Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 07:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of The

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Aug 2010
Posts: 85
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: toughest SC. [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2010, 10:58
A... gets uglier as u go down the choices.

----
Give kudos if u like this
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Aug 2010
Posts: 23
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: toughest SC. [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2010, 11:56
A has to be the answer because it is the only one that mentions watergate. All the others omit it.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Keep fighting!
Affiliations: IIT Madras
Joined: 31 Jul 2010
Posts: 238
WE 1: 2+ years - Programming
WE 2: 3+ years - Product developement,
WE 3: 2+ years - Program management
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 104

Re: toughest SC. [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2010, 22:48
Chose A.

Not sure if anyone noticed but B and D use "NEWSPAPER" and the others use NEWSPAPERS. Its obviously the plural. We can use that to eliminate a few.

Choices C and E - C suggests that it is the high praise that got the paper to No.1 rank. But the watergate scandal just got it praise. So explicitly implying that it is because of the reporting that it got the first rank is changing the meaning.
E- E is actually better than C but "Graham's becoming" is awkward.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 31 Jan 2010
Posts: 500
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 149

Re: toughest SC. [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2010, 23:40
gurpreet07 wrote:
guyzz plz explain ur answer choices.........

(A) It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of The Washington Post in 1963 that it moved into the first rank of American newspapers, and it was under her command that the paper won high praise for its unrelenting reporting of the Watergate scandal.
(B) It was only after Katharin Graham's becoming publisher of The Wasington Post in 1963 that it moved into the first rank of American newspaper, and under her commandt it had won high praise
possessive poison rule for pronouns.Reject.
(C) Katharine Graham became publisher of The Washington Post in 1963, and only after that
did it move into the first rank of American newspapers, having won high praise under her command
Cant use that in lieu of noun.
(D) Moving into the first rank of American newspaper only after Katharine Graham became
its publisher in 1963, The Washington Post, winning high praise under her command
no verb in sentence
(E) Moving into the first rank of American newspapers only after Katharine Graham's becoming its publisher in 1963, The Washington Post won high praise under her command.
possessive poison rule.
_________________

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Apr 2010
Posts: 170
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 3

Re: toughest SC. [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2010, 12:18
mundasingh123 wrote:
gurpreet07 wrote:
guyzz plz explain ur answer choices.........

(A) It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of The Washington Post in 1963 that it moved into the first rank of American newspapers, and it was under her command that the paper won high praise for its unrelenting reporting of the Watergate scandal.
(B) It was only after Katharin Graham's becoming publisher of The Wasington Post in 1963 that it moved into the first rank of American newspaper, and under her commandt it had won high praise
possessive poison rule for pronouns.Reject.
(C) Katharine Graham became publisher of The Washington Post in 1963, and only after that
did it move into the first rank of American newspapers, having won high praise under her command
Cant use that in lieu of noun.
(D) Moving into the first rank of American newspaper only after Katharine Graham became
its publisher in 1963, The Washington Post, winning high praise under her command
no verb in sentence
(E) Moving into the first rank of American newspapers only after Katharine Graham's becoming its publisher in 1963, The Washington Post won high praise under her command.
possessive poison rule.


Another mistake in C is that it changes the meaning of the sentence altogether. The original sentence states that two things happened after Katharine Graham became the publisher: 1) the newspaper moved into the first rank of American newspapers and 2) the paper won high praise for its unrelenting reporting of the Watergate scandal.
Option C changes the meaning of the sentence by the use of "Having".

having + past participle is used to express actions that are finished and to show that one thing comes after another. Furthermore, there is usually a "because relationship between the two.
For example: Having eaten already, I turned down the invitation to dinner.

However in this question the two things I pointed out earlier do not have a "because" relationship.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 31 Jan 2010
Posts: 500
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 149

Re: toughest SC. [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2010, 13:25
tingle15 wrote:
mundasingh123 wrote:
gurpreet07 wrote:
guyzz plz explain ur answer choices.........

