Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 00:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

It takes the heat of large stars or supernovae to cause

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, Other
GPA: 2.44
WE: Project Management (Telecommunications)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 171 [1] , given: 323

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
It takes the heat of large stars or supernovae to cause [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2013, 15:19
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

44% (02:46) correct 56% (01:26) wrong based on 249 sessions
It takes the heat of large stars or supernovae to cause the fusion of magnesium with hydrogen, creating a chemically stable aluminum. Since aluminum is one of the most abundant elements on Earth, it can be inferred that, at least at some point, the temperature inside or outside Earth was comparable to that on large stars or supernovae.

Which of the following, if true, causes most damage to the conclusion of the argument above?

(A)Creation of stable aluminum requires distinct pressure conditions not typical of contemporary Earth.

(B)Some of the aluminum found on Earth was brought here with asteroids or other cosmic bodies that were parts of large stars or supernovae.

(C)Most aluminum on Earth comes in oxides, and native aluminum can be found only in low oxygen environments.

(D)Aluminum found on Earth has several vacant electrons that have to be artificially removed in order for it to become chemically stable.

(E)Magnesium itself can only be formed under strictly defined conditions.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [2] , given: 317

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: It takes the heat of large stars or supernovae to cause [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2013, 20:31
This post received
KUDOS
guerrero25 wrote:
It takes the heat of large stars or supernovae to cause the fusion of magnesium with hydrogen, creating a chemically stable aluminum. Since aluminum is one of the most abundant elements on Earth, it can be inferred that, at least at some point, the temperature inside or outside Earth was comparable to that on large stars or supernovae.

Which of the following, if true, causes most damage to the conclusion of the argument above?

(A)Creation of stable aluminum requires distinct pressure conditions not typical of contemporary Earth.

(B)Some of the aluminum found on Earth was brought here with asteroids or other cosmic bodies that were parts of large stars or supernovae.

(C)Most aluminum on Earth comes in oxides, and native aluminum can be found only in low oxygen environments.

(D)Aluminum found on Earth has several vacant electrons that have to be artificially removed in order for it to become chemically stable.

IMO (D)
(A)Creation of stable aluminum requires distinct pressure conditions not typical of contemporary Earth.Out of scope

(C)Most aluminum on Earth comes in oxides, and native aluminum can be found only in low oxygen environments.-Out of scope

(E)Magnesium itself can only be formed under strictly defined conditions.-Out of scope

Down to (B) and (D)
"Since aluminum is one of the most abundant elements on Earth"-Even if some of the aluminium was bought by asteroids or other cosmic bodies that were parts of large stars or supernovae- what about the major part of it.??

Now analyzing (D)
we have to weaken that temperature on earth was almost the same as that of stars or supernova...means if thats the case the aluminium found on Earth should not be chemically stable.. (D) clearly says that...

Preparing for another shot...

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 110

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: It takes the heat of large stars or supernovae to cause [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2013, 20:36
guerrero25 wrote:

OA to follow Soon

What is OA? Confused between C and D..will go with C though.

Conclusion : the temperature inside or outside Earth was comparable to that on large stars or supernovae

Incorrect..It talks about contemporary earth, so still the temperature could have been like star in the past

this give reason only for 'some' of AL, we are concerned for large quantities of AL.

since native AL can be found only in low O2 env and it also contain O2..there is high chance that it was imported or there is some other process which may not require high temp..still not 100% sure

Here there is an additional process explained for AL to be chemically stable which may require intense heat. this infact supports the conclusion

Out of scope. We have no idea or concern on how Mg is formed.

“Confidence comes not from always being right but from not fearing to be wrong.”

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 136

Kudos [?]: 1374 [1] , given: 122

Re: It takes the heat of large stars or supernovae to cause [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2013, 22:15
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
This question requires you to read it carefully.

ANALYZE THE STIMULUS:

Fact: The heat of large stars or supernovae ==> the fusion of magnesium with hydrogen ==> creating a chemically stable aluminum. KEY word: "STABLE aluminum". Not aluminum in general.
Fact: Aluminum is one of the most abundant elements on Earth,
Conclusion: At least at some point, the temperature inside or outside Earth was comparable to that on large stars or supernovae.

Question: Which of the following, if true, causes most damage to the conclusion of the argument above?

ANALYZE EACH ANSWER:

Wrong. "not typical of contemporary Earth" does not mean the creating of stable aluminum did not happen in the past.

Wrong. "Some" does not mean "all". Let say 1/2 of the aluminum was brought to the Earth by asteroid, other 1/2 of aluminum created by temperature inside or outside Earth ==> The conclusion is true.
Other reason to eliminate: B only talks about "aluminum", not "STABLE aluminum" ==> We can't say anything about the creating of stable aluminum on Earth.

Wrong. Out of scope.

Correct. D shows that STABLE aluminum can be created artificially on Earth, not by temperature inside or outside Earth.

Wrong. E supports the conclusion a bit.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 105

CAT Tests
Re: It takes the heat of large stars or supernovae to cause [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2013, 05:51
How is C out of scope? Can anyone explain in detail?
My reasoning:
The argument says that high heat or supernova temperature inside or outside the Earth is responsible for the creation of aluminium but C says that aluminium is present in low oxygen areas, maybe the presence of low oxygen area has an affect and this makes aluminium. This can be an alternate cause.
Where am I wrong?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Followers: 311

Kudos [?]: 2608 [1] , given: 696

Re: It takes the heat of large stars or supernovae to cause [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2013, 09:25
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
mahendru1992 wrote:
My reasoning:
The argument says that high heat or supernova temperature inside or outside the Earth is responsible for the creation of aluminium but C says that aluminium is present in low oxygen areas, maybe the presence of low oxygen area has an affect and this makes aluminium. This can be an alternate cause.
Where am I wrong?

simply because the gist of the argument says this: aluminum is the result of fusion at certain point on a time line and this process is equal to that on other planets
this is false: to have aluminium we have to do something of artificial in a siderurgic plant

C says: where the aluminum WHERE is founded............is completely unrelated to weaken the conclusion

hope this shelps you

by the way: do you agree that it is a 700 level question ?? please let me know

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 105

CAT Tests
Re: It takes the heat of large stars or supernovae to cause [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2013, 10:40
This post received
KUDOS
carcass wrote:
mahendru1992 wrote:
My reasoning:
Where am I wrong?

simply because the gist of the argument says this: aluminum is the result of fusion at certain point on a time line and this process is equal to that on other planets
this is false: to have aluminium we have to do something of artificial in a siderurgic plant

C says: where the aluminum WHERE is founded............is completely unrelated to weaken the conclusion

hope this shelps you

Thanks now i understand my mistake. Ahmm and about the difficulty level of the question, well i'm not sure I'm the right guy to ask since I'm not really good at CR. But IMO it is a near 700 level question
Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 2608 [0], given: 696

Re: It takes the heat of large stars or supernovae to cause [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2013, 10:43
Expert's post
mahendru1992 wrote:
carcass wrote:
mahendru1992 wrote:
My reasoning:
Where am I wrong?

hope this shelps you

Thanks now i understand my mistake. Ahmm and about the difficulty level of the question, well i'm not sure I'm the right guy to ask since I'm not really good at CR. But IMO it is a near 700 level question

infact it was a rethoric question to you but also to other students :)

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Manager
Manager

CAT Tests
Re: It takes the heat of large stars or supernovae to cause [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2013, 10:51
carcass wrote:

hahaha damn! well that did it :P

P.S Do you have some tips on how to score well in the CR Section. Because I'm consistently performing poor. I get around 2/5 700 level questions correct. How do I improve? Really frustrated :(
Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 2608 [0], given: 696

Re: It takes the heat of large stars or supernovae to cause [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2013, 11:31
Expert's post
mahendru1992 wrote:
carcass wrote:

hahaha damn! well that did it :P

P.S Do you have some tips on how to score well in the CR Section. Because I'm consistently performing poor. I get around 2/5 700 level questions correct. How do I improve? Really frustrated :(

and easiest question ?' what is your rate ??

