Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:19 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4418 [26]
Given Kudos: 325
Concentration: Technology, Other
GPA: 2.44
WE:Project Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [3]
Given Kudos: 559
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 255 [1]
Given Kudos: 109
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [2]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Re: It takes the heat of large stars or supernovae to cause the fusion of [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
This question requires you to read it carefully.

ANALYZE THE STIMULUS:

Fact: The heat of large stars or supernovae ==> the fusion of magnesium with hydrogen ==> creating a chemically stable aluminum. KEY word: "STABLE aluminum". Not aluminum in general.
Fact: Aluminum is one of the most abundant elements on Earth,
Conclusion: At least at some point, the temperature inside or outside Earth was comparable to that on large stars or supernovae.

Question: Which of the following, if true, causes most damage to the conclusion of the argument above?

ANALYZE EACH ANSWER:

(A)Creation of stable aluminum requires distinct pressure conditions not typical of contemporary Earth.
Wrong. "not typical of contemporary Earth" does not mean the creating of stable aluminum did not happen in the past.

(B)Some of the aluminum found on Earth was brought here with asteroids or other cosmic bodies that were parts of large stars or supernovae.
Wrong. "Some" does not mean "all". Let say 1/2 of the aluminum was brought to the Earth by asteroid, other 1/2 of aluminum created by temperature inside or outside Earth ==> The conclusion is true.
Other reason to eliminate: B only talks about "aluminum", not "STABLE aluminum" ==> We can't say anything about the creating of stable aluminum on Earth.

(C)Most aluminum on Earth comes in oxides, and native aluminum can be found only in low oxygen environments.
Wrong. Out of scope.

(D)Aluminum found on Earth has several vacant electrons that have to be artificially removed in order for it to become chemically stable.
Correct. D shows that STABLE aluminum can be created artificially on Earth, not by temperature inside or outside Earth.

(E)Magnesium itself can only be formed under strictly defined conditions.
Wrong. E supports the conclusion a bit.

Hope it helps.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32870 [1]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Re: It takes the heat of large stars or supernovae to cause the fusion of [#permalink]
Kudos
mahendru1992 wrote:
How is C out of scope? Can anyone explain in detail?
My reasoning:
The argument says that high heat or supernova temperature inside or outside the Earth is responsible for the creation of aluminium but C says that aluminium is present in low oxygen areas, maybe the presence of low oxygen area has an affect and this makes aluminium. This can be an alternate cause.
Where am I wrong?

simply because the gist of the argument says this: aluminum is the result of fusion at certain point on a time line and this process is equal to that on other planets
this is false: to have aluminium we have to do something of artificial in a siderurgic plant

C says: where the aluminum WHERE is founded............is completely unrelated to weaken the conclusion

hope this shelps you

by the way: do you agree that it is a 700 level question ?? please let me know
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32870 [0]
Send PM
mahendru1992 wrote:
carcass wrote:
mahendru1992 wrote:
How is C out of scope? Can anyone explain in detail?
My reasoning:
The argument says that high heat or supernova temperature inside or outside the Earth is responsible for the creation of aluminium but C says that aluminium is present in low oxygen areas, maybe the presence of low oxygen area has an affect and this makes aluminium. This can be an alternate cause.
Where am I wrong?

simply because the gist of the argument says this: aluminum is the result of fusion at certain point on a time line and this process is equal to that on other planets
this is false: to have aluminium we have to do something of artificial in a siderurgic plant

C says: where the aluminum WHERE is founded............is completely unrelated to weaken the conclusion

hope this shelps you

Thanks now i understand my mistake. Ahmm and about the difficulty level of the question, well i'm not sure I'm the right guy to ask since I'm not really good at CR. But IMO it is a near 700 level question

infact it was a rethoric question to you but also to other students :)
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32870 [0]
Send PM
mahendru1992 wrote:
carcass wrote:

infact it was a rethoric question to you but also to other students :)

hahaha damn! well that did it :P

P.S Do you have some tips on how to score well in the CR Section. Because I'm consistently performing poor. I get around 2/5 700 level questions correct. How do I improve? Really frustrated :(

and easiest question ?' what is your rate ??
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32870 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
mahendru1992 wrote:
carcass wrote:
and easiest question ?' what is your rate ??
[/quote]

Well on an average 4/5 mostly 5/5. But the problem lies with the 700 level questions.[/quote]

well i do not see the problem, to some extent.

I mean: people think that this is just a test about how many difficult questions i pick right ?? yeah, but this is wrong

The test is really complex. The most part of the students not even see that level because a bunch of variables come into the picture : stress, timing, even a word that is not understood and you have difficulties with that question, even if that question is not a 700 level.

The key is to pick right each low middle and middle upper level. in that way you are in an upper level stage that if you pick a 700 level question this one hurts you less than a 500 level. this is the game.