(A) It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of The Washington Post in 1963 that it moved into the first rank of American newspapers, and it was under her command that the paper won high praise for its unrelenting reporting of the Watergate scandal.
(B) It was only after Katharin Graham's becoming publisher of The Wasington Post in 1963 that it moved into the first rank of American newspaper, and under her commandt it had won high praise
possessive poison rule for pronouns.Reject.
(C) Katharine Graham became publisher of The Washington Post in 1963, and only after that
did it move into the first rank of American newspapers, having won high praise under her command
Cant use that in lieu of noun.
(D) Moving into the first rank of American newspaper only after Katharine Graham became
its publisher in 1963, The Washington Post, winning high praise under her command
no verb in sentence
(E) Moving into the first rank of American newspapers only after Katharine Graham's becoming its publisher in 1963, The Washington Post won high praise under her command.
possessive poison rule.


Another mistake in C is that it changes the meaning of the sentence altogether. The original sentence states that two things happened after Katharine Graham became the publisher: 1) the newspaper moved into the first rank of American newspapers and 2) the paper won high praise for its unrelenting reporting of the Watergate scandal.
Option C changes the meaning of the sentence by the use of "Having".

having + past participle is used to express actions that are finished and to show that one thing comes after another. Furthermore, there is usually a "because relationship between the two.
For example: Having eaten already, I turned down the invitation to dinner.

However in this question the two things I pointed out earlier do not have a "because" relationship.

so what s the problem if having + past participle is used to express actions that are finished and to show that one thing comes after another.how does it change the meaning in C.
I didnt know abt the because relation signified by "having " -ed" R u sure?
_________________

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Apr 2010
Posts: 170
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 3

Re: toughest SC. [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2010, 01:28
Option C implies that "After the newspaper won high praise under her command, it moved into the first rank of American Newspapers". But that is not the case. Winning praise and moving into the first rank of american newspapers are two separate outcomes of her becoming the publisher. Hence the meaning of the sentence is changed.

I hope it is clear now.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 227
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 2

Re: toughest SC. [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2010, 19:45
Most definitely A. It is the only one that is error free.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Status: Do and Die!!
Joined: 15 Sep 2010
Posts: 333
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 193

Re: toughest SC. [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2010, 11:05
i went for D without noticing the eliminated part of the sentence.
usually choice "A" are the correct answers for full underline questions. This is one of the GMAC strategy to waste test taker time.
_________________

I'm the Dumbest of All !!

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Sep 2011
Posts: 89
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 15

Re: toughest SC. [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2011, 16:54
Experts, If we should have had "Katharine Graham's becoming of" instead of "Katharine Graham's becoming", would that have been more appropriate?

OP, kudos for the nice question. :)
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
Status: Prep started for the n-th time
Joined: 29 Aug 2010
Posts: 708
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 97 [1] , given: 37

Re: toughest SC. [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2011, 17:24
1
This post received
KUDOS
+1 for A.

DexDee wrote:
Experts, If we should have had "Katharine Graham's becoming of" instead of "Katharine Graham's becoming", would that have been more appropriate?

OP, kudos for the nice question. :)


The general rule of concision is Verb > Adjective > Noun. Hence become/became would still be preferred over becoming, (unless off course you are using becoming as conversion, as in the movie Red Dragon :) - just a joke).

Crick
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Sep 2011
Posts: 89
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 15

Re: toughest SC. [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2011, 18:01
^ Thanks man! :)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Status: Mission MBA
Joined: 02 Jul 2010
Posts: 45
Location: Hyderabad, India
Schools: ISB, IIMs
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 5

Re: toughest SC. [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2011, 19:28
gurpreet07 wrote:
It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of The Washington Post in 1963 that it moved into the first rank of American newspapers, and it was under her command that the paper won high praise for its unrelenting reporting of the Watergate scandal.

(A) It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of The Washington Post in 1963 that it moved into the first rank of American newspapers, and it was under her command that the paper won high praise for its unrelenting reporting of the Watergate scandal.
(B) It was only after Katharin Graham's becoming publisher of The Wasington Post in 1963 that it moved into the first rank of American newspaper, and under her commandt it had won high praise
(C) Katharine Graham became publisher of The Washington Post in 1963, and only after that
did it move into the first rank of American newspapers, having won high praise under her command
(D) Moving into the first rank of American newspaper only after Katharine Graham became
its publisher in 1963, The Washington Post, winning high praise under her command
(E) Moving into the first rank of American newspapers only after Katharine Graham's becoming its publisher in 1963, The Washington Post won high praise under her command.


