Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Dec 2014, 10:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

IU - Kelley

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [2] , given: 0

IU - Kelley [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2008, 17:51
This post received
KUDOS
Hey everyone out there,

If anyone from last year is around I am sure you all know me already. I was a history undergrad, worked in brokerage pre-MBA, had some CFA experience, and decided I wanted to get an MBA with an emphasis in finance. I wanted to work in investment management and the CFA alone was definately not enough to break into the industry with my liberal arts background. I knew from the CFA I could be effective at any b-school in this country, but with a 680 not every school agreed. Yet some others gave me significant financial aid, and after a great visit with an enthusastic faculty and student body I decided to attend Indiana University's Kelley School of Business. I was ranking obsessed at first and I didn't really know much about Kelley until they sent me some literature and I realized they were B-week ranked 18th. I have done very well here, getting a 4.0 in my first semester, my brokerage experience was from a very reputable company, and my CFA experience came into play for internship interviews (sometimes it is just a matter of getting your foot in the door). I wasnt sure if wanted to do fixed income or equity IM when I came here, but I have since fell in love with fixed. I will be going to a well known midwestern firm with 236 billion, mostly fixed, in assets under management. The COO of the firm is a Kelley alum and wants to have lunch with me when I arrive. I went with this midwest firm because I liked the department, the people, the flexibility of the internship, and the name... but if I had wanted to get back east (I am from NH) I am certain I could have done that. Motivated, strong students here are extremely successful here. I strongly encourage you if you are looking for a b-school that will appreciate your strong background and business knowledge to apply to Kelley. Feel free to send me your questions. I have noticed a few more posts than last year... nice to see the interest!

Mark
VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 0

Re: IU - Kelley [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2008, 18:23
Hey Mark, long time no see. Congrats on the job!

L.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 344 [0], given: 14

Re: IU - Kelley [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2008, 18:37
Thanks for the post Mark! Good to hear you're doing well there! Kelley seemed like a good school and I was very impressed by the handwritten note that a student wrote to try to get me to apply. I probably would have if I didn't want to stay on the West Coast.

It's always good to hear that rankings isn't everything! :)

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: IU - Kelley [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2008, 18:45
Well... we do alright there. :) Indiana isn't bad, IU is a very big school. If you like ethnic cuisine Bloomington has a ton... I have a Malaysian resturant in town that I like alot. Oddly Bloomington is also the American home of the Dalai Lama... go figure.
VP
VP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Re: IU - Kelley [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2008, 19:43
Welcome Mark!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: IU - Kelley [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2008, 20:17
Hey Mark...I'm actually a grad student now at IU (Sport Management in the HPER) and I am pretty sure I'll be coming across the street next year with a Consortium fellowship. Since I'm here already, we should hook up to talk a little more about the school.

In any case, congrats on the job, and talk to you later.

Actually, check your PM, haha.
Re: IU - Kelley   [#permalink] 31 Jan 2008, 20:17