Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 23:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

...its over for me

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

...its over for me [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2006, 13:04
Its over for me. I never imagined not achieving my target (700) on this test … finding it hard to believe that I missed it again. I scored 680.

Here's my experience:
I studied for about 6 months though with a number of breaks. I did all OG 10 questions and SC from MGMAT. Also, did most of the 1000SC questions. Browsed the forum a lot. My practice scores:

PR CAT1 – 620
PR CAT2 - 660

GMAT prep1 - 700
GMAT prepII - 740

MGMAT 1- 660
MGMAT 2- 680

GMAT Nov’05 660 (??)
GMAT Mar’06 680 (Q48, V35)

I have taken both the ETS & VUE GMAT test. I found the Math on Vue to be much harder. Between Question 12 and 25 there were a number of tough questions that were simply taking a lot of time to work out and then all hell broke loose…guessed on a few questions to finish on time. I thought that my math was so badly %^$ up that I think it affected my performance in Verbal. Verbal was Ok, about. the same as GMAT prep, I guess.

The limited number of test centers and test times available with VUE is ridiculous. ETS always seemed to have many more centers and times available.

Because of my situation job, family etc., I do not think I will be able to devote any more time to GMAT. That’s it!

I initially wanted to apply to Part-time programs at Chicago and NYU. I am not sure if I have to reconsider my options now.

Finally, the most important part: This forum rocks!! I learned a lot from you guys. Thank you.
Great people. Great discussions. Great spirit.

Good Luck.

Believe2

Last edited by believe2 on 21 Mar 2006, 15:20, edited 1 time in total.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2006, 14:51
Dude, relax. 680 is plenty to get into any top program. I love how people all of sudden think they need a 770 to be consider at a top 20 program.

Close to 35% of students at Kellogg in 2005 had a score less than 700.

And if you're considering the PT programs, then a 680 is top notch.

Concentrate on your essays. You've nailed the GMAT.

...unless you're an Indian IT, then you need a 770 :)
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2006, 15:52
...I think you are right. I overreacted. Just back from the center, I was disappointed because 680 is below the part-time avg. at NYU. But thanks for showing me the “Big pictureâ€
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2006, 11:45
Have you heard back from any schools yet?

And you may be in better shape than you think. I took a 730 in the GMAT, but my undergrad GPA was ... 2.06

Granted, that was in 1983, so all those years on my resume will soften it a bit. But still, one reason I didn't go after my MBA earlier was my poor grade work when I was young and foolish.

Count your blessings.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2006, 13:18
680 is a very good score!! Congrats :beer

I think you should not be sad about your score, but happily deal with your applicaitons..

All the best ..
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck'08
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2006, 17:44
Create a nice story and sell yourself well to the AdCom.
Honnestly, don't worry about your 680 because it can lead you really everywhere depending on the other aspects of your profile. The GMAT will not make you accepted for sure in a program but it can for sure strongly reduces your chances if you score too low, the idea is to be sure that your application will not be hurt by your GMAT score and in your case it's sure. Now take time to work on your profile and essays.

Good luck

Antoine
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2006, 18:07
Believe2,
Do,nt worry you will get accept in your intended insitution. can you tell me the level of difficulity of QT section compare to OG. Again thanks for all of the feedback you provided me to imporve my math skills. Wish your good luck for your admission.
ma466
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2006, 09:02
Thanks for the kind words and the suggestions. I will try to put together a strong application. I am planning to apply for the fall deadline.

MA466: I think once I got past the first 5-6 questions, I did see some solid quant questions. Everything, except for a couple of questions, was solvable but some were taking time. On an average, in my opinion, in my first attempt, the quant was similar to OG 10 but in the second I did see more higher level questions. I got 49 and 48 on my quant respectively.
But do not fret. Even after guessing on a number of questions I somehow ended up with 48. (...may be some difficult Q's were experimental)

Good Luck!

Important Disclaimer: The opinion expressed by the author are his/her personal views and may not be taken as the general opinion of all test takers. In addition, the sample size is not high enough for generalization.
  [#permalink] 24 Mar 2006, 09:02