Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 05:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

IT to MC Career Track

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Goizueta Thread Master
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 680 Q46 V38
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User
IT to MC Career Track [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 12:01
Hey all,

I am currently preparing my business school essays and I am currently having trouble formulating proper short-term and long-term aspirations.

Here is a brief summary of my background: After obtaining my Computer Science Degree from a well known state school, I went to work for a Healthcare Information Technology company. During my time with this company, I spent 3.5 years as a System Engineer performing mostly project related work with Database replication technologies, various operation systems, various programming languages, and big data projects. After my Engineering role, I transitioned into a consulting role in which I consulted with clients and came up with business continuity strategies to best fit their needs. I am hoping to leverage my experience as an Engineer and a consultant to move into Management Consulting.

Unfortunately, I have had trouble tracking down MBA candidates that have similar backgrounds as myself. Have any of you had a similar background and moved into management consulting? If so, how did you construct your short-term and long-term goals?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
WE: Consulting (Education)
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 22

Re: IT to MC Career Track [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2013, 04:52
CMcAboy, this is actually a very common background for people coming into bschool with an interest in management consulting - and believe it or not, you seem to have done a pretty good job already of articulating the goals! Basically what you need to do is to show how you're ready for the stated future path, and the sketch you provided above gives us some insights that you have transferable skills and an understanding of what the job entails.

The beauty of having a consulting goal is that not much else needs to be said about the goal itself - it's not like if you want to be an entrepreneur, where you need to bring in so much specific detail and backup. The adcoms totally know what management consulting is about, they send a gazillion graduates into that field each year, you don't have to explain or describe anything about that post-MBA goal specifically. Instead, you want to add enough color to your goals essay to show that it's a "real" goal for you - not just one that you heard about somewhere and you think it sounds good. Layer in the research you've done, talk about the reasons you want to do it, and/or give a lot of details surrounding what you want to do and how you plan to get there. And no matter what, you'll want to include some 'proof' that you're qualified, based on high-powered stories and concrete examples from your background that shows your readiness.

The goals essays are never easy and we haven't even touched the L/T goal which is a whole other issue, but we wanted to reassure you that it sounds like you're totally on the right track! It's much harder to transition from a straight IT/tech role into consulting but not impossible; the fact that you've already made a transition to consulting in your field will add a lot of value. Now, it just comes down to how you pitch it on the page. The basics look like they're there.

If we can help further please let us know and good luck with this!
EssaySnark

EssaySnark Essays Reviewed on GMAT Club FOR FREE!

Goizueta Thread Master
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 680 Q46 V38
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Re: IT to MC Career Track [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2013, 06:44
Thank you EssaySnark. This is great feedback!
Re: IT to MC Career Track   [#permalink] 12 Jul 2013, 06:44