Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 19:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Italian fashion house Prada, which has been among the most

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 87

CAT Tests
Italian fashion house Prada, which has been among the most [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2012, 03:03
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (low)

Question Stats:

60% (02:04) correct 40% (01:06) wrong based on 250 sessions
Italian fashion house Prada, which has been among the most highly regarded clothing and accessory manufacturers, surprised many insiders in moving its sneaker production overseas to Vietnam in 2007.

A. Italian fashion house Prada, which has been among the most highly regarded clothing and accessory manufacturers, surprised
many insiders in moving its sneaker production overseas to Vietnam in 2007

B. Prada, the Italian fashion house that is among the most highly regarded manufacturers of clothing and accessories, surprised
many insiders in 2007, moving its sneaker production overseas to Vietnam

C. In 2007, Italian fashion house Prada, among the most highly regarded manufacturers of clothing and accessories, surprised
many insiders by moving its sneaker production overseas to Vietnam

D. The Italian fashion house Prada, among the most highly regarded clothing and accessory manufacturers in 2007, was a
surprise to many insiders when it moved its sneaker production overseas to Vietnam

E. In 2007, surprising many insiders by moving its sneaker production overseas to Vietnam, the Italian fashion house Prada
was one of the most highly regarded clothing and accessory manufacturers

I will provide the official answer later. Please provide detailed explanations.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 268 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Prada [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2012, 04:51
Italian fashion house Prada, which has been among the most highly regarded clothing and accessory manufacturers, surprised many insiders in moving its sneaker production overseas to Vietnam in 2007.

A. Italian fashion house Prada, which has been among the most highly regarded clothing and accessory manufacturers, surprised
in moving doesn't logically conveys the meaning. one thing(movement to Vietnam) is causing the other(surprising....), which can ideally be conveyed by using BY as used in option C

B. Prada, the Italian fashion house that is among the most highly regarded manufacturers of clothing and accessories, surprised
moving its...... should have been preceded by BY to convey the correct meaning hence incorrect..though at first sight this one looked correct to me

C. In 2007, Italian fashion house Prada, among the most highly regarded manufacturers of clothing and accessories, surprised
Correct

D. The Italian fashion house Prada, among the most highly regarded clothing and accessory manufacturers in 2007, was a
surprise to many insiders when it moved its sneaker production overseas to Vietnam
The fashion house was not a surprise, rather the act of moving to vietnam was a surprise...shift in meaning..INCORRECT

E. In 2007, surprising many insiders by moving its sneaker production overseas to Vietnam, the Italian fashion house Prada
The actual sentence uses has been, thus conveying that even till today the fashion house is one of the most highly regarded....however this sentence uses was ( simple past) which means that it is no longer highly decorated thus INCORRECT

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 87

CAT Tests
Re: Prada [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2012, 05:28
Shouldn't option C say " In 2007, Italian fashion house Prada, which is among the most highly regarded manufacturers of clothing and ..."
Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.2
WE: Business Development (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 10

Re: Prada [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2012, 07:23
C. Surprised many insiders "BY".. The only one that is idiomatically correct i suppose. There are other problems with the various options as well but this I thought was the make or break reason.

What is the original answer

"Nowadays, people know the price of everything, and the value of nothing." Oscar Wilde

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 268 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Prada [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2012, 07:38
bsaikrishna wrote:
Shouldn't option C say " In 2007, Italian fashion house Prada, which is among the most highly regarded manufacturers of clothing and ..."

agreed , without which even it sounded awkward to me but then one must see the errors prevailing in others and C clearly gives out the intended meaning......

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 250 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: Prada [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2012, 12:47
IMO, B

I think that C changes the meaning in relation to the definiton of Prada. In C, we don't exactly know that Prada is one of the most highly regarded manufacturers of clothing and accessories.

B is clear in that point. Also, the participle modifier with comma modifies the clause by indicating that the company surprised the insiders by moving overseas.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 87

CAT Tests
Re: Prada [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2012, 10:51
OA is C
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Prada [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2012, 11:41
C is correct

"by" is the correct proposition here.
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 07-16-2012
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 25

Reviews Badge
Re: Prada [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2012, 02:13
rajeevrks27 wrote:

in moving doesn't logically conveys the meaning. one thing(movement to Vietnam) is causing the other(surprising....), which can ideally be conveyed by using BY as used in option C

moving its...... should have been preceded by BY to convey the correct meaning hence incorrect..though at first sight this one looked correct to me

Correct

The fashion house was not a surprise, rather the act of moving to vietnam was a surprise...shift in meaning..INCORRECT

The actual sentence uses has been, thus conveying that even till today the fashion house is one of the most highly regarded....however this sentence uses was ( simple past) which means that it is no longer highly decorated thus INCORRECT

First of all Kudos for your detail explaination.

