Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:28 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618811 [3]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22047 [2]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Re: It takes 6 days for 3 women and 2 men working together to [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
virtualanimosity wrote:
It takes 6 days for 3 women and 2 men working together to complete a work. 3 men would do the same work 5 days sooner than 9 women. How many times does the output of a man exceed that of a woman?

A. 3 times
B. 4 times
C. 5 times
D. 6 times
E. 7 times

We can let the number of days for 1 man to finish the work = m and that for 1 woman = w. Thus, the rate of 1 man = 1/m and the rate of 1 woman = 1/w.

Since it takes 6 days for 3 women and 2 men working together to complete the work, we have:

6(3/w + 2/m) = 1

Since 3 men would do the same work 5 days sooner than 9 women, we have:

1/(3/m) + 5 = 1/(9/w)

m/3 + 5 = w/9

Multiplying the above by 9, we have:

3m + 45 = w

Substituting this into 6(3/w + 2/m) = 1, we have:

6(3/(3m + 45) + 2/m) = 1

6(1/(m + 15) + 2/m) = 1

Multiplying the above by m(m + 15), we have:

6m + 12(m + 15) = m(m + 15)

6m + 12m + 180 = m^2 + 15m

m^2 - 3m - 180 = 0

(m - 15)(m + 12) = 0

m = 15 or m = -12

Since m can’t be negative, m = 15. So w = 3(15) + 45 = 90. We see that it takes a man 15 days to complete the work but 90 days for a woman to complete the same work. So a man’s output is 6 times the output of a woman.

Answer: D
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13387 [2]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
virtualanimosity wrote:
It takes 6 days for 3 women and 2 men working together to complete a work. 3 men would do the same work 5 days sooner than 9 women. How many times does the output of a man exceed that of a woman?

A. 3 times
B. 4 times
C. 5 times
D. 6 times
E. 7 times

Please find attached the solution
Attachments

File comment: www.GMATinsight.com
Screenshot 2018-11-08 at 12.23.23 PM.png
Screenshot 2018-11-08 at 12.23.23 PM.png [ 759.01 KiB | Viewed 5710 times ]

VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [0]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
virtualanimosity wrote:

A. 3 times
B. 4 times
C. 5 times
D. 6 times
E. 7 times

3w+2m= 1/6 (in one day )

NEXT: 3 men would do the same work 5 days sooner than 9 women , SO let X be the job done by woman and let x-5 be the work done by men

HENCE: \(\frac{1}{x}- \frac{1}{(x-5)} = \frac{x-5-x}{x(x-5)}\) i.e \(\frac{-5}{x(x-5)}\) (i know i got negative in numerator but still continued solving further :lol: )

\(\frac{-5}{x(x-5)}\) = \(\frac{1}{6}\) cross multiply

\(x(x-5)=-30\)

\(x\) = \(\frac{-30}{x(x-5)}\) now if i divide -30 by -5 i get 6. this was my solution to correct answer :grin:

Bunuel, pushpitkc generis do you think my solution is correct ? :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
virtualanimosity wrote:

A. 3 times
B. 4 times
C. 5 times
D. 6 times
E. 7 times

Hello all,

I couldn't solve this question within time. But i did attempt it the following manner and got the answer right. Can someone tell me if this approach is correct/incorrect?

Let the work be W.

Now, based on the data provided
- one man can do 1/3 of W
- one woman can do 1/9 of W

Here i am now assuming a number for W - let's say the work needed to be done is eating 27 pies. i.e. W=27

So one man can eat 9 pies and one woman can eat 3 pies.

Because the question asks How many times does the output of a man exceed that of a woman?, I have understood this as Output of a man (9 pies) is x more than output of a woman (3 pies).
so 9 = 3+x therefore, X=6.

Let me know if this makes sense or I was just lucky to get the answer right (won't work all the time)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
Hi Bunuel,

I have no trouble setting up the two equations. However, I don’t know how to solve them quickly and efficiently since w and m are found in the denominators of the 1st equation and in the numerators of the 2nd equation. Please help! Thank you so much

Bunuel wrote:
nonameee wrote:
Guys, even if you know the solution right away, it takes several minutes (definitely more than 3) to just write it down to find the answer. Is it a real GMAT question? Can something like that be expected on the real test?

