the question is specific your sketch should work as an index to go back to the reading and find the answer...

On the CR section i gues you should first be calm... Read the question first and after that Read critically ! picture yourself into the shoes of the author (s)... Why are they telling you this ? Why are they wrong? do you agree or disagree? are they giving you sufficient evidence to back up their arguments?... Understand the idea and imagine yourself as part of that conversation!

Well... I guess I can only wish you LUCK.. And remember if you end up with a low score again... you have another chance!

Good Luck
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 84 [1] , given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: It seems that my world is ended. :( [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2010, 07:27
This post received
KUDOS
Hi SoniaSaini,

I understand your feelings. It is obviously difficult to focus properly on gmat prep while working at the same time. Moreover, the verbal is definitely difficult.

I think your prep material were good enough, what I suggest to help you is the following:
-first: don't get discouraged, if your score is not high enough for your targets, consider retaking it, but keep enough time to work on it, maybe schedule it on the end of your next vacations. Now, you have the experience of taking it once, it is very valuable to arrive on d-day knowing what will happen.
-second: keep an error log for you to track the mistake you ve done. This is a great tool to improve your score.
-third: try to read as much as you can on your way to work, before going to bed, etc... this can help you improve RC skills, as well as halp you improve your english level.
You can also consider watching movies or documentary, which is a fairly fun way to listen to english.

I wish you all the best, and please don't feel disheartened, the most important thing now is to learn from your results, and improve that.
Let us know if you need more help.

Cheers

If you find the post useful, don't be shy and Kudo me ;)

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 84 [1] , given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: It seems that my world is ended. :( [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2010, 03:18
This post received
KUDOS
I think Sonia might be a lady... :P

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: It seems that my world is ended. :( [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2010, 11:33
This post received
KUDOS
mattapraveen wrote:
rafilla442000 wrote:

rafilla442000,
Dude....i admire your will power and dedication man!!!!Hats off to you....... Gave 5 GMATs over a period of say...2-3 yrs!!!!! I am not surprised it affected your personal life. This monster really takes a toll on ones professional and personal life. My last 4 months have just passed of with no excitement. Cant wait to nail this exam one more final time.

Glad about you reaching your target score.

Which schools did you apply in R1 and which schools are you applying in R2? Any interview calls from R1 and any admit offers?

Thanks mattapraveen!

Things were very difficult for me! But I finally did it!
As part of my strategy I only applied to first and early rounds! I applied to the following schools:
First picks: Fuqua and Tuck
Second picks (plan b): Georgetown and McCombs
Third pick (plan c): Manchester

And it went like this:
- Fuqua: Accepted !!!!! I already paid the school to hold my spot!!! I'm going to NC next year! I'm overjoyed!!!)
- Tuck: Will know later today (probably dinged they have been calling since yesterday)
- Manchester: Accepted with scolarship
- McDonough: Interview invite
- McCombs: nothing do far (I suspect I will be dinged I applied two months ago)

The best of the lucks with the GMAT!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: It seems that my world is ended. :( [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2010, 22:39
This post received
KUDOS
Hey rafilla442000,
Thank you very much for sharing your G-story with me. You're correct.I was totally lost that day.I'm still taking time to come out from it.Actually,I was over confident that day and got nervous when I saw entire questions were easy.
I got a very good lesson from my first G-exam,which I'm gonna apply to in my next attempt.In 2011, I've to join B-school (Top 25 either India or US/UK) no more delay. I'll keep you update.
Your G-story is really very inspiring.
All the best. +1 kudos from my side.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Waaayyy....in the future - Booth!!
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 14

Re: It seems that my world is ended. :( [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2011, 20:46
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks!! You are a really nice person. And I know you will succeed too!!!
All the best!! :)
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: It seems that my world is ended. :( [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2011, 20:57
This post received
KUDOS
Sednima wrote:
Thanks!! You are a really nice person. And I know you will succeed too!!!
All the best!! :)

Thank you very much,Sednima.

Do well!!! keep us update about your exam.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: It seems that my world is ended. :( [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2010, 08:25
Thanks a lot vyassaptarashi/drisss.
You both are correct and agree with you.same thing I was thinking that how can I improve my verbal score When I did not improve last 6 months. Yes,I took coaching class for verbal. but as we know what happens in coaching class. Any ways,I'll more concentrate on CR and RC part now.

I've given my kudos both of you.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: It seems that my world is ended. :( [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2010, 08:39
You're welcome, good luck with your prep
cheers

Schools: Carey '16
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 71

GMAT Tests User
Re: It seems that my world is ended. :( [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2010, 19:49
don't worry about it man. the verbal is a hard portion of the GMAT. if it makes you feel any better, schools are more focused on the quant than on the verbal. but i would still suggest you study and retake it. you can do better most definitely!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: It seems that my world is ended. :( [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2010, 04:00
Thank you so much mattapraveen. I've given to you Kudos.
I'm trying to cheer up my mood but no success. Just some stupid thing is running in my mind that If I would have invested that amount I could have saved my tax. any ways. I will not give up now.I'll get my dream score another 2 months.

But When I saw drisss note I got smile :) .Thanks a lot driss. Yes,I'm female.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: It seems that my world is ended. :( [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2010, 04:05
hehe: that would be an excelent critical reasoning question :p
Good luck Sonia, just keep us posted if you need further help.
Cheers

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 19

Re: It seems that my world is ended. :( [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2010, 04:33
SoniaSaini wrote:
I'm trying to cheer up my mood but no success. Just some stupid thing is running in my mind that If I would have invested that amount I could have saved my tax. any ways. I will not give up now.I'll get my dream score another 2 months.

Glad my words are of some help to you. Thanks for the kudos. :)
Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth, Columbia, Kellogg,INSEAD, LBS
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 1

Re: It seems that my world is ended. :( [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2010, 06:36
Hi sonia,
You seem to have the right set of material. However,if your posts are anything to go by, I see major scope for improvement in your Verbal skills. As mattapraveen said, read some of the non-GMAT related books .That's the way to start .Refer to "GMAT Fiction" forum.

My 760 debrief

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: It seems that my world is ended. :( [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2010, 08:52
I think you should focus on try trying to understand how gmat works. Its not about doing 1 million questions, its about getting to the bottom of the logic and understanding of GMAT. Spend more time working out why your answers are wrong and the other answers are also wrong. Remember, especially with the language sections, its not about the right answer, its actually about killing the wrong answers, and the only one left is right!

Best of luck, and don't give up hope. I went up 130 between gmat writes, so huge improvements are possible when you really figure out GMAT is looking for!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 19

Re: It seems that my world is ended. :( [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2010, 09:07
mattapraveen wrote:
SoniaSaini wrote:

Glad my words are of some help to you. Thanks for the kudos. :)

You might want to consider going through e-gmat SC course. It costs $USD39. It goes through the basics of SC through a slide show presentation. Unlike the many books we have, it gives plenty of examples and also good no of questions to solve.

They have couple of slides which you can access for free. Check them out. I found it impressive.

Regards
Re: It seems that my world is ended. :(   [#permalink] 15 Dec 2010, 09:07