I have one basic question about option C. The sentence in option C starts with in 2007, which changes meaning from the original sentence.

Original sentence provides a general fact that Italian fashion house Prada has been among the most highly regarded clothing and accessories manufacturers. However,

Option C implies that In 2007, prada is among the highly regarded clothing and accessories manufacturer. (not before 2007 and not after 2007)

Isn’t C wrong because it changes the intended meaning of the sentence?

-------Analyze why option A in SC wrong-------

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1187

Kudos [?]: 3160 [2] , given: 176

Re: Prada [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2012, 07:17
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
nishtil wrote:
I have one basic question about option C. The sentence in option C starts with in 2007, which changes meaning from the original sentence.

Original sentence provides a general fact that Italian fashion house Prada has been among the most highly regarded clothing and accessories manufacturers. However,

Option C implies that In 2007, prada is among the highly regarded clothing and accessories manufacturer. (not before 2007 and not after 2007)

This is the correct answer choice C:

In 2007, Italian fashion house Prada, among the most highly regarded manufacturers of clothing and accessories, surprised many insiders by moving its sneaker production overseas to Vietnam.

Notice the structure of this sentence. The phrase “among …accessories” is written between two commas, meaning that this information is not essential for the meaning of the sentence. This modifier is just providing additional information about “Prada”. Even if we remove this phrase from the sentence, the meaning will not be affected.

“In 2007” refers to the verb “surprised”, suggesting that Prada surprised insiders by doing something. It is not referring to Prada being regarded as a high brand. Hence, there is no change in meaning as such.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Free Webinar: July 26, 2014 - Ace GMAT RC: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to apply the Reading Strategies critical to ace the GMAT Reading Comprehension. Click here to register.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Italian fashion house Prada, which has been among the most [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2012, 07:45
Ya exactly style can be applied very fast but it should be different and something new to present.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 136

Re: Italian fashion house Prada, which has been among the most [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2013, 05:25
Hi Experts,

Request you to please clear my doubt:

"the Italian fashion house that is among the most highly regarded manufacturers of clothing and accessories"

Explanation Says that:

The modifier “the Italian fashion house that is…” suggests that Prada is the only Italian fashion house among those highly regarded manufacturers; in context, there is no reason to believe that this is the case.

Can anyone tell me how can we reason that Prada is the ONLY Italian Fashion House.

Your help will be appreciated.

Thanks
H

+1 Kudos me, Help me unlocking GMAT Club Tests

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 465

Kudos [?]: 1844 [1] , given: 29

Re: Italian fashion house Prada, which has been among the most [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2013, 12:03
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
imhimanshu wrote:
Hi Experts,

Request you to please clear my doubt:
"the Italian fashion house that is among the most highly regarded manufacturers of clothing and accessories"

Explanation Says that:
The modifier “the Italian fashion house that is…” suggests that Prada is the only Italian fashion house among those highly regarded manufacturers; in context, there is no reason to believe that this is the case.

Can anyone tell me how can we reason that Prada is the ONLY Italian Fashion House. Your help will be appreciated.
Thanks
H

Dear imhimanshu,
This gets into the subtle issue of vital vs. non-vital modifiers. See:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/that-vs-which-on-the-gmat/
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-gramm ... modifiers/

I don't disagree with what the explanation said, but I don't know that I would say what's wrong with this sentence the same way that the explanation phrased it. Think about the way (B) opens:

Prada, the Italian fashion house that is among the most highly regarded manufacturers of clothing and accessories, ....

The appositive phrase "Italian fashion house" is separated by a comma, so it's a non-vital modifier. In other words, we are saying, the name "Prada" is already recognizable, and the words "Italian fashion house" merely add explanation --- they are not necessarily to provide identification. But then, we get a "that" clause, with no comma ---- so we are saying "Prada" doesn't need identification, but when we call it a "Italian fashion house", that needs essentially identification? There's an awkward logical inconsistency in that phrasing.

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V27
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V39

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 29

Reviews Badge
Re: Prada [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2013, 22:06
egmat wrote:
nishtil wrote:

In 2007, Italian fashion house Prada, among the most highly regarded manufacturers of clothing and accessories, surprised many insiders by moving its sneaker production overseas to Vietnam.

Notice the structure of this sentence. The phrase “among …accessories” is written between two commas, meaning that this information is not essential for the meaning of the sentence. This modifier is just providing additional information about “Prada”. Even if we remove this phrase from the sentence, the meaning will not be affected.

“In 2007” refers to the verb “surprised”, suggesting that Prada surprised insiders by doing something. It is not referring to Prada being regarded as a high brand. Hence, there is no change in meaning as such.