Back to your specific question I would say: read verey super carefully the question, trying to make it own as you are in that scenario and from here move further through the answer choices. Understanding the whole picture and not to use only your sets of strategy: for weaken question i have to weaken only the conclusion: this is fasle. understanding the whole scenario is the first rule to follow.

hope this helps you
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32870 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
the test works more or less like this:

questions one through six or so are of an increasing level

7 ---> 10 are difficult. this because the test tries to set a plateau for each student.

after this the test goes up and down from this plateau; it depends on how you respond to those questions.

around 25 or so (more or less) there is the confirmation stage: where your score is confirmed by the tes itself.

as you can see whwnever you reach THAT plateau after the 10th question if you are in an upper level zone even with question picked wrong you have that score.

coverserly: if you are not able to reach that plateau no matter what you do well AFTER, your score is already that. period.

I would be worried about more to have a strong plateau instead to pick a 700 level right and all the rest wrong; even becasue if you do not reach that upper level stage you never see a 700 level.

All that doesn't mean that 700 level question are not important, this is not true at all. only that for how the test works they are a chimera if you do not do well BEFORE.

;)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Schools: IIMA
Send PM
Indeed a good question, key to solve this question is "STABLE aluminum" -D says earth does not have stable aluminium it has to modify etc............so it says stable aluminium was never exist in earth --->i.e. earth will not be having similar environment of heat of large stars or supernovae

Hope that helps :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
guerrero25 wrote:
It takes the heat of large stars or supernovae to cause the fusion of magnesium with hydrogen, creating a chemically stable aluminum. Since aluminum is one of the most abundant elements on Earth, it can be inferred that, at least at some point, the temperature inside or outside Earth was comparable to that on large stars or supernovae.

Which of the following, if true, causes most damage to the conclusion of the argument above?

(A)Creation of stable aluminum requires distinct pressure conditions not typical of contemporary Earth.

(B)Some of the aluminum found on Earth was brought here with asteroids or other cosmic bodies that were parts of large stars or supernovae.

(C)Most aluminum on Earth comes in oxides, and native aluminum can be found only in low oxygen environments.

(D)Aluminum found on Earth has several vacant electrons that have to be artificially removed in order for it to become chemically stable.

D is answer.
B is tempting but in B if some aluminum was brought by asteroids then what about the left aluminum.
:-D
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [1]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Kudos
(A)Creation of stable aluminum requires distinct pressure conditions not typical of contemporary Earth. - irrelevant

(B)Some of the aluminum found on Earth was brought here with asteroids or other cosmic bodies that were parts of large stars or supernovae. - some - but what about the other part? where did it come from? out.

still doesn't explain where it came from. is oxides different from native aluminium? since additional questions need to be answered, it can't be a correct answer.

ok, now this is interesting. this one says that aluminium on earth has different structure than the aluminium formed in supernova. thus, the conclusion no longer stands.

(E)Magnesium itself can only be formed under strictly defined conditions. - irrelevant
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V34
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
i like this question.
Particular because B creates confusion.
Advised test takers can eliminate B beacuse of "Some alu was brought......" in the answer choice and "at least at some point....." in the question stem
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
this is a common but tricky pattern
A (heat)-> B (stable alumnium)
argument: B -> A
to weaken, B (on Earth) has nothing to with A
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Send PM
pqhai wrote:
This question requires you to read it carefully.

ANALYZE THE STIMULUS:

Fact: The heat of large stars or supernovae ==> the fusion of magnesium with hydrogen ==> creating a chemically stable aluminum. KEY word: "STABLE aluminum". Not aluminum in general.
Fact: Aluminum is one of the most abundant elements on Earth,
Conclusion: At least at some point, the temperature inside or outside Earth was comparable to that on large stars or supernovae.

Question: Which of the following, if true, causes most damage to the conclusion of the argument above?

ANALYZE EACH ANSWER:

Wrong. "not typical of contemporary Earth" does not mean the creating of stable aluminum did not happen in the past.

Wrong. "Some" does not mean "all". Let say 1/2 of the aluminum was brought to the Earth by asteroid, other 1/2 of aluminum created by temperature inside or outside Earth ==> The conclusion is true.
Other reason to eliminate: B only talks about "aluminum", not "STABLE aluminum" ==> We can't say anything about the creating of stable aluminum on Earth.

Wrong. Out of scope.

Correct. D shows that STABLE aluminum can be created artificially on Earth, not by temperature inside or outside Earth.

Wrong. E supports the conclusion a bit.

Hope it helps.

­How is C out of scope , Most means more than 50 percent. Can you explain the logic ? When we sat several vacant electrons . If there are 1000 electrons does several means more than 500 or less than 500 ? Please explain
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Hey Folks I can see that there is some confusion in between option Choice B and D.
Just before I proceed with the solution let's create a map for the passage
Conclusion :- Temp. @earth= Temp of supernova or star.
Evidence :- To have chemically stable aluminum we need heat of a star or supernova.
Now if I have to weaken it I might have to introduce certain other way that can produce chemically stable Aluminum

Now when I see option B forget about the aluminum brought by Asteroids, the basic question is that " Was this aluminum chemically stable". And answer is No to that
Where as in option choice D we can easily see that " Chemically stable aluminum is made by some chemical process" Thus being in alignment withe the passage

Takeaways :- When mapping always have a close look at certain keywords "chemically stable aluminum"
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts