Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 11:31

Happy Labor Day:

Free Access to New GMATClub Tests for all GMATClub Members!!

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Its making me QUIT SMOKING

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GPA: 3.6
WE: Business Development (Education)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 31

Its making me QUIT SMOKING [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2013, 07:43
This post received
KUDOS
Dear All,

For me my D-day was 5th September, 2013, Teachers day is India.
I was all geared up, had taken 15+ mocks, my last 4 mocks (GMAT prep) had given me consistently 660+ and I was hoping to get 670 at least.
I am good at quant so was not much bothered about it. I reached 40 minutes early to test center, ID proof was my passport. I was asked to give a photocopy of it and I did not have it, hence had to run around to get one. CARRY PHOTOCOPY OF YOUR ID-PROOF. I had seen many posts with how to manage stress during exam, and all had one common theme in them, "manage it the way it is right for you".

Below points are understood, you can ignore them:
know where your test center is.
reach 30 mins early.
eat something before your exam (do not hog a lot :lol: )
and all the rest of the things which bb says :wink:

5 in AWA.
Now started with my AWA, topic was pretty crisp, took almost 10 minutes to frame it, had all the ideas on the paper, with my own template. To type took another 15 mins, and I had 5 mins to read my AWA. I was satisfied with my AWA after couple of changes, and was ready for IR.
-->
I had my AWAs been reviewed a lot at different forums and had barely managed to get 3 or at times 3.5, please DO NOT BLINDLY BELIEVE these scores given. Do look at all the recommendations and tips, but do not be disheartened with the scores given at forums.
I could never get more than 3.5 score in forums but got 5 in actual GMAT.
Do make your OWN template, it always helps. [do not copy a template, give GMAT folks a break with something of your own]
-->

7 in IR
IR section I thought was not easy (not too tough); but it started draining me, after solving 6 questions I thought I had put in too much time, I quickly had 2 calculated guesses for next 2 questions and managed my time, you don't want to miss on last 4 questions. So better use your time wisely.

In my break I had 2 bananas, the best energy provider, and lots of fresh air and ready for next section. You do not get complete 8 min break, it is actually 6 mins, 2 mins go into formalities, so while giving mocks take 6 mins break and condition your mind for it.

47 in QUANT
Quant section was quite easy, but had few surprises in between, had very difficult questions based on probability and I put too much time there. This affected my problems after 34, moreover on the last question I marked my answer but could not submit it.
ALL THE EXPERTS PLEASE HELP HERE AM I PENALIZED FOR THIS?, CAN THIS BE A REASON FOR MY LOW SCORE?
<--
Do not get emotionally involved while solving quant, specially Indians (from IIT/NIT, its OK if you don't know a answer, its not CAT :lol: )
Always submit your last answer.
-- >

During the break I kept thinking about the last question of quant which I had not submitted and it drastically affected my confidence.

23 in Verbal
Now came the most feared section, I already nervous, and in that the last question of Quant had taken away my confidence. First 10 questions I did mark confidently, but from 11th, I felt very tired, and lost the grip. I was facing difficult questions and was unable to answer. I tried everything, just to manage time, I guessed 2 questions, and for next 2 took almost 4 minutes but still then I couldn't get the answers. And got a whooping 23 in verbal.

GMAT : 580

But I will be back, I shall not lay my weapons. I will book another date.
GMAT ill be back.

GMATCLUB FOLKS
I really need your help folks, please help me with my Verbal, your verbal questions, criticism, guidance is extremely appreciated. If anyone of you needs help in math, I am always here, You can ping me, mail me, if possible we can even skype. but please please help with my verbal.

My strategy:
early to bed early to rise makes a man healthy wealthy and wise : to study atleast for 3 hours in the morning. [will start my day at 5 am]
SMOKING helps me to relieve my stress, but I work better under pressure, so NO MORE to SMOKING. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
For my verbal prep, I'll put it in my next post.

Adios,
Omkar kulkarni.

---
KUDOS are appreciated; and used to take some of the best tests here.
Please open your heart and send your KUDOS. :-D :) :(
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 3

Re: Its making me QUIT SMOKING [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2013, 21:04
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks for sharing your story Omkar. I have not yet taken up GMAT, but this is gonna help me be in a right frame of mind. The "I'LL BE BACK" attitude has prepped me up after a slag in my preparations. Hope to hear more from you and collabrating with you.