Thanks.
Shraddha

Thanks for the explanation, but I still have two question. Pls. help.
1. "among....accessories" - what kind of modifier is it?
2. Could it modify the clause "prada surprised"?

Thanks in advance
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 1844 [1] , given: 29

Re: Prada [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2013, 09:42
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Dmitriy wrote:
Thanks for the explanation, but I still have two question. Pls. help.
1. "among....accessories" - what kind of modifier is it?
2. Could it modify the clause "prada surprised"?
Thanks in advance

Dear Dmitriy,
I'm happy to help!

Here's version (C)
In 2007, Italian fashion house Prada, among the most highly regarded manufacturers of clothing and accessories, surprised
many insiders by moving its sneaker production overseas to Vietnam.

The word "among" is a preposition, so what we have here is a prepositional phrase. Prepositional phrase have the core structure
[preposition][noun]
where the noun is called the object of the preposition. That object can be modified by noun modifiers. Here, we have
among = preposition
the most highly regarded = modifiers, modifying the object of the preposition
manufacturers = the object of the preposition
of clothing and accessories = a second prepositional phrase, also modifying the object of the first preposition.

Now, what does this whole thing, "among ... accessories", modify? Prepositional phrases are flexible, and can play one of two roles
(a) adjectival phrase --- like an adjective, they modify a noun
(b) adverbial phrase --- like an adverb, they modify a verb, an action, or an adjective or another adverb
See:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-gramm ... d-clauses/

Here, the prepositional phrase modifier does not modify the action "surprised" --- it does not describe how or when or why Prada performed the action of surprising. Rather, it describes the noun --- it gives us background information about the noun "Prada", and so in this sentence, the prepositional phrase is playing the role of an adjectival phrase.

Does all this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 590 Q40 V30
GPA: 3.98
WE: Project Management (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 16

Re: Prada [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2014, 06:35
egmat wrote:
nishtil wrote:

Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi Shraddha,

I fell for B only because that "prep + ing (by moving)" form deceived me. I learned that "prep + ing" is wrong, what is the correct policy?

thanks in advance

Either suffer the pain of discipline, or suffer the pain of regret.

If my posts are helping you show some love awarding a kudos

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1187

Kudos [?]: 3160 [0], given: 176

Re: Prada [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2014, 08:46
Expert's post
gmat6nplus1 wrote:
Hi Shraddha,

I fell for B only because that "prep + ing (by moving)" form deceived me. I learned that "prep + ing" is wrong, what is the correct policy?

thanks in advance

Hi there,

It's not correct that preposition + ING word is always incorrect on GMAT. Prepositional phrases such as "by moving", "in two letters", etc. act as modifiers. They modify either a Noun Entity or An Action. Because they can modify both these entities, they must be placed close to the entity they intend to modify. As long as the a prepositional phrase modifies the entity is it supposed to modify without any ambiguity whatsoever, their sage is considered correct.

There may be some cases that certain words cannot be used with certain prepositions. But there is no problem with "by + ING word". As long as they modify the correct intended entity in the sentence, they are fine.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Free Webinar: July 26, 2014 - Ace GMAT RC: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to apply the Reading Strategies critical to ace the GMAT Reading Comprehension. Click here to register.

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 1844 [0], given: 29

Re: Prada [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2014, 11:22
Expert's post
gmat6nplus1 wrote:

thanks in advance

Dear gmat6nplus1,
If you don't mind, I would also like to add my two cents on this issue. :-)

First of all, I think it's important to be clear in the terminology. Calling it just an "-ing" word is ambiguous, because the "-ing" form of a verb has three separate roles. See:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/the-ing-form-of-a-verb/
The "-ing" form that acts as a noun and could be the object of a preposition is called a gerund. For more on gerunds and gerund phrases, see:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-gramm ... d-phrases/
It is perfectly correct and acceptable for a gerund to be the object of a preposition: this structure appears in numerous correct answers in the OG. We can use [preposition] + [gerund] as an adjectival phrase, that is to say, as a noun modifier:
I want a chair for reading on the patio.
Without losing the confidence of his men, Washington produced a series of improbable victories.

We also can use [preposition] + [gerund] as an adverbial phrase, that is to say, as a verb modifier:
He learned French by living in Paris for a year.
After winning the battle of Actium, Augustus declared himself Emperor of Rome.
Here's a blog about adjectival phrases & clauses
Here's a blog about adverbial phrases & clauses
There are some instances in which the [preposition] + [gerund] is not adequate --- for example, if we try to substitute the full action of a clause with a preposition and verb form, the GMAT doesn't not like that at all.

Does all this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Re: Prada   [#permalink] 31 Jan 2014, 11:22