Can someone please explain why its not "E". I did not find any error in E. The introduction phrase "Moving into first rank" correctly modifies the "The Washington post".
I didnt select A because "It" was used multiple times in the sentence and antencedent for It was not same everytime. First "It" - opening the sentence, Second "It"- refers to "The washington Post", third "It"- again opening sentence and the fourth "Its" - refers again to "The washington Post".

Any inputs????
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 May 2011
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: toughest SC. [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2011, 20:39
I am still not clear on A option.

In choice A
"It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of The Washington Post in 1963 [highlight]that it moved into the first rank of American newspapers[/highlight], and it was under her command that the paper won high praise for its unrelenting reporting of the Watergate scandal."

On the sentence above highlighted part not clearly pointing to the right subject. Can anyone explain more on how do we say it is option A here.

In Choice E - which is also not correct but
"Moving into the first rank of American newspapers only after Katharine Graham's becoming its publisher in 1963, The Washington Post won high praise under her command."
Correction could be like
"Moving into the first rank of American newspapers only after Katharine Graham becoming its publisher in 1963, The Washington Post won high praise under her command."
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Aug 2011
Posts: 17
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 17

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: toughest SC. [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2011, 01:10
deleted my post

Last edited by Reinfrank2011 on 24 Mar 2014, 00:55, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Essaying
Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 156
Location: Ghana
Concentration: Finance, Finance
Schools: Cambridge
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.9
WE: Accounting (Education)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: toughest SC. [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2011, 03:58
I went with A, correct tenses and correct parrallism.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Feb 2011
Posts: 84
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: Q V
GMAT 3: Q V
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 11

Re: toughest SC. [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2011, 12:30
I thought it was not tough, considering all the other choices except A sounded wrong. I go with what sounds right, then check for modifier and parrallelism.
Current Student
avatar
Status: MLT Fellowship - MBA Prep
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma - Business Honors Society, FINRA Securities Licenses, CA Insurance Licenses
Joined: 29 Nov 2010
Posts: 174
Location: United States (CA)
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.47
WE: Sales (Retail Banking)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: toughest SC. [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2011, 14:53
A.. very tough, having to read such long answer choices and I dont see any good splits to help narrow it down in a timely manner.
_________________

Brandon Hoffman
http://www.linkedin.com/in/bdhoffman

Management Leadership of Tomorrow (MLT) - MBA Programs Fellow
MLT LA Chapter - Board Member / Recruiting Officer
Net Impact - Professional Chapter Co-President
MBADiversity Organization - Global Fellow, CHINA

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Apr 2011
Posts: 145
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 12

Re: toughest SC. [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2011, 21:00
Had gone with C initially. But after reading the posts realized my error. A wins.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Time to apply!
Joined: 24 Aug 2011
Posts: 221
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 166

Re: It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of The [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2011, 03:36
I think the question is not properly underlined ... the correct version might be :

It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of The Washington Post in 1963 that it moved into the first rank of American newspapers, and it was under her command that the paper won high praise for its unrelenting reporting of the Watergate scandal.
A. It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of The Washington Post in 1963 that it moved into the first rank of American newspapers, and it was under her command that the paper won high praise
B. It was only after Katharin Graham's becoming publisher of The Wasington Post in 1963 that it moved into the first rank of American newspaper, and under her commandt it had won high praise
C. Katharine Graham became publisher of The Washington Post in 1963, and only after that did it move into the first rank of American newspapers, having won high praise under her command
D. Moving into the first rank of American newspaper only after Katharine Graham became
its publisher in 1963, The Washington Post, winning high praise under her command
E. Moving into the first rank of American newspapers only after Katharine Graham's becoming its publisher in 1963, The Washington Post won high praise under her command
_________________

Didn't give up !!! Still Trying!!

Re: It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of The   [#permalink] 24 Nov 2011, 03:36
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of The eybrj2 3 06 Dec 2011, 21:27
1 It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of The spriya 8 13 Oct 2008, 05:52
3 It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of The aMante 9 28 Mar 2008, 09:26
It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of the tarek99 3 08 Dec 2007, 02:13
It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of The karlfurt 2 25 Mar 2006, 12:35
Display posts from previous: Sort by

It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of The

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 54 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.