Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Dec 2014, 20:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

It takes 6 days for 3 women and 2 men working together to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
WE: Science (Education)
Followers: 76

Kudos [?]: 551 [0], given: 43

Re: Time n Work Problem [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2012, 10:06
Bunuel wrote:
sam2010 wrote:
Bunel-I got a quadratic equation while solving these two eqn. Is there a simple way of solving them?

I also got quadratic equation (m^2-3m-180=0) and it wasn't too hard to solve (discriminant would be perfect square d=3^3+4*180=729=27^2) --> m=-12 or m=15.

Just a smal typo: in the discriminant, it should be 3^2 and not 3^3.

PhD in Applied Mathematics
Love GMAT Quant questions and running.

Director
Director

Re: It takes 6 days for 3 women and 2 men working together to [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2012, 10:53
virtualanimosity wrote:
It takes 6 days for 3 women and 2 men working together to complete a work.3 men would do the same work 5 days sooner than 9 women.How many times does the output of a man exceed that of a woman?

A. 3 times
B. 4 times
C. 5 times
D. 6 times
E. 7 times

The fastest and easiest way to solve this question was already proposed by IanStewart.

I am trying another algebraic approach.

Denote by W the rate of a woman, by M that of a men, and by T the time it takes 9 women to complete the work.
We have the following equations:
6(3W + 2M) = 9WT = 3M(T-5), or, after reducing by 3, 2(3W + 2M) = 3WT = M(T - 5).
We are looking for the ratio M/W which we can denote by n. Substituting in the above equations M = nW, we can write:
2(3W + 2nW) = 3WT = nW(T - 5).

Divide through by W, so 6 + 4n = 3T = nT - 5n. Solving for T (equality between the last two expressions) we obtain T=\frac{5n}{n-3}.
Taking the equality of the first two expressions, we get 6+4n=\frac{3\cdot{5}n}{n-3}.
From the possible answer choices we can deduce that n must be a positive integer.
We need \frac{15n}{n-3} to be a positive integer. We can see that n cannot be odd and it must be greater than 3.
We have to choose between B and D.
Only n = 6 works.

Answer D.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 4

Re: Time n Work Problem [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2012, 14:56
Bunuel wrote:
nonameee wrote:
Guys, even if you know the solution right away, it takes several minutes (definitely more than 3) to just write it down to find the answer. Is it a real GMAT question? Can something like that be expected on the real test?

Below is another solution which is a little bit faster.

It takes 6 days for 3 women and 2 men working together to complete a work.3 men would do the same work 5 days sooner than 9 women.How many times does the output of a man exceed that of a woman?
A. 3 times
B. 4 times
C. 5 times
D. 6 times
E. 7 times

Let one woman complete the job in w days and one man in m days. So the rate of 1 woman is \frac{1}{w} job/day and the rate of 1 man is \frac{1}{m} job/day.

It takes 6 days for 3 women and 2 men working together to complete a work --> sum the rates: \frac{3}{w}+\frac{2}{m}=\frac{1}{6}.

3 men would do the same work 5 days sooner than 9 women --> \frac{m}{3}+5=\frac{w}{9}.

Solving: m=15 and w=90. \frac{w}{m}=6.

Answer: D.

How did you solve for m and w in the very last part? I do the algebra and can't get the right answer. You have one equation with 2 unknown variables.
Director
Director

Re: Time n Work Problem [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2012, 22:39
Shawshank wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
nonameee wrote:
Guys, even if you know the solution right away, it takes several minutes (definitely more than 3) to just write it down to find the answer. Is it a real GMAT question? Can something like that be expected on the real test?

A. 3 times
B. 4 times
C. 5 times
D. 6 times
E. 7 times

Let one woman complete the job in w days and one man in m days. So the rate of 1 woman is \frac{1}{w} job/day and the rate of 1 man is \frac{1}{m} job/day.

It takes 6 days for 3 women and 2 men working together to complete a work --> sum the rates: \frac{3}{w}+\frac{2}{m}=\frac{1}{6}.

3 men would do the same work 5 days sooner than 9 women --> \frac{m}{3}+5=\frac{w}{9}.

How did you solve for m and w in the very last part? I do the algebra and can't get the right answer. You have one equation with 2 unknown variables.

You have 2 equations with two unknowns:
First equation \frac{3}{w}+\frac{2}{m}=\frac{1}{6}.
Second equation \frac{m}{3}+5=\frac{w}{9}.
After getting rid of the denominators (multiply first equation by 6wm and the second by 9), for example express w
from the second equation and substitute it into the first. You obtain a quadratic equation for m:

m^2-3m-180=0

This equation has one positive and one negative root. The sum of the two roots must be 3 and their product -180.
Using factorization for 180, you can find -12 and 15.
So m=15 and w=90.

