Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 16:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ivey vs Rotman vs Queen's

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Re: Ivey vs Rotman vs Queen's [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2012, 21:22
warrak2000 wrote:
alwaysursgd wrote:
Guys,

Thanks for the informative insight you all have provided. But I can't see any comments about Queens. I've already got an admit into their 1 year program and I still have the option of applying to Ivey. Please suggest.

P.S.: I talked to few alums and current students of Queens and they are saying that there is not much of difference between the two schools in terms of quality of education, placements etc except the difference of approach (case studies only in Ivey and mix of case studies and lectures in Queens)

First, don't expect the students at Queens to advise you to apply to Ivey ;-)

Nevertheless, both schools are considered as Elite, however Ivey always has an edge over other Canadian business schools.

In the latest QS report - the employer index for Queen's was 71.3 while Ivey got 94 which is same index as Michigan Ross. With that being said the reputation of Ivey among employers is way higher than Queen's.

If you really want to study business in Canada and got admitted to both schools, go for Ivey with your eyes closed.

Good luck,

Thanks warrak2000, I was also under the same impression that Ivey enjoys better repo among employers. In case I couldn't get into Ivey for any reason, is it ok if I join Queen's or should I wait for next year and re-apply to Ivey?

What I understand is that Ivey is considered better b'cos of its case studies based teaching methodology. Is that the only reason why it has an edge over Queen's or are there other reasons as well?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Ivey vs Rotman vs Queen's [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 10:09
Dear deadlycat,

I believe you have posted these comments about Ryerson MBA without doing any research on its program. If you did, please let me know on what basis do you say that Ryerson's degree is useless. I do know a couple of people who did their degrees from Rotman and Queen's and are still searching a job over 10 months now after their MBA degree. And one of my friend who is a Ryerson's MBA graduate is earning 90,000/year. And having low tution fees doesn't mean that it is because of university's bad or low reputation. eg. University of Guelph is so expensive as compared to these two and they don't even need GMAT score to admit a monkey. Please do not misguide people without any facts and figures.

To conclude, I would say that it is not the brand that makes a person successfull, it is person's ability and skills that help him finding a job. Brand does matter up to some extent but Ryerson is not a bad brand at all.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Ivey vs Rotman vs Queen's [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 10:25
karanme03148 wrote:
Dear deadlycat,

I believe you have posted these comments about Ryerson MBA without doing any research on its program. If you did, please let me know on what basis do you say that Ryerson's degree is useless. I do know a couple of people who did their degrees from Rotman and Queen's and are still searching a job over 10 months now after their MBA degree. And one of my friend who is a Ryerson's MBA graduate is earning 90,000/year. And having low tution fees doesn't mean that it is because of university's bad or low reputation. eg. University of Guelph is so expensive as compared to these two and they don't even need GMAT score to admit a monkey. Please do not misguide people without any facts and figures.

To conclude, I would say that it is not the brand that makes a person successfull, it is person's ability and skills that help him finding a job. Brand does matter up to some extent but Ryerson is not a bad brand at all.

I guess it depends on the individual graduating/personality/experience. If you got none, then how will you get a job??? Obviously one will choose Rotman/Ivey/Schulich over Ryerson on any given day , assuming no other factors are involved other than the schools reputation it self. I think on average, people are more successful coming out Rotman, Ivey, and Schulich than the smaller schools because better/bigger employers recruit there. That being said, if you go to Ryerson and come out making 90K, thats pretty good. I think the average income coming out of Ryerson is 84K. So if you cant get in the big ones, Ryerson seems to be a safe choice. I think I would have gone to Ryerson, if I didn't get accepted to the big schools....But thats just me..
Manager
Manager
Schools: York University (Schulich) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE: Engineering (Education)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 10

Re: Ivey vs Rotman vs Queen's [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 10:30
karanme03148 wrote:
Dear deadlycat,

Perhaps you would like to offer some of this facts and research instead of stooping to my level and offering up anecdotal evidences :)
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Ivey vs Rotman vs Queen's [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 10:37
You are absolutely right! It is person's experience and skill sets that help him to find a job. I do understand that brand is very important and Rotman and Ivey are definitely bigger brands than Ryerson. Anyone would prefer these schools over Ryerson. I just want to say that Ryerson is not a bad school at all although it is not as big in terms of a brand and that it's degree is really not useless.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.43
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ivey vs Rotman vs Queen's [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2014, 12:05
Hi,

I am new here. I got selected at Ivey and Queen's, both with scholarship. Which college do I chose?
Re: Ivey vs Rotman vs Queen's   [#permalink] 29 Jul 2014, 12:05