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS

Manager
Manager

CAT Tests
Re: It takes the heat of large stars or supernovae to cause [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2013, 11:36
carcass wrote:
[/quote][/quote]

Well on an average 4/5 mostly 5/5. But the problem lies with the 700 level questions.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 2608 [1] , given: 696

Re: It takes the heat of large stars or supernovae to cause [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2013, 11:45
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
mahendru1992 wrote:
carcass wrote:
[/quote]

Well on an average 4/5 mostly 5/5. But the problem lies with the 700 level questions.[/quote]

well i do not see the problem, to some extent.

I mean: people think that this is just a test about how many difficult questions i pick right ?? yeah, but this is wrong

The test is really complex. The most part of the students not even see that level because a bunch of variables come into the picture : stress, timing, even a word that is not understood and you have difficulties with that question, even if that question is not a 700 level.

The key is to pick right each low middle and middle upper level. in that way you are in an upper level stage that if you pick a 700 level question this one hurts you less than a 500 level. this is the game.

Back to your specific question I would say: read verey super carefully the question, trying to make it own as you are in that scenario and from here move further through the answer choices. Understanding the whole picture and not to use only your sets of strategy: for weaken question i have to weaken only the conclusion: this is fasle. understanding the whole scenario is the first rule to follow.

hope this helps you

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS

Manager
Manager

CAT Tests
Re: It takes the heat of large stars or supernovae to cause [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2013, 11:50
Quote:

Well on an average 4/5 mostly 5/5. But the problem lies with the 700 level questions.

well i do not see the problem, to some extent.

I mean: people think that this is just a test about how many difficult questions i pick right ?? yeah, but this is wrong

The test is really complex. The most part of the students not even see that level because a bunch of variables come into the picture : stress, timing, even a word that is not understood and you have difficulties with that question, even if that question is not a 700 level.

The key is to pick right each low middle and middle upper level. in that way you are in an upper level stage that if you pick a 700 level question this one hurts you less than a 500 level. this is the game.

Back to your specific question I would say: read verey super carefully the question, trying to make it own as you are in that scenario and from here move further through the answer choices. Understanding the whole picture and not to use only your sets of strategy: for weaken question i have to weaken only the conclusion: this is fasle. understanding the whole scenario is the first rule to follow.

hope this helps you

Thanks for the advice carcass. I was always under the assumption that I had to score all 700 level questions to get a good score
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 2608 [2] , given: 696

Re: It takes the heat of large stars or supernovae to cause [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2013, 11:59
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
the test works more or less like this:

questions one through six or so are of an increasing level

7 ---> 10 are difficult. this because the test tries to set a plateau for each student.

after this the test goes up and down from this plateau; it depends on how you respond to those questions.

around 25 or so (more or less) there is the confirmation stage: where your score is confirmed by the tes itself.

as you can see whwnever you reach THAT plateau after the 10th question if you are in an upper level zone even with question picked wrong you have that score.

coverserly: if you are not able to reach that plateau no matter what you do well AFTER, your score is already that. period.

I would be worried about more to have a strong plateau instead to pick a 700 level right and all the rest wrong; even becasue if you do not reach that upper level stage you never see a 700 level.

All that doesn't mean that 700 level question are not important, this is not true at all. only that for how the test works they are a chimera if you do not do well BEFORE.

;)

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS

Manager
Manager
Schools: IIMA

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 63

Re: It takes the heat of large stars or supernovae to cause [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2014, 04:39
Indeed a good question, key to solve this question is "STABLE aluminum" -D says earth does not have stable aluminium it has to modify etc............so it says stable aluminium was never exist in earth --->i.e. earth will not be having similar environment of heat of large stars or supernovae

Hope that helps :)

If you are not over prepared then you are under prepared !!!

Re: It takes the heat of large stars or supernovae to cause   [#permalink] 26 Jul 2014, 04:39