For another algebraic approach see:
it-takes-6-days-for-3-women-and-2-men-working-together-to-82718.html#p1121807

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q0 V0
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 31

Re: It takes 6 days for 3 women and 2 men working together to [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2013, 13:51
Struggling to finish this in 3 minutes, did anyone manage to completely solve it within 3 mins?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 6

Re: Time n Work Problem [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2013, 15:57
nonameee wrote:

Completely agree... I did GMAT two years ago and by far the questions were not that complicated. Complicated, of course. But not that complicated. As you can see on my blog, studying GMAT is basically using the Official book and maybe one or two other books for reinforcement. Look for my advice. There is not "rocket science".

I also say GMAT preparation should not mean spending more than $100.

Does this post deserve KUDOS?

Free Prep: Self-prepare GMAT for free and GMAT Math tips for free
Free Flashcards: Free GMAT Flashcards

More: "All I wish someone had told me about GMAT beforehand"
There are many things you want to know before doing the GMAT exam (how is exam day, what to expect, how to think, to do's...), and you have them in this blog, in a simple way

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 47

Kudos [?]: 635 [0], given: 135

Premium Member
Re: It takes 6 days for 3 women and 2 men working together to [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 02:13
Expert's post
virtualanimosity wrote:

A. 3 times
B. 4 times
C. 5 times
D. 6 times
E. 7 times

Maybe a method only suitable for GMAT :

We know that Work = rate*time.

Let m = rate of work of each man in one day and so on for w(each women)

As the work done is the same for 3 men/9 women;

3*m*t = 9*w*(t+5)

or \frac{m}{w} = 3\frac{(t+5)}{t} = 3*(1+\frac{5}{t}) = 3+3*\frac{5}{t}

Now we go back to the options, and see that each of them is an integer. Thus, m/w, which is required can only be an integer and also a multiple of 3. The only multiple present can be 6, for t=5.

D.

All that is equal and not-Deep Dive In-equality

Hit and Trial for Integral Solutions

Last edited by mau5 on 05 Jul 2013, 01:28, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Time n Work Problem [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 06:11
Bunuel wrote:
sam2010 wrote:
Bunel-I got a quadratic equation while solving these two eqn. Is there a simple way of solving them?

I also got quadratic equation (m^2-3m-180=0) and it wasn't too hard to solve (discriminant would be perfect square d=3^3+4*180=729=27^2) --> m=-12 or m=15.

My friend, I'm ending up with 12w+18m=mw and 9m+135=3w

2/m+3/w=1/6

take lcm and you end up with 12w+18m=mw

same with m/3+5=w/9, I end up with 9m+135=3w

With that I get some very large numbers when trying to solve so I'm pretty sure I'm not doing it right.

Can anybody please help??
Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3802

Kudos [?]: 32793 [0], given: 3559

Re: It takes 6 days for 3 women and 2 men working together to [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2013, 01:27
Expert's post
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.3

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 268

Re: Time n Work Problem [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2013, 00:44
Bunuel wrote:
nonameee wrote:

A. 3 times
B. 4 times
C. 5 times
D. 6 times
E. 7 times

Can you please help me to understand on what logic did you make this explanation- 3 men would do the same work 5 days sooner than 9 women --> \frac{m}{3}+5=\frac{w}{9}.

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.
My Debrief: how-to-score-750-and-750-i-moved-from-710-to-189016.html

Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: Time n Work Problem [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2013, 01:07
Expert's post
honchos wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
nonameee wrote:

A. 3 times
B. 4 times
C. 5 times
D. 6 times
E. 7 times

Can you please help me to understand on what logic did you make this explanation- 3 men would do the same work 5 days sooner than 9 women --> \frac{m}{3}+5=\frac{w}{9}.

One man completes the job in m days --> 3 men in m/3 days.
One woman completes the job in w days --> 9 women in w/9 days.

We are told that m/3 is 5 less than w/9 --> \frac{m}{3}+5=\frac{w}{9}.

Hope it's clear.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.3

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 268

Re: Time n Work Problem [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2013, 01:11
Yes thanks, it was an ab initio approach, I thought some formula. Thanks a Lot.

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.
My Debrief: how-to-score-750-and-750-i-moved-from-710-to-189016.html

Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 670 Q39 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 40

Re: Time n Work Problem [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2013, 09:25
Bunuel wrote:
nonameee wrote:

A. 3 times
B. 4 times
C. 5 times
D. 6 times
E. 7 times

I'm just not having a good day here haha.... if the rate for 3 men to do the same work 5 days sooner than 9 woman, shouldn't the equation be \frac{3}{m}+5=\frac{9}{w}? Since the rate of 1 woman is 1/w, and for one man is 1/m. If you have 3 men, then you have 3/m, and if you have 9 women you have 9/w...
Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: Time n Work Problem [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2013, 09:37
Expert's post
AccipiterQ wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
nonameee wrote:

A. 3 times
B. 4 times
C. 5 times
D. 6 times
E. 7 times

I'm just not having a good day here haha.... if the rate for 3 men to do the same work 5 days sooner than 9 woman, shouldn't the equation be \frac{3}{m}+5=\frac{9}{w}? Since the rate of 1 woman is 1/w, and for one man is 1/m. If you have 3 men, then you have 3/m, and if you have 9 women you have 9/w...