Thanks,

Jayesh

kulkarnios wrote:
Dear All,

For me my D-day was 5th September, 2013, Teachers day is India.
I was all geared up, had taken 15+ mocks, my last 4 mocks (GMAT prep) had given me consistently 660+ and I was hoping to get 670 at least.
I am good at quant so was not much bothered about it. I reached 40 minutes early to test center, ID proof was my passport. I was asked to give a photocopy of it and I did not have it, hence had to run around to get one. CARRY PHOTOCOPY OF YOUR ID-PROOF. I had seen many posts with how to manage stress during exam, and all had one common theme in them, "manage it the way it is right for you".

Below points are understood, you can ignore them:
know where your test center is.
reach 30 mins early.
eat something before your exam (do not hog a lot :lol: )
and all the rest of the things which bb says :wink:

5 in AWA.
Now started with my AWA, topic was pretty crisp, took almost 10 minutes to frame it, had all the ideas on the paper, with my own template. To type took another 15 mins, and I had 5 mins to read my AWA. I was satisfied with my AWA after couple of changes, and was ready for IR.
-->
I had my AWAs been reviewed a lot at different forums and had barely managed to get 3 or at times 3.5, please DO NOT BLINDLY BELIEVE these scores given. Do look at all the recommendations and tips, but do not be disheartened with the scores given at forums.
I could never get more than 3.5 score in forums but got 5 in actual GMAT.
Do make your OWN template, it always helps. [do not copy a template, give GMAT folks a break with something of your own]
-->

7 in IR
IR section I thought was not easy (not too tough); but it started draining me, after solving 6 questions I thought I had put in too much time, I quickly had 2 calculated guesses for next 2 questions and managed my time, you don't want to miss on last 4 questions. So better use your time wisely.

In my break I had 2 bananas, the best energy provider, and lots of fresh air and ready for next section. You do not get complete 8 min break, it is actually 6 mins, 2 mins go into formalities, so while giving mocks take 6 mins break and condition your mind for it.

47 in QUANT
Quant section was quite easy, but had few surprises in between, had very difficult questions based on probability and I put too much time there. This affected my problems after 34, moreover on the last question I marked my answer but could not submit it.
ALL THE EXPERTS PLEASE HELP HERE AM I PENALIZED FOR THIS?, CAN THIS BE A REASON FOR MY LOW SCORE?
<--
Do not get emotionally involved while solving quant, specially Indians (from IIT/NIT, its OK if you don't know a answer, its not CAT :lol: )
Always submit your last answer.
-- >

During the break I kept thinking about the last question of quant which I had not submitted and it drastically affected my confidence.

23 in Verbal
Now came the most feared section, I already nervous, and in that the last question of Quant had taken away my confidence. First 10 questions I did mark confidently, but from 11th, I felt very tired, and lost the grip. I was facing difficult questions and was unable to answer. I tried everything, just to manage time, I guessed 2 questions, and for next 2 took almost 4 minutes but still then I couldn't get the answers. And got a whooping 23 in verbal.

GMAT : 580

But I will be back, I shall not lay my weapons. I will book another date.
GMAT ill be back.

GMATCLUB FOLKS
I really need your help folks, please help me with my Verbal, your verbal questions, criticism, guidance is extremely appreciated. If anyone of you needs help in math, I am always here, You can ping me, mail me, if possible we can even skype. but please please help with my verbal.

My strategy:
early to bed early to rise makes a man healthy wealthy and wise : to study atleast for 3 hours in the morning. [will start my day at 5 am]
SMOKING helps me to relieve my stress, but I work better under pressure, so NO MORE to SMOKING. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
For my verbal prep, I'll put it in my next post.

Adios,
Omkar kulkarni.

---
KUDOS are appreciated; and used to take some of the best tests here.
Please open your heart and send your KUDOS. :-D :) :(
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 27

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Its making me QUIT SMOKING [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2013, 22:51
This post received
KUDOS
Hey ,
I had exactly the same Score on GMAT and exactly the same scores on Mock Tests.
I can relate to your story very well. I am now working on my verbal score.Will be writing my GMAT i n November hope to better my score.

Please DO let me know if you following any specific plan or strategy for Verbal Score.

Regards.
Abhinav

Regards,
Abhinav

GMAT 1 - 580 (Q47 V23) a-tight-slap-on-face-149457.html

GMAT 2 - 670 (Q48 V34) 670-one-month-off-from-office-and-2-months-hard-work-163761.html#p1297561

“If you don't change your life; your life will change you.”

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GPA: 3.6
WE: Business Development (Education)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 31

Re: Its making me QUIT SMOKING [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2013, 10:52
OG is the key Abhinav. You have to lick all the SC RC CR questions.

How many of you tried to quit smoking and still trying ;)

-- Omkar
Re: Its making me QUIT SMOKING   [#permalink] 22 Oct 2013, 10:52