Below is another solution which is a little bit faster.

It takes 6 days for 3 women and 2 men working together to complete a work.3 men would do the same work 5 days sooner than 9 women.How many times does the output of a man exceed that of a woman?
A. 3 times
B. 4 times
C. 5 times
D. 6 times
E. 7 times

Let one woman complete the job in \(w\) days and one man in \(m\) days. So the rate of 1 woman is \(\frac{1}{w}\) job/day and the rate of 1 man is \(\frac{1}{m}\) job/day.

It takes 6 days for 3 women and 2 men working together to complete a work --> sum the rates: \(\frac{3}{w}+\frac{2}{m}=\frac{1}{6}\).

3 men would do the same work 5 days sooner than 9 women --> \(\frac{m}{3}+5=\frac{w}{9}\).

Solving: \(m=15\) and \(w=90\). \(\frac{w}{m}=6\).

Answer: D.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13387 [0]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Rurugu wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

I have no trouble setting up the two equations. However, I don’t know how to solve them quickly and efficiently since w and m are found in the denominators of the 1st equation and in the numerators of the 2nd equation. Please help! Thank you so much

Bunuel wrote:
nonameee wrote:
Guys, even if you know the solution right away, it takes several minutes (definitely more than 3) to just write it down to find the answer. Is it a real GMAT question? Can something like that be expected on the real test?

It takes 6 days for 3 women and 2 men working together to complete a work.3 men would do the same work 5 days sooner than 9 women.How many times does the output of a man exceed that of a woman?
A. 3 times
B. 4 times
C. 5 times
D. 6 times
E. 7 times

Let one woman complete the job in \(w\) days and one man in \(m\) days. So the rate of 1 woman is \(\frac{1}{w}\) job/day and the rate of 1 man is \(\frac{1}{m}\) job/day.

It takes 6 days for 3 women and 2 men working together to complete a work --> sum the rates: \(\frac{3}{w}+\frac{2}{m}=\frac{1}{6}\).

3 men would do the same work 5 days sooner than 9 women --> \(\frac{m}{3}+5=\frac{w}{9}\).

Posted from my mobile device

Rurugu You can refer to my method as well if it looks any easier to you.

Link is here...

https://gmatclub.com/forum/it-takes-6-d ... l#p2167832
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 320 [0]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
It takes 6 days for 3 women and 2 men working together to [#permalink]
Solving quadratic equations, especially when they involve large numbers and need a lot of calculations to form the equation in the first place, is quite time-consuming and the likelihood of calculation errors is also quite high. I doubt whether problems like this can be solved within the GMAT time-frame in the conventional manner. However, there is a much quicker way of solving this problem with a bit of logic and by taking a few hints from the answer choices:

Let the time taken by 3 men to do the work be 'x' days.
Then, the time taken by 9 women to do the work is (x+5) days which means time taken for 3 women will be 3(x+5) days. If M and W are the speeds or rates of men and women respectively, then:
M/W = 3(x+5)/x. In other words, a man is 3(x+5)/x times faster than a woman.
3(x+5)/x = 3 + 15/x. Since all the answer options are whole numbers 'x' must be a factor of 15, i.e. either 3, 5 or 15. It can't be 3 because that would make a man 8(3+5) times faster (7 is the highest option).
x=15 would mean that 3 men complete the work in 15 days or 5 men complete in (3*15)/5=9 days. But we know that 3 women and 2 men complete in 6 days. Since men are faster than women so, if we substitute the 3 women by 3 men and we have 5 men working on the job it can be finished in less than 6 days. So 'x' cannot be 15 which leaves only 5 as the only possible value for 'x'. So a man is (3 + 15/5) = 3 +3 = 6 times faster than a woman.

Ans: D
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4096 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
virtualanimosity wrote:

A. 3 times
B. 4 times
C. 5 times
D. 6 times
E. 7 times

given total work
5x/6=1/6
or say x=1/5
so for 3 men = 5+ 9 women
3*1/5*x = 5+9/5
3x=18
i.e 6 times
IMO D
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Archit3110

Could you please explain the assumptions underlying your answer? For example, what does 'x' stand for? I am a bit confused because first you got
x=1/5 and then you got x=6. A detailed explanation would help us understand the process through which you arrived at your answer. Thanks.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22047 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
virtualanimosity wrote:

A. 3 times
B. 4 times
C. 5 times
D. 6 times
E. 7 times

We can let m = the number of days a man can complete the work by himself and w = the number of days a woman can complete the work by herself. Thus, 1/m = the rate of a man, and 1/w = the rate of a woman.

We can create the equations

6(3 x 1/w + 2 x 1/m) = 1

and

1/(3 x 1/m) = 1/(9 x 1/w) - 5

Simplifying the first equation, we have:

3/w + 2/m = 1/6

Multiplying the equation by 6wm, we have:

18m + 12w = mw

Simplifying the second equation, we have:

m/3 = w/9 - 5

Multiplying the equation by 9, we have:

3m = w - 45

3m + 45 = w

Substituting this in 18m + 12w = mw, we have:

18m + 12(3m + 45) = m(3m + 45)

18m + 36m + 540 = 3m^2 + 45m

3m^2 - 9m - 540 = 0

m^2 - 3m - 180 = 0

(m - 15)(m + 12) = 0

m = 15 or m = -12

Since m can’t be negative, m = 15. Hence, w = 3(15) + 45 = 90. We see that a man’s rate is 6 times that of a woman’s rate since the number of days a man can complete the job is only 1/6 of the number of days a woman can complete the job.

Answer: D
Manager
Manager
Send PM
maelstroem wrote:
First set : 3/w+2/m=1/6
Second set: 3/m = 1/x and 9/w=1/(x+5)
==> 1/m = 1/3x and 1/w = 1/9(x+5)
Enter in first equation and solve for x
1/(3x+15) + 2/3x = 1/6
simplify => x^2-x-20=0
solve for x : x=(1 +- (1+80)^,5)/2= (1+- 9)/2.
X can only be positive ==> x= 5
enter in 2nd set ==> 3/m=1/5 and 9/w=1/10 => 3/2m=9/w => m/w=1/6

I did it in a similar manner. I assumed that 3 men can complete in 'x' days which means that 9 women can complete in (x+5) days and, working forward from there, got the same equation:
x^2 - x - 20 = 0. What I want to point out here is that in this type of quadratic equation where factorization is possible it is quicker to factorize:

x^2 -x -20 = 0...> x^2 - 5x + 4x - 20 = 0...> x(x-5) + 4(x-5) = 0...> (x-5)(x+4) = 0. x=5
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3964 [0]
Given Kudos: 160
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Given: It takes 6 days for 3 women and 2 men working together to complete a work. 3 men would do the same work 5 days sooner than 9 women.
Asked: How many times does the output of a man exceed that of a woman?

Let a man complete the work in m days and a women complete the same work in w days.

It takes 6 days for 3 women and 2 men working together to complete a work.
3/w + 2/m = 1/6

3 men would do the same work 5 days sooner than 9 women.
m/3 + 5 = w/9

m = 15; w = 90 is the solution

IMO D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 572
Send PM
Can you write out the bolded "solving" portion below? Bunuel

Bunuel wrote:
nonameee wrote:

A. 3 times
B. 4 times
C. 5 times
D. 6 times
E. 7 times

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 227
Send PM
It takes 6 days for 3 women and 2 men working together to [#permalink]
testtakerstrategy wrote:
Can you write out the bolded "solving" portion below? Bunuel

+1

I just cant get it right. I understand the concept until it comes to solving the equation.

I get x = 18 and y = 54. I would appreciate if someone could show how to solve this to arrive at the correct answer.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 445 [0]
Given Kudos: 725
Schools: NUS '25 (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Bunuel, I think the answer to this question should be 5 and not 6. As it is worded, the question asks "How many times does the output of a man exceed that of a woman?" When we get m/w as 6, it means that "the output of a man is 6 times that of a woman"

To calculate how many times 6 exceeds 1, I think what we should be doing is (6-1)/1, can you please suggest if this is right?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
Math Expert
92900 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts