Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 04:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

It was once believed that the brain was independent of

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Dec 2010
Posts: 86
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 2

It was once believed that the brain was independent of [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2011, 13:59
It was once believed that the brain was independent
of metabolic processes occurring elsewhere in the body.
In recent studies, however, we have discovered that the
production and release in brain neurons of the neuro-
(5) transmitter serotonin (neurotransmitters are compounds
that neurons use to transmit signals to other cells)
depend directly on the food that the body processes.
Our first studies sought to determine whether the
increase in serotonin observed in rats given a large injec-
(10) tion of the amino acid tryptophan might also occur after
rats ate meals that change tryptophan levels in the
blood. We found that, immediately after the rats began
to eat, parallel elevations occurred in blood tryptophan,
brain tryptophan, and brain serotonin levels. These find-
(15) ings suggested that the production and release of sero-
tonin in brain neurons were normally coupled with
blood-tryptophan increases. In later studies we found
that injecting insulin into a rat's bloodstream also caused
parallel elevations in blood and brain tryptophan levels
(20) and in serotonin levels. We then decided to see whether
the secretion of the animal's own insulin similarly affected
serotonin production. We gave the rats a carbohydrate-
containing meal that we knew would elicit insulin secre-
tion. As we had hypothesized, the blood tryptophan
(25) level and the concentrations of tryptophan
serotonin in the brain increased after the meal.
Surprisingly, however, when we added a large
amount of protein to the meal, brain tryptophan and
serotonin levels fell. Since protein contains tryptophan,
(30) why should it depress brain tryptophan levels? The
answer lies in the mechanism that provides blood tryp-
tophan to the brain cells. This same mechanism also
provides the brain cells with other amino acids found in
protein, such as tyrosine and leucine. The consumption
(35) of protein increases blood concentration of the other
amino acids much more, proportionately, than it does
that of tryptophan. The more protein in the meal, the
lower is the ratio of the resulting blood-tryptophan
concentration to the concentration of competing amino
(40) acids, and the more slowly is tryptophan provided to
the brain. Thus the more protein in a meal, the less
serotonin subsequently produced and released.


Which of the following titles best summarizes the contents of the passage?
A
Neurotransmitters: Their Crucial Function in Cellular Communication
B
Diet and Survival: An Old Relationship Reexamined
C
The Blood Supply and the Brain: A Reciprocal Dependence
D
Amino Acids and Neurotransmitters: The Connection Between Serotonin Levels and Tyrosine
E
The Effects of Food Intake on the Production and Release of Serotonin: Some Recent Findings


2. According to the passage, the speed with which tryptophan is provided to the brain cells of a rat varies with the
A
amount of protein present in a meal
B
concentration of serotonin in the brain before a meal
C
concentration of leucine in the blood rather than on the concentration of tyrosine in the blood after a meal
D
concentration of tryptophan in the brain before a meal
E
number of serotonin-containing neurons present in the brain before a meal


3. According to the passage, when the authors began their first studies, they were aware that
A
they would eventually need to design experiments that involved feeding rats high concentrations of protein
B
tryptophan levels in the blood were difficult to monitor with accuracy
C
serotonin levels increased after rats were fed meals rich in tryptophan
D
there were many neurotransmitters whose production was dependent on metabolic processes elsewhere in the body.
E
serotonin levels increased after rats were injected with a large amount of tryptophan
4. According to the passage, one reason that the authors gave rats carbohydrates was to
A
depress the rats' tryptophan levels
B
prevent the rats from contracting diseases
C
cause the rats to produce insulin
D
demonstrate that insulin is the most important substance secreted by the body
E
compare the effect of carbohydrates with the effect of proteins
5. According to the passage, the more protein a rat consumes, the lower will be the
A
ratio of the rat's blood-tryptophan concentration to the amount of serotonin produced and released in the rat's brain
B
ratio of the rat's blood-tryptophan concentration to the concentration in its blood of the other amino acids contained in the protein
C
ratio of the rat's blood-tyrosine concentration to its blood-leucine concentration
D
number of neurotransmitters of any kind that the rat will produce and release
E
number of amino acids the rat's blood will contain
6. The authors' discussion of the "mechanism that provides blood tryptophan to the brain cells" (lines 31-32) is meant to
A
stimulate further research studies
B
summarize an area of scientific investigation
C
help explain why a particular research finding was obtained
D
provide supporting evidence for a controversial scientific theory
E
refute the conclusions of a previously mentioned research study

7. According to the passage, an injection of insulin was most similar in its effect on rats to an injection of
A
tyrosine
B
leucine
C
blood
D
tryptophan
E
protein
Math Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2010
Posts: 2047
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 928 [0], given: 376

GMAT Tests User
Re: Serotonin [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2011, 15:10
Is it a GMAT passage? Guess not!!

shashankp27 wrote:
Which of the following titles best summarizes the contents of the passage?
A Neurotransmitters: Their Crucial Function in Cellular Communication
B Diet and Survival: An Old Relationship Reexamined
C The Blood Supply and the Brain: A Reciprocal Dependence
D Amino Acids and Neurotransmitters: The Connection Between Serotonin Levels and Tyrosine
E The Effects of Food Intake on the Production and Release of Serotonin: Some Recent Findings
Ans: "E" - Entire passage tried to show how the metabolic activity after consuming certain food released Serotonin.
shashankp27 wrote:
2. According to the passage, the speed with which tryptophan is provided to the brain cells of a rat varies with the
A amount of protein present in a meal
B concentration of serotonin in the brain before a meal
C concentration of leucine in the blood rather than on the concentration of tyrosine in the blood after a meal
D concentration of tryptophan in the brain before a meal
E number of serotonin-containing neurons present in the brain before a meal
Ans: "A" - The more protein in the meal the more slowly is tryptophan provided to the brain.
shashankp27 wrote:
3. According to the passage, when the authors began their first studies, they were aware that
A they would eventually need to design experiments that involved feeding rats high concentrations of protein
B tryptophan levels in the blood were difficult to monitor with accuracy
C serotonin levels increased after rats were fed meals rich in tryptophan
D there were many neurotransmitters whose production was dependent on metabolic processes elsewhere in the body.
E serotonin levels increased after rats were injected with a large amount of tryptophan
Ans: "E" - Our first studies sought to determine whether the increase in serotonin observed in rats given a large injection of the amino acid tryptophan might also occur after rats ate meals.

Rewording:
We previously injected tryptophan that caused serotonin increase.
We want to study whether the serotonin will increase if the tryptophan is naturally produced by the body after consuming food.
shashankp27 wrote:
4. According to the passage, one reason that the authors gave rats carbohydrates was to
A depress the rats' tryptophan levels
B prevent the rats from contracting diseases
C cause the rats to produce insulin
D demonstrate that insulin is the most important substance secreted by the body
E compare the effect of carbohydrates with the effect of proteins
Ans: "C"
We then decided to see whether the secretion of the animal's own insulin similarly affected serotonin production. We gave the rats a carbohydrate-containing meal that we knew would elicit insulin secretion.
shashankp27 wrote:
5. According to the passage, the more protein a rat consumes, the lower will be the
A ratio of the rat's blood-tryptophan concentration to the amount of serotonin produced and released in the rat's brain
B ratio of the rat's blood-tryptophan concentration to the concentration in its blood of the other amino acids contained in the protein
C ratio of the rat's blood-tyrosine concentration to its blood-leucine concentration
D number of neurotransmitters of any kind that the rat will produce and release
E number of amino acids the rat's blood will contain
Ans: "B"
The more protein in the meal, the lower is the ratio of the resulting blood-tryptophan concentration to the concentration of competing amino acids.
shashankp27 wrote:
6. The authors' discussion of the "mechanism that provides blood tryptophan to the brain cells" (lines 31-32) is meant to
A stimulate further research studies
B summarize an area of scientific investigation
C help explain why a particular research finding was obtained
D provide supporting evidence for a controversial scientific theory
E refute the conclusions of a previously mentioned research study
Ans: "B"
Investigation was that the brain is provided with multiple amino acids. How? The same way as it did before for trypotophan.
shashankp27 wrote:
7. According to the passage, an injection of insulin was most similar in its effect on rats to an injection of
A tyrosine
B leucine
C blood
D tryptophan
E protein
Ans: "D"
In later studies we found that injecting insulin into a rat's bloodstream also caused parallel elevations in blood and brain tryptophan levels and in serotonin levels.

_________________

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Dec 2010
Posts: 86
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 2

Re: Serotonin [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2011, 18:30
It's from the document which i downloaded from this site.
OA to the 6th Q is 'C'
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 19 Apr 2011
Posts: 291
Schools: Booth,NUS,St.Gallon
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: It was once believed that the brain was independent of [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2012, 06:39
perfect this is the first RC i got all questions correct ..:)
_________________

+1 if you like my explanation .Thanks :)

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Jun 2012
Posts: 16
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.2
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 32

Re: It was once believed that the brain was independent of [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2012, 22:13
Could not understand this passage . .Can anyone summarizes and highlight the main idea ??
Re: It was once believed that the brain was independent of   [#permalink] 26 Nov 2012, 22:13
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
5 Experts publish their posts in the topic It was once believed that the brain was independent of meta carcass 1 23 Aug 2013, 12:10
4 Believed once to be essential in preventing crop yogirb8801 7 16 May 2013, 23:20
While it was once believed that the sort of psychotherapy AbhilashaAryan 1 15 Oct 2012, 19:39
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic While it was once believed that the sort of psychotherapy GMATD11 5 14 May 2012, 05:34
9 Many scientists believe that abnormalities in brain cici 21 06 Mar 2009, 06:05
Display posts from previous: Sort by

It was once believed that the brain was independent of

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.