Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 18:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

It was nearly impossible to diagnose the girl's illness even

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 34 [1] , given: 0

It was nearly impossible to diagnose the girl's illness even [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2008, 14:41
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
It was nearly impossible to diagnose the girl’s illness even after three hospitalizations, several months of therapy, and a near mental breakdown because no one medical professional – neither her therapist nor her doctors – were able to see the full scope of her symptoms.

A) neither her therapist nor her doctors – were able to see
B) not even her therapist nor her doctors – were able to see
C) including her therapist and her doctors – were able to see
D) not even her therapist nor her doctors – was able to see
E) neither her therapist nor her doctors – was able to see

(C) 2008 GMAT Club - v05#37
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 113

Kudos [?]: 1191 [0], given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: It was nearly impossible to diagnose the girl’s illness even [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2013, 02:48
Rock750 wrote:
Hi Zarroulou,

Is there any rule that clarify this : When choosing the Subject-Verb Pairs, one can omit the construction -- X -- between the SV?
i think it is matter of punctuation here .. what -- X -- represents here ?

Hi Rock750,

subject and verb should always agree, no metter what is in the middle.
The construct "- (...) -" is an example, an explanation of something stated before.

BTW, am I right? is E the correct answer?

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 3

Premium Member
Re: It was nearly impossible to diagnose the girl’s illness even [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2013, 07:11
Quote:
Is there any rule that clarify this : When choosing the Subject-Verb Pairs, one can omit the construction -- X -- between the SV?

thats right we need to to eliminate "dash" construction ."dash" is nothing but an elongated explanation

E is best here
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

CAT Tests
Re: It was nearly impossible to diagnose the girl’s illness even [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2013, 12:42
Not sure about the following, not infront of the book but:

I think I read in MGMAT SC book that in Either / Or & Neither / Nor, the tense [singular or plural] should follow what Or / Nor has.

Can any one confirm?

My guess was:

[neither] her therapist [nor] her doctors were able to see
VP
VP

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: It was nearly impossible to diagnose the girl’s illness even [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2013, 12:50
bcrawl wrote:
Not sure about the following, not infront of the book but:

I think I read in MGMAT SC book that in Either / Or & Neither / Nor, the tense [singular or plural] should follow what Or / Nor has.

Can any one confirm?

My guess was:

[neither] her therapist [nor] her doctors were able to see

I am not sure I've understood your question

I think you say A is correct.
A) neither her therapist nor her doctors were able to see

But here doctors is not the subject. Take a look at the final part of the sentence:
one medical professional – (...) – was

The verb refers to "professional" (Singular) so must be singular "was".

Hope that I've adressed your point, let me know

Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 11

Reviews Badge
Re: It was nearly impossible to diagnose the girl’s illness even [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2013, 15:07
Zarrolou wrote:
Rock750 wrote:
Hi Zarroulou,

i think it is matter of punctuation here .. what -- X -- represents here ?

Hi Rock750,

subject and verb should always agree, no metter what is in the middle.
The construct "- (...) -" is an example, an explanation of something stated before.

BTW, am I right? is E the correct answer?

I am not sure how to use the "- -" construction but you mention something important. Subject-verb pairs must agree. This is my takeaway from this problem.
Can you also expalin how do you use the "- -" constructions?
Intern
Intern
Schools: Olin
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: It was nearly impossible to diagnose the girl’s illness even [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2013, 15:15
Rock750 wrote:
It was nearly impossible to diagnose the girl’s illness even after three hospitalizations, several months of therapy, and a near mental breakdown because no one medical professional – neither her therapist nor her doctors – were able to see the full scope of her symptoms.

IMO Its. E. Clearly the sentence has a subject verb disagreement issue. "No One Medical Professional" is a singular subject, which eliminates first 3 options. Out of the last two options, D looks weird and E looks usual and simple .
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.54
WE: Project Management (Retail Banking)

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 85

Re: It was nearly impossible to diagnose the girl’s illness even [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2013, 01:12
So, Whenever you see something like -...- between the subject and the verb , it is likely to be a middleman and you should skip it when you agree the verb with its subject.

Now, is there any other type of punctuation that obey to this rule ?

KUDOS is the good manner to help the entire community.

"If you don't change your life, your life will change you"

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

CAT Tests
Re: It was nearly impossible to diagnose the girl’s illness even [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2013, 05:41
MGMAT - SC Latest version, Page 44, Subject - Verb Agreement Chapter: Either / Or and Neither / Nor section, said that the verb should match the nearest noun. That is why I was confused yesterday.

Can someone look at this chapter?

Maybe this is a flawed question to begin with...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.54
WE: Project Management (Retail Banking)

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 85

Re: It was nearly impossible to diagnose the girl’s illness even [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2013, 05:49
bcrawl wrote:
MGMAT - SC Latest version, Page 44, Subject - Verb Agreement Chapter: Either / Or and Neither / Nor section, said that the verb should match the nearest noun. That is why I was confused yesterday.

Can someone look at this chapter?

Maybe this is a flawed question to begin with...

Hi Bcrawl,

Yes, whenever you see "either/or" and "neither/nor" you should match the nearest noun with the verb.

But in this case, neither/nor is not acting as a subject; it is considered to be a middleman because you have - ...- , which actually not account for a subject.

That's why i put the question so that if you happen to see this on you G-Day, you will not be caught by the trap :wink:

KUDOS is the good manner to help the entire community.

"If you don't change your life, your life will change you"

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 539

Kudos [?]: 2265 [0], given: 31

Re: It was nearly impossible to diagnose the girl's illness even [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2013, 10:35
Expert's post
rpmodi wrote:

(A) neither her therapist nor her doctors – were able to see
(B) not even her therapist nor her doctors – were able to see
(C) including her therapist and her doctors – were able to see
(D) not even her therapist nor her doctors – was able to see
(E) neither her therapist nor her doctors – was able to see

kanusha wrote:
hello sir... pls clarify my doubts in VERBAL section... pls reply to these messages... my GMAT IS ON SEP 10...
MY answer is A.... in neither..nor.. we should see the subject that is nearest to the verb.... so doctors(plural)...were(plural)....
what is the correct answer.... and pls explain....
Thank you..

Dear Kanusha,
For figuring out the verb split, "was"/"were", we need to set aside the part within the dashes. That part, "neither her therapist nor her doctors", is an additional clarification, but not part and parcel of the grammatical backbone of the sentence. The subject of the verb is "no one medical professional", and both "no one" and "no one X" are singular. These demand a singular verb --- "no one was", not "no one were".
Does this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 36

Re: It was nearly impossible to diagnose the girl’s illness even [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2013, 13:59
Zarrolou wrote:
Rock750 wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Soon

The corret idiom is "neither ... nor". We can easly eliminate all but A and E.
If we look at the phrase, it says "no one medical professional ( SINGULAR)" so the next part must mantain this structure.
IMO E

Zarrolou & MIke,

Dont you think in all the answer choices, pronoun "her" doesnt have an antecedent. The sentence talks abiout "girl's illness" but "girl" was no where mentioned.

Is this usage correct? If so why?

Maadhu

MGMAT1 - 540 ( Trying to improve )

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Re: It was nearly impossible to diagnose the girl’s illness even [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2013, 15:53
Expert's post
maaadhu wrote:
Zarrolou & MIke,
Don't you think in all the answer choices, pronoun "her" doesn't have an antecedent. The sentence talks about "girl's illness" but "girl" was no where mentioned.

Dear maaadhu,
You are perfectly correct. The word "girl's" is in the possessive, and therefore absolutely cannot serve as an antecedent. Therefore the pronoun "her" has no antecedent. You are 100% correct: this construction is absolutely unacceptable in GMAT terms. I was focusing on the underlined splits only, so I missed this, but this is a clear and unambiguous mistake. It's very hard to write high quality GMAT SC practice questions, and whoever wrote this fell short of the mark on this particular question.

Here's a higher quality SC practice question for you:
http://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/3225

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 530 Q43 V20
GMAT 2: 560 Q42 V25
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 65

Re: It was nearly impossible to diagnose the girl's illness even [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2013, 16:29
I thought her is a possessive pronoun that can refer to girl’s illness.

Any comments?

KUDOS is a way to say Thank You

VP
VP

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: It was nearly impossible to diagnose the girl's illness even [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2013, 22:19
nt2010 wrote:
I thought her is a possessive pronoun that can refer to girl’s illness.

Any comments?

Nice question!

I think you are referring to the "possessive poison" rule of MGMAT SC Guide, according to which something like
"Marc's house"(...)"his"<== cannot refer to Marc because the name Marc does not appear as such in the sentence.

This is quite a controversial rule, and I think has been removed in the latest edition of the book.
In the official questions I know that this rule has been mentioned by GMAC, but the in the problem (just one) in which something similar appeared, the explanation did not mention it as the reason why the option was incorrect. So I would suggest not to bother about it, as its importance is minimal .

Hope this helps a bit :)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 36

Re: It was nearly impossible to diagnose the girl’s illness even [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2013, 09:51
mikemcgarry wrote:
maaadhu wrote:
Zarrolou & MIke,
Don't you think in all the answer choices, pronoun "her" doesn't have an antecedent. The sentence talks about "girl's illness" but "girl" was no where mentioned.

Dear maaadhu,
You are perfectly correct. The word "girl's" is in the possessive, and therefore absolutely cannot serve as an antecedent. Therefore the pronoun "her" has no antecedent. You are 100% correct: this construction is absolutely unacceptable in GMAT terms. I was focusing on the underlined splits only, so I missed this, but this is a clear and unambiguous mistake. It's very hard to write high quality GMAT SC practice questions, and whoever wrote this fell short of the mark on this particular question.

Here's a higher quality SC practice question for you:
http://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/3225

Thank You Mike & Zarralou.

Maadhu

MGMAT1 - 540 ( Trying to improve )

SVP
SVP
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: It was nearly impossible to diagnose the girl's illness even [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2014, 18:44
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 62

Re: It was nearly impossible to diagnose the girl's illness even [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2014, 22:43
hi Zarrolou and mikemcgarry
I understood that as per S-V agreement we need to use singular "was". but I am confused with the use of
Including vs. NeitherX nor Y
if the optn C would have been :
C) - including her therapist and her doctors – WAS able to see
E) - neither her therapist nor her doctors – was able to see

in this case will we still prefer E over C ??
I guess as the sentce says "NO ONE medical professional" - the use of neitherX norY is redundant & "Including" will correctly modify professional.

Please explain

Thanks in advance
Cheers...
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Re: It was nearly impossible to diagnose the girl's illness even [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2014, 10:42
Expert's post
GuptaDarsh wrote:
hiZarrolou and mikemcgarry
I understood that as per S-V agreement we need to use singular "was". but I am confused with the use of
Including vs. NeitherX nor Y
if the optn C would have been :
C) - including her therapist and her doctors – WAS able to see
E) - neither her therapist nor her doctors – was able to see

in this case will we still prefer E over C ??
I guess as the sentce says "NO ONE medical professional" - the use of neitherX norY is redundant & "Including" will correctly modify professional.

Please explain

Thanks in advance
Cheers...

Dear GuptaDarsh,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

If option (C) had the singular verb, both (C) & (E) would be perfectly correct, and there really would be no good way to choose. Yes, "no one medical professional" is unambiguously clear, but for added rhetorical emphasis, we add what's between the dashes --- again, either (C) or (E) would be fine on that issue.

You have to understand: this question is of OK quality, but not an excellent question. Most of the questions from the OG and other official sources are truly excellent: this means that many different issues are at play among the answer choices. In this question, many of the answer choices are "one-trick ponies" --- there's just one problem, and if we fix that one problem, then the answer choice is perfectly correct. This is a characteristic of SC questions that I would call "second tier," that is, a notch below the standard of excellence that characterizes official questions.

Does all this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Re: It was nearly impossible to diagnose the girl's illness even   [#permalink] 17 Oct 2014, 10:42