Please check here: it-takes-6-days-for-3-women-and-2-men-working-together-to-82718-20.html#p1272526

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Current Student

Re: Time n Work Problem [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2013, 09:50
Bunuel wrote:
nonameee wrote:

A. 3 times
B. 4 times
C. 5 times
D. 6 times
E. 7 times

Thanks for previous reply. I'm getting stuck at this point though...so the party I've highlighted in green, is that even necessary to solve? The part in red seems to be the key, and then did you just keep plugging numbers in until you got the solution for the blue? I see you said "solving:" before that line, but there's no computations, is it just fairly simple plugging in of numbers?
Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: Time n Work Problem [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2013, 09:56
Expert's post
AccipiterQ wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
nonameee wrote:

A. 3 times
B. 4 times
C. 5 times
D. 6 times
E. 7 times

Thanks for previous reply. I'm getting stuck at this point though...so the party I've highlighted in green, is that even necessary to solve? The part in red seems to be the key, and then did you just keep plugging numbers in until you got the solution for the blue? I see you said "solving:" before that line, but there's no computations, is it just fairly simple plugging in of numbers?

You need to solve. Check here: it-takes-6-days-for-3-women-and-2-men-working-together-to-82718-20.html#p1123335 (Please read a topic entirely, this might help in many cases).

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Current Student

Re: Time n Work Problem [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2013, 10:08
Bunuel wrote:

A. 3 times
B. 4 times
C. 5 times
D. 6 times
E. 7 times

I think the part I'm getting confused by is this:

Bunuel wrote:
So the rate of 1 woman is \frac{1}{w} job/day and the rate of 1 man is \frac{1}{m} job/day.

I get that part.

Bunuel wrote:

I get this part as well, because 3*\frac{1}{w}= \frac{3}{w}, and the same for the men's rate. But here's where I get lost:

Bunuel wrote:

Using the logic from the second quote, 3 men doing the same work 5 days sooner than 9 women would be 3*\frac{1}{m}+5 = 9*\frac{1}{w}. I don't understand how we can just switch whether the multiplier goes in the numerator or the denominator like that. Because their work rates are remaining the same; 1 man will do 1/m no matter what, so 3 men should always do 3/m, not m/3.
Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: Time n Work Problem [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2013, 10:12
Expert's post
AccipiterQ wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

A. 3 times
B. 4 times
C. 5 times
D. 6 times
E. 7 times

Bunuel wrote:
So the rate of 1 woman is \frac{1}{w} job/day and the rate of 1 man is \frac{1}{m} job/day.

I get that part.

Bunuel wrote:

I get this part as well, because 3*\frac{1}{w}= \frac{3}{w}, and the same for the men's rate. But here's where I get lost:

Bunuel wrote:

Using the logic from the second quote, 3 men doing the same work 5 days sooner than 9 women would be 3*\frac{1}{m}+5 = 9*\frac{1}{w}. I don't understand how we can just switch whether the multiplier goes in the numerator or the denominator like that. Because their work rates are remaining the same; 1 man will do 1/m no matter what, so 3 men should always do 3/m, not m/3.

That part is explained here: it-takes-6-days-for-3-women-and-2-men-working-together-to-82718-20.html#p1272526

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Current Student

Re: Time n Work Problem [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2013, 10:15
Bunuel wrote:
AccipiterQ wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

A. 3 times
B. 4 times
C. 5 times
D. 6 times
E. 7 times

Bunuel wrote:

I get that part.

Bunuel wrote:

Bunuel wrote:

That part is explained here: it-takes-6-days-for-3-women-and-2-men-working-together-to-82718-20.html#p1272526

ooooh wait, I get it now, if you have 3 men working at rate m, then it will take 1/3 as long to complete their portion as a single man would do. Whereas in the other quote, you're just using the rate of 1/m, and then not adjusting the rate, just stating that 2 of them working at that rate will complete a job in 2/m, and in the green quote, we have the actual number of days it takes given, whereas in the last quote we only have each gender's rate for comparison. Yes?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 1987

Re: It takes 6 days for 3 women and 2 men working together to [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2013, 10:08
This looks like a crazy question.
I got
3/w + 2/m = 1/6 and m/3 = w/9 - 5 and I can't solve both of these two equations under 2 minutes.
Re: It takes 6 days for 3 women and 2 men working together to   [#permalink] 26 Oct 2013, 10:08