Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 11:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

IT WASN'T SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN LIKE THIS....

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

IT WASN'T SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN LIKE THIS.... [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2005, 12:13
First of all, I wish I knew this blog existed weeks ago. This is a great service.

Okay, so my story:

After taking the Kaplan course and studying nonstop for two weeks I took the GMAT just before the New Year and got a 660 (44-Q and 37-V). I concluded that I did the best that I could on that day, but didn't give myself enough time prepare to get over a 700. Before my first test date I completed about 2/3 of the problems in the Official Guide.

After Jan 1st I completely shut out everything and everyone and did all 1500 problems in the Official Guide book and reviewed nearly half again. I scored over 650 on Kaplan Tests and over 750 on ETS tests..(I should have scored 800 right, after doing so many problems.) I also worked with a tutor for a couple of hours.

I just re-took the test this morning. Last night I woke up at 3:30 am and couldn't fall back asleep. Around 5:30 am I just figured I might as well wake up. I was feeling ready and actually excited to take the test. Not once did I think the lack of sleep might affect my score.

Well, the test started and I just sort of froze in the first ten minutes. I worked through and finished on time but I didn't have a good feeling.
Everyone says they feel like they didn't do well during the test, so I didn't even think to cancel my scores.

BUT I GOT A 570!!!! Worse than my first score.

Obviously I am going to take the test again because I want to go to one of the top 3 B-Schools. But when? Should I just take it again in a couple of weeks or put it off compeletely? I'm not going to be applying for another 1 - 2 years. Also, does it look bad that I didn't get it right the second time?

Thanks for reading. I would really appreciate some advice.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2005, 21:11
Starfish:
I am sorry to read about your experience. I completely empathize with you. This sudden drop of score, after doing decent in first attempt, is nowadays becoming not so uncommon thing. The primary reason for this, as I always maintain, is that after doing fine in first attempt, one subconsciously assumes that he will atleast reach the level attained in first attempt automatically. One forgets the risky nature of computer adaptive exam. Secondly, as you say, your lack of sleep might have played havoc with your concenteration.
Every time you take GMAT, you have to take it very aggresively ..forgetting about what you did last time.
You scored quite decent in your first attempt..and I can assure you that it was not a fluke score. What happened second time was an accident..and now you have to make sure that you fill the remaining gaps in your preparation and give your best shot. Iam sure that you should atleast get back your previous score and I wont be surprised if you get 700+.. as your section scores need to be improved a little to get there.
Good luck
  [#permalink] 21 Jan 2005, 21:11