Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 03:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Its little tricky. Just wanted to share with you all. The

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Schools: University of Chicago, Wharton School
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Its little tricky. Just wanted to share with you all. The [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2007, 07:06
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Its little tricky. Just wanted to share with you all.

The higher the altitude, the thinner the air. Since Mexico City’s altitude is higher than that of Panama City, the air must be thinner in Mexico City than in Panama City.

Which one of the following arguments is most similar in its reasoning to the argument above?

(A) As one gets older one gets wiser. Since Henrietta is older than her daughter, Henrietta must be wiser than her daughter.
(B) The more egg whites used and the longer they are beaten, the fluffier the meringue. Since Lydia used more egg whites in her meringue than Joseph used in his, Lydia’s meringue must be fluffier than Joseph’s.
(C) The people who run the fastest marathons these days are faster than the people who ran the fastest marathons ten years ago. Charles is a marathon runner. So Charles must run faster marathons these days than he did ten years ago.
(D) The older a tree, the more rings it has. The tree in Lou’s yard is older than the tree in Theresa’s yard. Therefore, the tree in Lou’s yard must have more rings than does the tree in Theresa’s yard.
(E) The bigger the vocabulary a language has, the harder it is to learn. English is harder to learn than Italian. Therefore, English must have a bigger vocabulary than Italian.
VP
VP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: The higher the altitude, the thinner the air [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2007, 07:46
Fistail wrote:

The higher the altitude, the thinner the air. Since Mexico City’s altitude is higher than that of Panama City, the air must be thinner in Mexico City than in Panama City.

Which one of the following arguments is most similar in its reasoning to the argument above?

(A) As one gets older one gets wiser. Since Henrietta is older than her daughter, Henrietta must be wiser than her daughter.
(B) The more egg whites used and the longer they are beaten, the fluffier the meringue. Since Lydia used more egg whites in her meringue than Joseph used in his, Lydia’s meringue must be fluffier than Joseph’s.
(C) The people who run the fastest marathons these days are faster than the people who ran the fastest marathons ten years ago. Charles is a marathon runner. So Charles must run faster marathons these days than he did ten years ago.
(D) The older a tree, the more rings it has. The tree in Lou’s yard is older than the tree in Theresa’s yard. Therefore, the tree in Lou’s yard must have more rings than does the tree in Theresa’s yard.
(E) The bigger the vocabulary a language has, the harder it is to learn. English is harder to learn than Italian. Therefore, English must have a bigger vocabulary than Italian.

Between A and D, I can't reason out the difference. I would pick A though since the sentence structure is closer to the original...

For B, Doesn't mention how Lydia beats the egg. It only uses one condition where it should use both.
For C, We don't know if Charles is the fastest runner
For E, it is reversed. It should be: English has more vocab; thus, harder, not the other way around.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2007, 08:20
One more A
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: The higher the altitude, the thinner the air [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2007, 08:27
bkk145 wrote:
Fistail wrote:

Between A and D, I can't reason out the difference. I would pick A though since the sentence structure is closer to the original...

For B, Doesn't mention how Lydia beats the egg. It only uses one condition where it should use both.
For C, We don't know if Charles is the fastest runner
For E, it is reversed. It should be: English has more vocab; thus, harder, not the other way around.

yah its between A and D, but its D.

see the relationship between "air and mexico city" and "Heneritta and her wiseness".
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: The higher the altitude, the thinner the air [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2007, 08:37
Fistail wrote:
yah its between A and D, but its D.

see the relationship between "air and mexico city" and "Heneritta and her wiseness".

Chose D for same reason.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2007, 09:28
I would go with A. Its assumed that since Mexico city is at an higher altitude than Panama City, the air is thinner. In A, it matches that, since the assumption is made that Henrietta is wiser than her daughter since she is older, like that of the statement.

In case of D, its a fact that the older the tree is the rings are more.

So my choice is A.

Whats the OA on this one.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2007, 09:51
Narrowed down to A and D..i think D is better
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2007, 10:06
tricky stuff...must be LSAT material...
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2007, 10:32
Looks D. Whats the OA
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2007, 10:41
bkk145 wrote:

yah its from LSAT though these kind of questions are no of gmat type.
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2007, 10:45
Fistail wrote:
bkk145 wrote:

Honestly, I think LSAT stuff is good practice because it makes you think more. Although OG is good, it doesn't have enough hard problems...and I feel that verbal is getting more difficult in the real test. Maybe it's just my feeling.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Tuck, Ross (R1), Duke, Tepper, ISB (R2), Kenan Flagler (R2)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2007, 10:50
Between, A and D, I will choose D for the following reason:

In the original sentence, the altitude is a 'property' of a city. And higher is a description for altitude. The air is also another property of the city. A correlation has been described between both these properties. (altitude and air)

In A, it is "one gets older". Here older is a description for a property 'age' (assumed here). But it is not in the same form as the original sentence. This is because, the pattern is <property> becomes <description> . Whereas in the org sentence, it is <description> <property>. Both these are not same. (A) would have been correct, if it was written, "Older a person, wiser he is".

In D, the formation is same as org sentence.

Let me know if my explanation was convoluted. :roll:
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2007, 11:15
bkk145 wrote:
Fistail wrote:
bkk145 wrote:

Honestly, I think LSAT stuff is good practice because it makes you think more. Although OG is good, it doesn't have enough hard problems...and I feel that verbal is getting more difficult in the real test. Maybe it's just my feeling.

agree with you.

considering that many people are being able to score 7xx, i am making a tentative conclusion that verbal (and overall gmat too) is easier under Pearson VUE than under ETS.

what you guys think?
  [#permalink] 28 Aug 2007, 11:15