Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Oct 2014, 05:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of The

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 27

Re: It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of The [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2012, 06:27
Although A isn't the best choice, it's the only one among the rest that fits.

Why I say it isn't the best choice is because of the first part that says, "It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of The Washington Post in 1963 that it moved into the first rank...". I think that "it" is misleading because the subject of the sentence is Katharine Graham not Washington Post.

petrifiedbutstanding

Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 75

Re: It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of The [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2012, 06:38
It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of The Washington Post in 1963 that it moved into the first rank of American newspapers, and it was under her command that the paper won high praise for its unrelenting reporting of the Watergate scandal.

(A) It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of The Washington Post in 1963 that it moved into the first rank of American newspapers, and it was under her command that the paper won high praise for its unrelenting reporting of the Watergate scandal.
crisp, clear and winner
(B) It was only after Katharin Graham's becoming publisher of The Wasington Post in 1963 that it moved into the first rank of American newspaper, and under her command it had won high praise
Katharin Graham's becoming-incorrect
(C) Katharine Graham became publisher of The Washington Post in 1963, and only after that
did it move into the first rank of American newspapers, having won high praise under her command
having won-incorrect
(D) Moving into the first rank of American newspaper only after Katharine Graham became
its publisher in 1963, The Washington Post, winning high praise under her command
Ms Graham became the publisher first or the Newspaper got the first rank first ? incorrect
(E) Moving into the first rank of American newspapers only after Katharine Graham's becoming its publisher in 1963, The Washington Post won high praise under her command.
moving...becoming- improper -incorrect

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 308

Kudos [?]: 490 [0], given: 2

CAT Tests
Re: It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of The [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2012, 15:27
Expert's post
With answer (A), which is the correct answer, one thing I think that can throw many of is the first 'it was.' Clearly the use of 'it' in this sense does not require an antecedent. Given the proximity of the next 'it', however, one may think that the two 'its' do not refer to the same thing. Nonetheless, the phrase 'it was' should be treated differently from the 'it' in '...that it moved.' This 'it' clearly refers to the Post. The next 'it' in the 'it was...' maintains parallelism with the first 'it was.' Finally the last 'its' refers back to the Post. Quite a lot of 'its.' Hopefully, 'it' will not throw you next time :).

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 7

Re: It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of The [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2012, 16:26
A – this has the correct past tense sentences but initially thought the pronoun construction is wrong. However, this seemed to be the best after looking at other sentences

Please provide kudos if you like my post. Thank you.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 121

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of The [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2012, 06:48
I answered E.
It is not completely clear to me why the answer is A, since A is quite confusing for me. But I guess it is the best answer offered.

Kudos if you like the post!

Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 6

Re: It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of The [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2012, 04:44
Stiv wrote:
I answered E.
It is not completely clear to me why the answer is A, since A is quite confusing for me. But I guess it is the best answer offered.

Hi,

In the original sentence (option A) the two clauses are both independent clauses linked by the conjunction "and"; however, option E needlessly subordinates one of the these clauses to the other, changing the meaning of the original sentence. Hope this is clear.

Cheers,
Der alte Fritz.

+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: toughest SC. [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2012, 05:37
shekharvineet wrote:
talk2pk wrote:
Indeed a tough one....but with no error IMO!!!!
i lgo with A...

actually it's pretty easy. Answer is ofcorse A. What makes it a very easy and obvious choice, other than grammatical errors, is the fact that none of the other answer choices contain the last part of the second clause-"the paper won praise for it's unrelenting reporting of the watergate scandal".
How can that part be simply omitted? It cannot yield to the principle of concision as it distorts the meaning of the sentence. Won praise for what?
I agree A is wordy but all other choices are not only grammatically wrong but also omit a necessary part of the second clause of the sentence.

Posted from my mobile device Image

Exactly. I found this pretty easy and below GMAT club question's standard.
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 268

Kudos [?]: 1717 [0], given: 249

Premium Member
Re: It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of The [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2012, 06:48
Expert's post
Oh, how sad! The transcription, especially, the underlining part is wrong in this thread. Here is the correct version

It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of the Washington Post in 1963 that it moved into the first rank of American newspapers, and it was under her command that the paper won high praises for its unrelenting reporting of the Watergate scandal.

a) It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of the Washington Post in 1963 that it moved into the first rank of American newspapers, and it was under her command that the paper won high praises

b) It was only after Katharine Graham's becoming publisher of The Washington Post in 1963 that it moved into the first rank of American newpapers, and under her command it had won high priases

c) Katharine Graham became publisher of The Washington Post in 1963, and only after that did it move into the first rank of American newspapers, having won high praise under her command

d) Moving into the first rank of American newspapers only after Katharine Graham became its publisher in 1963, The Washington Post, winning high praise under her command

e) Moving into the first rank of American newspapers only after Katharine Graham's becoming its publisher in 1963, The Washinton Post won high praise under her command

The underlining stops with praises; for its for its unrelenting reporting of the Watergate scandal’ is part of all the other answers. Please, search below this thread’s page and open any of the links there and you will find the correct stem

We cannot brand a GMATPREP’s own question as below GMAT’s standards. IMO, this is one of the very good questions for GMAT practice, because the complexities of the implicit meaning involved therein.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of The [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2012, 10:11
daagh wrote:
Oh, how sad! The transcription, especially, the underlining part is wrong in this thread. Here is the correct version

It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of the Washington Post in 1963 that it moved into the first rank of American newspapers, and it was under her command that the paper won high praises for its unrelenting reporting of the Watergate scandal.

a) It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of the Washington Post in 1963 that it moved into the first rank of American newspapers, and it was under her command that the paper won high praises

b) It was only after Katharine Graham's becoming publisher of The Washington Post in 1963 that it moved into the first rank of American newpapers, and under her command it had won high priases

c) Katharine Graham became publisher of The Washington Post in 1963, and only after that did it move into the first rank of American newspapers, having won high praise under her command

d) Moving into the first rank of American newspapers only after Katharine Graham became its publisher in 1963, The Washington Post, winning high praise under her command

e) Moving into the first rank of American newspapers only after Katharine Graham's becoming its publisher in 1963, The Washinton Post won high praise under her command

The underlining stops with praises; for its for its unrelenting reporting of the Watergate scandal’ is part of all the other answers. Please, search below this thread’s page and open any of the links there and you will find the correct stem

We cannot brand a GMATPREP’s own question as below GMAT’s standards. IMO, this is one of the very good questions for GMAT practice, because the complexities of the implicit meaning involved therein.

I believe still it's A. And I meant GMAT club's question a day standard. Or may be I am finding this easy after practising them.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of The [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2012, 08:01
The correct answer is A , other options are ambiguous and also lack cohesion.
Current Student
GMAT Date: 12-01-2012

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of The [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2012, 08:23
gurpreet07 wrote:
It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of The Washington Post in 1963 that it moved into the first rank of American newspapers, and it was under her command that the paper won high praise for its unrelenting reporting of the Watergate scandal.

(A) It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of The Washington Post in 1963 that it moved into the first rank of American newspapers, and it was under her command that the paper won high praise for its unrelenting reporting of the Watergate scandal.
(B) It was only after Katharin Graham's becoming publisher of The Wasington Post in 1963 that it moved into the first rank of American newspaper, and under her commandt it had won high praise
(C) Katharine Graham became publisher of The Washington Post in 1963, and only after that
did it move into the first rank of American newspapers, having won high praise under her command
(D) Moving into the first rank of American newspaper only after Katharine Graham became
its publisher in 1963, The Washington Post, winning high praise under her command
(E) Moving into the first rank of American newspapers only after Katharine Graham's becoming its publisher in 1963, The Washington Post won high praise under her command.

My view:
Each option except A misses this information (for its unrelenting reporting of the Watergate scandal.); We can not miss out important information from the sentence. Hecne A supposed to a correct answer.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15, NUS '16
GMAT Date: 08-27-2013
GPA: 3.46
WE: Project Management (Other)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 54

Reviews Badge
Re: It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of The [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2013, 07:00
It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of The Washington Post in 1963 that it moved into the first rank of American newspapers, and it was under her command that the paper won high praise for its unrelenting reporting of the Watergate scandal

(A) It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of The Washington Post in 1963 that it moved into the first rank of American newspapers, and it was under her command that the paper won high praise for its unrelenting reporting of the Watergate scandal.correct usage of tense and flow
(B) It was only after Katharin Graham's becoming publisher of The Wasington Post in 1963 that it moved into the first rank of American newspaper, and under her commandt it had won high praise"Katharin Graham's" wrong usage
did it move into the first rank of American newspapers, having won high praise under her command"having won" wrong usage of tense "did it move" wrong tense and awkward
its publisher in 1963, The Washington Post, winning high praise under her commandrun on sentence
(E) Moving into the first rank of American newspapers only after Katharine Graham's becoming its publisher in 1963, The Washington Post won high praise under her command.run on sentence

.........................................................................................
Please give me kudos if my posts help.

Current Student
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.73
WE: Analyst (Real Estate)

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Re: It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of The [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2013, 12:48
(A) It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of The Washington Post in 1963 that it moved into the first rank of American newspapers, and it was under her command that the paper won high praise for its unrelenting reporting of the Watergate scandal. Correct
(B) It was only after Katharin Graham's becoming Becoming is akward here. Became would be correct if we dropped the 's after Graham publisher of The Wasington Post in 1963 that it moved into the first rank of American newspaper, and under her commandt it had won high praise Seems like a run on / dangler
(C) Katharine Graham became publisher of The Washington Post in 1963, and only after that That is ambiguous. Could refer to publisher or Washingto Post
its publisher in 1963, The Washington Post, winning high praise under her commandWeird structure
(E) Moving into the first rank of American newspapers only after Katharine Graham's becomingBecoming again... entire sentence is akward its publisher in 1963, The Washington Post won high praise under her command.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 12

Re: It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of The [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2014, 19:09
shekharvineet wrote:
talk2pk wrote:
Indeed a tough one....but with no error IMO!!!!
i lgo with A...

actually it's pretty easy. Answer is ofcorse A. What makes it a very easy and obvious choice, other than grammatical errors, is the fact that none of the other answer choices contain the last part of the second clause-"the paper won praise for it's unrelenting reporting of the watergate scandal".
How can that part be simply omitted? It cannot yield to the principle of concision as it distorts the meaning of the sentence. Won praise for what?
I agree A is wordy but all other choices are not only grammatically wrong but also omit a necessary part of the second clause of the sentence.

Posted from my mobile device

The important thing to understand here is that Why Option A will still remain best answer even if all sentences are complete and not omitted any word.
Re: It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of The   [#permalink] 25 Sep 2014, 19:09